Mobile Application “Stanpan Suraksha” to Spread Awareness against Inappropriate Promotion of marketed Baby Food in India

The app, Stanpan Suraksha, developed by a breastfeeding protection watchdog, Breastfeeding Promotion Network of India (BPNI)

0
A baby holding a fruit (representative image), Pixabay

New Delhi, Dec 2, 2016: A mobile application was launched here on Friday to help people report the inappropriate promotion of marketed baby food around them, by enabling them to click pictures of advertisements, displays of such products and send them to an NGO which then may take required legal action.

The app, Stanpan Suraksha, developed by a breastfeeding protection watchdog, Breastfeeding Promotion Network of India (BPNI), also allows the users to take assistance from a number of trained breastfeeding counsellors, during their during antenatal and postnatal period.

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.

The app was launched by Minister of Tribal Affairs Jual Oram, A.V. Swamy, Member of Parliament, and Arun Kumar Panda, Additional Secretary – Health and Family Welfare and Mission Director, National Health Mission.

A report on the baby food formulae being unethically promoted by e-commerce sites and the baby food industry was also launched along with the app, which revealed many instances where the staff at the health facilities did not seek consent of the mothers before administering the formula to babies.

Look for latest news from India in NewsGram.

According to an online survey done by BPNI among 950 women who had given birth in private hospitals, it was revealed that babies of more than half of such women were given baby formula and at least two-thirds out of them had been given that without any attempt to seek the consent of the mother.

“Baby food industry has allegedly violated the Infant Milk Substitutes, (IMS) Act, 1992, at least 54 times if not more, between 2008 and 2016 before being brought to the attention of the government regulatory authorities,” BPNI said in a statement issued by it.

“Promotion of any kind, for 0-2 years of age of children, of baby foods and feeding bottles, including advertisements, inducements on sales, pecuniary benefits to doctors or their associations including sponsorship is banned under the IMS Act,” it said.

Among the top violaters of the Act, it named Nestle, Abbot, Heinz and Dannone, for continuing to mislead the mothers through various tactics.

Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues.

BPNI reckoned Nestle’s decision to set up 1,000 exclusive breastfeeding rooms in 150 cities and help raise “superbabies” as indirectly promoting infant formula mik, and violating section 7 of the IMS act that bars companies from entering healthcare facilities.

It also mentioned the misleading claims being found on the lables on the baby formula containers.

“Danone Nutritia ‘Farex’ infant formula uses health claims like brain development on its labels. As per the law, use of health claims is not allowed for such products of the company,” the statement read.

Apart from objecting against the baby food industry players for their alleged malpractices, the report also cited the reasons for which we should be shunning such products and cause an awareness.

“According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), artificial feeding is an established risk factor for child health like causing more of diarrhoea, respiratory or newborn infections, allergies as well as obesity and adult health diseases like diabetes and heart disease,” the statement said.

The BPNI in its recommendations urged government also to ensure that all hospitals have lactation counsellors to assist mothers during their antenatal and postnatal period. (IANS)

Next Story

Sanitization to Fight Coronavius Begins in UP

Massive sanitization drive begins in UP

0
sanitization
A massive sanitization drive began in major cities in Uttar Pradesh on Friday. (Representation Image). Pixabay

A massive sanitization drive began in major cities in Uttar Pradesh on Friday. This is the latest news in India.

Rajkumar Vishwakarma, DG, fire services, told reporters that sanitization was being done with sodium hypochlorite and fire personnel had been instructed to take care and not to spray the disinfectant on human beings and animals.

sanitization
The sanitization will be done using sodium hypochlorite. (Representational Image). Pixabay

Spraying will also not be done inside any building due to electrical connections.

Fire personnel have been asked to take photographs and post it on WhatsApp media groups. They have been asked to avoid calling the media personnel to the sanitisation sites to avoid risks.

Please follow NewsGram on Instagram to get updates on the latest news

Earlier this week, about 50 migrant workers who were at a bus station in Bareilly, were sprayed with sodium hypochlorite by the sanitisation staff. Those who were sprayed, including children, complained of itching in the eyes and rashes on the body.

Also Read- UNHRC Chief Michele Bachelet: India’s Lockdown Has Implementation Challenges

Chief minister Yogi Adityanath had expressed his concern over the incident and assured action against the guilty.

District magistrate Bareilly, Nitish Kumar said that the incident happened due to ‘over-zealous’ workers. (IANS)

Next Story

People Have Faith in Modi Government to Handle COVID-19 Crisis

Over 83% trust Modi govt will handle COVID-19 crisis well

0
Modi government
The Narendra Modi-led central government is leaving no stone unturned in fight against the novel coronavirus pandemic. Wikimedia Commons

As the Narendra Modi-led central government is leaving no stone unturned in fight against the novel coronavirus pandemic, 83.5 per cent people from various states “trust in government” in handling the crisis.

The findings came out in the IANS-CVoter exclusive tracker on COVID-19 Wave 2 survey conducted during last seven days among 18 plus adults nationwide. The findings and projections are based on Computer-Assisted Telephone Interviewing (CATI).

Replying to a question “I think Indian government is handling the coronavirus well”, 83.5 per cent people agreed that they trust in government’s steps being taken in fight against the deadly disease, and 9.4 per cent expressed their disagreement. The survey was conducted on March 26 and 27. Of the 83.5 per cent who showed their trust in government, 66.4 per cent strongly agree with the opinion and 17.1 agree with the view.

Please follow NewsGram on Facebook to get the latest news updates

A similar survey on the same question done on March 17 and 18 showed that 83.6 per cent people expressed their trust in government in fight against the pandemic which so far has claimed 29 lives and over 1,000 conformed cases. A total of 13.7 per cent people expressed their disagreement.

Modi government
83.5 per cent people from various states trust the Modi government in handling the COVID-19 crisis. Wikimedia Commons

As per the tracker, the data is weighted to the known demographic profile of the states. Sometimes the table figures do not sum to 100 due to the effects of rounding, it says. “Our final data file has socio-economic profile within plus 1 per cent of the demographic profile of the state. We believe this will give the closest possible trends.”

The Tracking Pol fieldwork covers random probability samples during the last seven days from the release date and that the sample spread is across all assembly segments across all states. This survey covers all states in India and was conducted in 10 languages as part of our routine OmniBus, it says.

Please follow NewsGram on Twitter to get the latest news updates

“This is a thorough random probability sample; and we are ensuring a proper representative analysis by statistical weighing of the data to make it representative of the local population as per the latest census and or other available demographic benchmarks.”

Also Read- Castro Gang Murders: How Cuba Eliminated An Opposition

The data clarified that it strictly follows the WAPOR code of conduct (World Association of Public Opinion Research) for our ethical and transparent scientific practices and have incorporated the PCI (Press Council of India ) guidelines as our SOP (Standard Operating Procedures). (IANS)

Next Story

Aadhaar Helpline Mystery: French Security Expert Tweets of doing a Full Disclosure Tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App

0
cryptocurrency. google
Google comes up with a new feature

Google’s admission that it had in 2014 inadvertently coded the 112 distress number and the UIDAI helpline number into its setup wizard for Android devices triggered another controversy on Saturday as India’s telecom regulator had only recommended the use of 112 as an emergency number in April 2015.

After a large section of smartphone users in India saw a toll-free helpline number of UIDAI saved in their phone-books by default, Google issued a statement, saying its “internal review revealed that in 2014, the then UIDAI helpline number and the 112 distress helpline number were inadvertently coded into the SetUp wizard of the Android release given to OEMs for use in India and has remained there since”.

Aadhaar Helpline Number Mystery: French security expert tweets of doing a full disclosure tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App, Image: Wikimedia Commons.

However, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recommended only in April 2015 that the number 112 be adopted as the single emergency number for the country.

According to Google, “since the numbers get listed on a user’s contact list, these get  transferred accordingly to the contacts on any new device”.

Google was yet to comment on the new development.

Meanwhile, French security expert that goes by the name of Elliot Alderson and has been at the core of the entire Aadhaar controversy, tweeted on Saturday: “I just found something interesting. I will probably do full disclosure tomorrow”.

“I’m digging into the code of the @Google SetupWizard app and I found that”.

“As far as I can see this object is not used in the current code, so there is no implications. This is just a poor coding practice in term of security,” he further tweeted.

On Friday, both the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) as well as the telecom operators washed their hand of the issue.

While the telecom industry denied any role in the strange incident, the UIDAI said that he strange incident, the UIDAI said that some vested interests were trying to create “unwarranted confusion” in the public and clarified that it had not asked any manufacturer or telecom service provider to provide any such facility.

Twitter was abuzz with the new development after a huge uproar due to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Chairman R.S. Sharma’s open Aadhaar challenge to critics and hackers.

Ethical hackers exposed at least 14 personal details of the TRAI Chairman, including mobile numbers, home address, date of birth, PAN number and voter ID among others. (IANS)

Also Read: Why India Is Still Nowhere Near Securing Its Citizens’ Data?