Wednesday March 20, 2019
Home India Indian Govern...

Indian Government to closely engage with authorities of other Countries over Indians’ Safety

0
//
Donald Trump Wikimedia

New Delhi, March 1, 2017: With US President Donald Trump condemning the fatal shooting at a bar in Kansas last week that claimed the life of an Indian techie, the Indian government on Wednesday said that it will closely engage with authorities of other countries wherever the safety of Indians is concerned.

“The safety of Indians all over the world is a matter of the highest priority for the government,” said External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Gopal Baglay.

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.

“You saw that the senior authorities of the United States and Kansas where this unfortunate took place, they had a very clear and categorical approach to such crimes.

“They have condemned it, they have said that they will prosecute, investigate this crime very fully… President Trump himself condemned the killing and the government will remain very closely engaged with authorities in other countries wherever the safety of Indians is concerned.”

Trump began his first address to Congress at the Capitol Hill on Tuesday by condemning the fatal attack on Srinivas Kuchibhotla, saying the country “stands united in condemning hate and evil”.

“Last week’s shooting in Kansas city reminds us that while we may be a nation divided on policies, we are a country that stands united in condemning hate and evil in all its forms,” he said.

Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues.

Kuchibhotla, 32, was killed and his colleague Alok Madasani was injured when US Navy veteran Adam W. Purinton fired at them at the Austin’s Bar & Grill in Olathe, Kansas state, on February 22.

Purinton reportedly got into an argument with the two and hurled racial slurs. He yelled “get out of my country” before shooting them.

Ian Grillot, a 24-year-old American, who tried to save the Indians, was hit by a bullet that pierced his hand and then lodged in his chest. He has since been hospitalised and is in fair condition.

A White House spokeswoman said the shooting appeared to be “an act of racially motivated hatred”.

Look for latest news from India in NewsGram.

“The President is keeping the family of the victim, who was senselessly killed, in his thoughts, and we’re praying for the full and speedy recovery of those wounded,” Trump’s Principal Deputy Press Secretary Sarah Sander said on Tuesday.

“We want to reiterate that the President condemns these and any other racially — or religiously — motivated attacks in the strongest terms.” (IANS)

Next Story

White House Condemns Any Link of President Donald Trump to Accused New Zealand Shooter

Trump was widely attacked in the aftermath of a deadly white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017 when he equated white supremacists with counter-protesters, saying "both sides" were to blame and that there were "fine people" on both sides of the protest.

0
U.S.
In this Jan. 2, 2019, file photo White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney listens as President Donald Trump speaks during a Cabinet meeting at the White House in Washington. VOA

The White House on Sunday rejected any attempt to link President Donald Trump to the white supremacist accused of gunning down 50 people at two New Zealand mosques.

“The president is not a white supremacist,” acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney told the “Fox News Sunday” show. “I’m not sure how many times we have to say that. Let’s take what happened in New Zealand [Friday] for what it is: a terrible evil tragic act.”

Donald Trump
The statement renewed criticism that Trump has not voiced strong enough condemnation of white nationalists. VOA

Alleged gunman Brenton Harris Tarrant, a 28-year-old Australian, said in a 74-page manifesto he released shortly before the massacre unfolded at mosques in Christchurch that he viewed Trump as “a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose” but did not support his policies.

The statement renewed criticism that Trump has not voiced strong enough condemnation of white nationalists.

Asked Friday after the mosque attacks whether he sees an increase in white nationalism, Trump said, “I don’t really. I think it’s a small group of people that have very, very serious problems, I guess.” He said he had not seen the manifesto.

Mulvaney said, “I don’t think it’s fair to cast this person as a supporter of Donald Trump any more than it is to look at his eco-terrorist passages in that manifesto and align him with [Democratic House Speaker] Nancy Pelosi or Ms. Ocasio-Cortez,” Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a Democratic congresswoman.

“This was a disturbed individual, an evil person,” he said.

Donald Trump
“The president is not a white supremacist,” acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney told the “Fox News Sunday” show. “I’m not sure how many times we have to say that. Let’s take what happened in New Zealand [Friday] for what it is: a terrible evil tragic act.” VOA
Scott Brown, the U.S. ambassador to New Zealand, told CNN that he gave no credence to Tarrant’s comments about Trump in the manifesto, saying the accused gunman “is rotten to the core.” Brown said he hopes Tarrant is convicted “as quickly as he can be” and the key to his prison cell thrown away.

Also Read: Did You Know? IOM States Latin America as World’s Deadliest Route for Migrants

Trump was widely attacked in the aftermath of a deadly white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017 when he equated white supremacists with counter-protesters, saying “both sides” were to blame and that there were “fine people” on both sides of the protest.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, one of numerous Democrats seeking the party’s presidential nomination to oppose Trump in the 2020 election, said on Twitter after the New Zealand attack, “Time and time again, this president has embraced and emboldened white supremacists and instead of condemning racist terrorists, he covers for them. This isn’t normal or acceptable.” (VOA)