Saturday February 16, 2019
Home India HC notice to ...

HC notice to govt on Reliance Power plea against coal block cancellation

0
//

Credits: https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAYQjB1qFQoTCNvK0pi038YCFQPEjgodQJ8Gkg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.livemint.com%2FCompanies%2FxVzY8KHjnlvpokfvSrVAuM%2FAnil-Ambanis-Reliance-Group-Chinas-Wanda-to-form-JV.html&ei=xIKnVdvYBYOIuwTAvpqQCQ&bvm=bv.97949915,d.c2E&psig=AFQjCNGMFw6B-S3yAE3is9AJqPKKhaUAbg&ust=1437127716377216New Delhi: The Delhi High Court issued notice to the central government on Tuesday, regarding a plea of Reliance Power challenging withdrawal of the Chhatrasal coal block for the company’s Sasan ultra mega power project in Madhya Pradesh.

A division bench of Chief Justice G.Rohini and Justice Jayant Nath sought response from the central government by October 6.

The company in the plea has said the relevant gazette notification of May 7 by which the letter allotting the coal black was cancelled has been challenged. It has contended that prior to bid submission for the projects, three coal blocks – Moher, Moher-Amlohri Extension and Chhatrasal – having a reserve of around 800 million tonnes were set aside for Sasan Power, a wholly-owned subsidiary then of the state-run Power Finance Corp.

Reliance Power has argued that the allocation of the three blocks and the availability of coal in the lifetime of the reserve availability was an integral part of bidding terms and conditions. It was the main reason why a competitive tariff of Rs.1.196 per unit was bid by Reliance Power, it added.

The company has also held that the cancellation of the notification, based on a judgment of the Supreme Court, was not not legally tenable.

It has contended that the Sep 14 order did not make the coal blocks allotted to Sasan project its subject matter.

The company further contended that the court had specifically exempted the blocks in the order.

The Supreme Court had cancelled all but four of the 218 coal blocks that were allocated by the government over the past two decades. But the bench of then Chief Justice R.M. Lodha had exempted four blocks allotted to Reliance Power, NTPC and SAIL.

In April this year, the Anil Ambani-led Reliance Power had said that it has fully attained commercial operations of the Rs.27,000 crore Sasan ultra mega power project, 12 months ahead of schedule, with all the six units generating a total of 3,960 MW of electricity.

The group had also said this was not only the largest integrated coal-mining-cum-power project at a single location in the world, but that the 20-million Moher and Moher-Amlohri mines, which were also fully operational, were the largest in the country.

(IANS)

Next Story

Delhi High Court Dismisses Plea Seeking Regulation on Netflix, Amazon Prime

The plea had also sought an order to the ministries to direct the online platforms "to remove legally restricted content with immediate effect"

0
India
A gardener works on the lawns of the Supreme Court in New Delhi, India, Aug. 22, 2017. India's Chief Justice of the Supreme Court has presided over a string of verdicts in recent weeks that grant more rights to women, gay couples and religious minorities as he prepares to retire from the bench next month. VOA

The Delhi High Court Friday dismissed a plea seeking framing of guidelines by government to regulate the functioning of online media streaming platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.

A bench of Chief Justice Rajendra Menon and Justice V K Rao rejected the petition after the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting informed it that online platforms are not required to obtain any licence from the ministry.

Central government standing counsel Vikram Jetly said the content on online platforms is not being regulated by the ministry.

The court had earlier made it clear that it was not issuing notice on the petition by NGO Justice for Rights Foundation but was only seeking the government’s response on the plea which also alleged that the online media streaming platforms show “uncertified, sexually explicit and vulgar” content.

In its plea filed through advocate Harpreet S Hora, the NGO had claimed that online media streaming platforms, that also include Hotstar, show content which is “unregulated and uncertified” for public viewing.

Netflix.

The court had asked the Centre’s counsel to seek instructions as to whether the alleged broadcasting on the online platforms is based on any licence or regulatory measures provided by government or any regulatory body.

The plea had claimed that television series like “Sacred Games”, “Game of Thrones” and “Spartacus”, shown on platforms like Netflix, contain “vulgar, profane, sexually explicit, pornographic, morally unethical and virulent” content which often “depict women in objectifying manner”.

Also Read- Accusing Without Formal Complaint is Not Authentic: Kailash Kher on #MeToo

It had sought directions to the ministries of communication, information and broadcasting as well as law and justice to frame guidelines to regulate such platforms and the content they broadcast.

The plea had also sought an order to the ministries to direct the online platforms “to remove legally restricted content with immediate effect”. (IANS)