Saturday May 25, 2019
Home Indian Diaspora Indian migran...

Indian migrant Ram Lubhaya deported for ‘abducting’ girl from a beach resort near Ragusa, Italy

In August, Justice minister Andrea Orlando has sent inspectors to the Ragusa city prosecutor’s office after Ram Lubhaya was caught trying to abduct a 5-year-old girl

0
//
Child abduction (Representational Image). Image source: Wikimedia Commons

Rome, September 7, 2016: Italy has deported a 43-year-old Indian migrant Ram Lubhaya who last month in August has tried to abduct a young girl from a beach resort near Ragusa in Italy.

Interior Minister Angelino Alfano said Lubhaya had been put on a plane from Rome to New Delhi. The incident took place on August 16. Last month, he was released because attempted kidnapping is a non-carcerable offence under Italian law, mentioned PTI reports.

In August, Justice minister Andrea Orlando has sent inspectors to the Ragusa city prosecutor’s office after Ram Lubhaya was caught trying to abduct a 5-year-old girl.

The girl’s parents had chased and fought with Lubhaya to get their child out of this clutch. Within an hour, Lubhaya was arrested based on eyewitness descriptions, reported ANSA news agency.

Prosecutor Giulia Bisello ordered the man – who has a criminal record, no residency permit, and currently makes a living by creating henna tattoos on the beach where he also sometimes spends the night – released without questioning.

Her decision sparked an outcry on social media and a wave of calls from concerned beachgoers to police emergency services, which prompted Bisello to track the suspect and get him arrested again.

However, after questioning him for several hours, the prosecutors ordered his release again, based on the legal code.

“This law makes me vomit,” said the child’s mother. “We were told the suspect did not conclude the crime — we were supposed to lose sight of him in order to say he kidnapped our little girl,” mentioned the PTI report.

The suspect, she said, only stopped “because we tackled him. He was holding her very tight, with her face almost in his armpit. We were hoping this person would be deported from Italy at least”.

While prosecutors’ decisions can’t be challenged, Orlando’s inspectors are tasked with assessing whether there were any “abnormalities or violations of the law that could be subject to disciplinary action”, the ministry said.

– prepared by NewsGram team 

Next Story

Italy to Launch an Anti-competition Investigation Against Google

In India, earlier in May, the CCI ordered a probe into Google for alleged abuse of its popular Android OS to block rivals

0
Google, smart compose
The Google name is displayed outside the company's office in London, Britain. VOA

Joining the Competition Commission of India (CCI) and the European Union (EU), Italy’s antitrust authority has become the latest international regulatory body to launch an anti-competition investigation against Google.

The probe was prompted after Italy-based energy company Enel Group complained that Google was not allowing the “Enel X Recharge” app to work with Android Auto — Google’s smart driving companion, The Verge reported on Friday.

Usually, the search engine giant allows third-party developers to develop Android Auto-compatible versions of their apps, but only if they offer media or messaging services.

Since “Enel X Recharge” is intended to help drivers find charging stations for electric cars, the app does not necessarily require a messaging feature.

google, online tracking
A man walks past a Google sign outside with a span of the Bay Bridge at rear in San Francisco, May 1, 2019. VOA

“Android Auto is designed with safety in mind, to minimise distractions and to ensure apps can be used safely when driving. We are reviewing the complaint and we look forward to working with the authority to resolve their concerns,” the repost quoted a Google spokesperson as saying.

Also Read- Spotify Begins Testing its First Hardware: A Voice Assistant for Car

In India, earlier in May, the CCI ordered a probe into Google for alleged abuse of its popular Android OS to block rivals.

The EU’s antitrust regulators in March fined Google 1.49 billion euros ($1.7 billion) for abusing its dominance in the online search market by blocking rivals. (IANS)