- Twitter keeps a record of requests made by the countries
- Removal Requests can be made by the Judicial body or Government agency of the country.
- Turkey has made the most number of requests in past year.
Every year twitter releases the transparency report, this report contain information about how a country uses twitter, how these countries needs information from twitter, claims of copyrights, trademark notice and email privacy. This report also has information about removal request made by each countries.
Follow NewsGram at Twitter: @NewsGram1
These removal request counts are made every 6 months and published by the website. Not all the request made by countries are fulfilled. The removal requests can be made by the judicial systems of the country (court orders) or by the agencies of the country and by the country’s police.
From 2012 the requests made by countries having been increasing but second half of 2015 has seen the highest removal request ever made in the history of the twitter.
According to the report the countries which have made the highest request are
- Turkey: Turkey made a total of 2211 requests in which 450 were ordered by the court and rest (1761) were made by the police and government agencies. Out of these 2211 request 23% of content has withheld.
- Russia: at the second Russia made a total of 1735 request where the government agencies and police made about 1729 request and only 5 were made by the judicial body.
- France: France made a total out 154 removal requests. 150 were made by the police and the government agencies and 4 by the court.
- Mongolia: Even magnolia has made more request than countries like Germany, UK, and India. It has made a total 111 request.
- United States: America was a no brainer and must have expected by everyone and yes they have also made about 101 which sadly keeps them at 5th in this list.
Other than these 5 countries only South Korea has made more than 50 requests. Even India has made 40 requests which is more than countries like UK, Brazil, Japan, Canada, Italy and Germany.
Compiled by Bhaskar Raghavendran. Bhaskar is a graduate in Journalism and mass communication and a reporter at NewsGram. Twitter handle: bhaskar_ragha
- Microsoft shuts AI-bot after twitteratti teaches it racism
- Twitter used by illegal online pharmacies to pedal drugs
- Account Hacked? Kirti Azad calls Arun Jaitley ‘Impotent’ on Twitter