Tuesday September 17, 2019
Home World IS claims res...

IS claims responsibility for the bomb-attack on Yemeni mosque that killed 28 people and wounded 78

0
//
www.infoplease.com

By NewsGram Staff-Writer

Sanaa, Yemen: Yemeni branch of the Islamic State has claimed responsibility for two bombings in a northern district of Sanaa, the capital of Yemen.

ISISThe bombs that killed 28 people and wounded another 78, were exploded at Houthis controlled al-Mo’ayyad mosque which is located al-Jarraf neighborhood of Sanaa, according to a report in Economic Times.

The details of the blast have been broadcasted by the Houthi-controlled Saba news agency which said that the first blast was due to a suicide bomber and the second was due to a car bomb. The suicide bomber exploded inside the mosque and consequently, the car bomb exploded outside the mosque that targeted the medics.

Houthis are Shi’ite Muslims and hence are aligned with Iran. Therefore, IS that follows Salafism of Sunni Islam considers them as heretics.

Yemen is witnessing a civil war for last many months. Last year, Houthis seized control of the capital Sanaa from the Saudi-backed government. In March, the war escalated when Saudi-led Arab states intervened to take back control from the Houthis and re-instate the Saudi-backed government.

Next Story

UN: Cholera Cases in Yemen Increased to 4,60,000

The U.N.'s $4.2 billion humanitarian appeal to help over 20 million Yemenis this year is only 32 percent funded

0
cholera
FILE - Women are treated for suspected cholera infection at Al-Sabeen hospital, in Sanaa, Yemen, Mar. 30, 2019. VOA

The U.N. says over 460,000 suspected cholera cases have been recorded in war-battered Yemen so far this year — a sharp rise from the 380,000 cases for all of 2018. U.N. deputy spokesman Farhan Haq says 705 suspected cholera deaths have been recorded since January — a dramatic increase from the 75 deaths in the same period last year.

Haq says the spread of cholera has been accelerated by recent flash flooding, poor maintenance of waste management systems and lack of access to clean water.

ALSO READ: Cutoff of Internet Service at Rakhine, Chin States Creates Difficulty for Civilians who Cannot Access Donors Online to Make Aid Requests

The U.N. and its partners are operating nearly 1,200 cholera treatment facilities across Yemen, but Haq says “funding remains an urgent issue.” The U.N.’s $4.2 billion humanitarian appeal to help over 20 million Yemenis this year is only 32 percent funded. (VOA)