Monday October 22, 2018
Home India Kashmir Viole...

Kashmir Violence: Two killed as India blames Pakistan for Kashmir trouble

A continuous curfew imposed 10 days ago, a shutdown called by separatist and a media lockdown by the government continued hitting the normal life in the restive valley

1
//
426
Violence Struck Kashmir. Image Source: newsdog.today
Republish
Reprint
  • Two fresh killings occurred in south Kashmir’s Qazigund area – known as the gateway of Kashmir – on the Srinagar-Jammu National Highway
  • People complained of severe hardships due to security restrictions and separatist-called shutdown
  • The death toll in the unrest triggered by the July 8 killing of the killing of 22-year-old of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani has mounted to 43

Srinagar/ New Delhi, July 18: Two more civilians, including a middle-aged woman, were killed in fresh firing by security forces in Kashmir on Monday with India squarely blaming Pakistan for the fresh unrest in the valley that has killed dozens in the days of widespread violent unrest.

A continuous curfew imposed 10 days ago, a shutdown called by separatist and a media lockdown by the government continued hitting the normal life in the restive valley.

Police sources told IANS that two fresh killings occurred in south Kashmir’s Qazigund area – known as the gateway of Kashmir – on the Srinagar-Jammu National Highway.

The sources said army personnel allegedly opened fire at stone-throwing mob who had blocked the road near the Chhurrath village in Qazigund, some 70 km from here. At least four persons were injured and two of them – Syeedah Akhtar, 45, and Showkat Ahmed, 26, – succumbed to their injuries in a hospital.

As the Kashmir Valley continues to be on the boil, the death toll in the unrest triggered by the July 8 killing of the killing of 22-year-old of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani has mounted to 43.

Burhan Muzaffar Wani. Image source: www.india.com
Burhan Muzaffar Wani. Image source: www.india.com

Wani, with a huge fan following, was the social-media-savvy poster boy of new age militancy in Kashmir.

In New Delhi, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh in Parliament refuted the charges of use of excessive force on protesting civilians and stressed that on the contrary, the security forces had been asked to use maximum restraint and the least force.

Follow NewsGram on Facebook: @NewsGram2

Singh, as well as Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, blamed Pakistan for the situation in Kashmir and said Islamabad has never reconciled to Jammu and Kashmir being part of India.

Refuting Congress’ charge that the state government had mishandled or failed to handle the bloody unrest, Jaitley said: “Pakistan never reconciled the fact that Jammu and Kashmir is an integral part of India” and it would be wrong to think that the situation deteriorated because of anything else, but Pakistan supporting terrorism in the violence-ravaged state.

The Finance Minister said that in Jammu and Kashmir it was the battle between the country and Pakistan-sponsored separatist forces.

Srinagar: Protesters throwing stones on police vehicle during a protest following the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Muzaffar Wani along with his two associates, in Srinagar on Saturday. PTI Photo by S Irfan (PTI7_9_2016_000126B)
Srinagar: Protesters throwing stones on police vehicle during a protest following the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Muzaffar Wani along with his two associates, in Srinagar on Saturday. PTI Photo by S Irfan (PTI7_9_2016_000126B)

As the opposition decried the state and central governments’ role in handling the situation, media ban continued and no newspapers were published for the third day on Monday. The gag is expected to continue on Tuesday.

The information blackout has led to very little being reported from parts of the valley, particularly from south Kashmir which has been the worst hit in the turmoil. Most of the deaths in the current unrest have been from this region.

Follow NewsGram on Twitter: @newsgram1

Authorities have imposed a blanket ban on newspapers, asking their editors and owners not to publish till July 19. Journalists fear that the ban may be extended till there is some “semblance” of normalcy on Kashmir streets.

All mobile phone services, including internet and call facilities, have been snapped across the valley. Limited call facility continued on post-paid cell phones provided by Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL).

Shops, businesses, banks, private and government offices remained closed. People complained of severe hardships due to security restrictions and separatist-called shutdown.

People, who have been restricted to their homes due the curfew and shutdown, complained of severe hardships. They say they have not been able to buy and stock essentials due to incessant restrictions.

Closure of the strategic Jammu-Srinagar National Highway for over a week has caused the shortage of essential items. All supplies of essentials items are routed into the landlocked valley through this highway — the only road link that connects Kashmir with the rest of India.

A police spokesperson said incidents of stone pelting in at least a dozen place across the valley in which some persons and police and paramilitary troopers were injured.

Earlier, a ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) lawmaker was seriously injured when his vehicle met with an accident following an alleged mob attack, also in Pulwama.

Mohammed Khalil Bandh was travelling from his home in Pulwama to Srinagar “in the dead of the night” when the accident occurred, a police spokesperson told IANS here, adding that there was “some confusion” about the incident.

“We don’t know if it was really a mob attack. We have a report that his vehicle was chased by an unruly mob, causing the accident. But another version says people gathered after his vehicle overturned,” said the police spokesperson. (IANS)

ALSO READ:

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

  • Shaikh Mansar

    Whenever oppressed people of Kashmir raise their voices against carnage’s, atrocities doing by India, they always start by making the “Kashmir-issue” a creation of Pakistan or link it to Islam, The Kashmir freedom movement is indigenous and its people are scarifying their lives since from 1947. In order to defame the movement they are doing so. But humans in the world know the truth of India’s diplomacy and so called “International Community” as always watching like a mute spectator.

    People of Kashmir want freedom from oppression, repression, humiliation, and occupation. which they are facing from India since 1947. People of the valley wants ‘Independent Kashmir’ neither part of India or Pakistan.

    Kashmir is occupied by about 800,000 Indian military and Para military personnel who have martyred over 100,000 innocent civilians, indulged in torture, rape, pillage, arson and destruction of the socio-economic fabric of Kashmir society.

    ……Who will save people of Kashmir from India’s inhuman brutality? Now where to go? Whom to ask for help? Is there anyone in the world?

SHARE
  • Shaikh Mansar

    Whenever oppressed people of Kashmir raise their voices against carnage’s, atrocities doing by India, they always start by making the “Kashmir-issue” a creation of Pakistan or link it to Islam, The Kashmir freedom movement is indigenous and its people are scarifying their lives since from 1947. In order to defame the movement they are doing so. But humans in the world know the truth of India’s diplomacy and so called “International Community” as always watching like a mute spectator.

    People of Kashmir want freedom from oppression, repression, humiliation, and occupation. which they are facing from India since 1947. People of the valley wants ‘Independent Kashmir’ neither part of India or Pakistan.

    Kashmir is occupied by about 800,000 Indian military and Para military personnel who have martyred over 100,000 innocent civilians, indulged in torture, rape, pillage, arson and destruction of the socio-economic fabric of Kashmir society.

    ……Who will save people of Kashmir from India’s inhuman brutality? Now where to go? Whom to ask for help? Is there anyone in the world?

Next Story

Star ICC Asks Anonymous Accuser Of Sexual Assault Charges To Step Forward

The accuser said that while she was at the company, there were "clear instructions" given to make the sales team fulfil the targets.

0
Star ICC
#MeToo: Star India internal panel writes to anonymous accuser to come forward

The Internal Complaints Committee of Star India on Sexual Harassment (Star ICC) has written to the anonymous accuser — who had alleged “sexual exploitation” of women employees — asking her to reach out to the committee or its external member on allegations made by her in tweets.

In a Twitter post on Friday, Star ICC, formed under the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013 said it had reached out to the accuser through two emails on the ID provided by her through her tweets. The committee’s external member is Veena Gowda, a Mumbai-based woman rights lawyer.

The accuser, who tweeted through handle @ApurvaS17 — saying she would remain anonymous — had made sexual harassment allegations against the company’s officials in an open letter.

Star ICC
Star believes that the allegations made in the tweet without the complainant coming forward and giving any further detail, is a malicious attempt.

Asked to comment on the allegations, a Star India spokesperson said in a statement that despite no response by the anonymous accuser to the messages sent, the Star ICC had “suo moto conducted a preliminary inquiry and found no basis or factual accuracy” in respect of the allegations.

“We strongly urge any genuine complainant to approach the Star ICC. At Star, we stand with women in drawing the line on any behaviour that violates human dignity or the ability for women to pursue their dreams with respect and freedom. We have a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual harassment,” read the statement in response to an email query by IANS.

It also said that the anonymous tweet shared on October 13 raised an allegation that “runs completely counter to everything we believe in and the norms and values that we deeply embrace.”

The statement further said: “Star believes that the allegations made in the tweet without the complainant coming forward and giving any further detail, is a malicious attempt to malign and defame the reputation of the company and the CEO.” It said that Star reserves its right to initiate appropriate legal proceedings in this regard.

Star ICC
The Star ICC had “suo moto conducted a preliminary inquiry and found no basis or factual accuracy.

The accuser in her tweets had said that the #MeToo movement had encouraged her to come forward and that she had quit her job at Star India in the Airtime Sales section after 26 months and nine days and was now a homemaker, “taking care of my baby and hubby in a beautiful country, far away from Mumbai.”

The accuser said that while she was at the company, there were “clear instructions” given to make the sales team fulfil the targets in case they want to continue with their employment contract, “for which even if you have to take the clients to a hotel room and sleep with them for days.”

She said there were many instances when she and three of her female colleagues (interns) had clear instructions to reach a hotel after office hours for a private party hosted for influential friends.

Also Read: India’s Junior Foreign Minister M.J. Akbar Quits Following #MeToo Harassment Allegation By Women

She says the influential friends were “mostly bureaucrats and sometimes politicians and foreign nationals” who were “all ready to violate you, force you to dance against your wishes, drink with them, make drink(s) for them, exchange your numbers and even quietly accompany them to their respective rooms if they want you to”.

Veteran writer-director Vinta Nanda, who earlier this month accused actor Alok Nath of sexually violating her 19 years ago, wrote on Twitter: “I’m neither shocked nor surprised. I salute your courage to have come out and spoken out. The rot runs deep.” (IANS)