Thursday October 19, 2017
Home India MPs protest a...

MPs protest against ‘beef raid’ outside Kerala House in Delhi

0
55
www.panoramio.com

New Delhi,  Parliamentarians from Kerala on Tuesday protested the “beef raid” at the Kerala House here and demanded the dish be brought back on the menu of the canteen.

“This is an infringement on the rights of the people of Kerala. This is a property of people and government of Kerala. We condemn this police action,” said A Sampath, who represents Attingal constituency.

“If the buffalo meat served here is lawfully purchased from the local vendors then why should anyone prevent us from cooking and eating that?” he asked.

“This is all a part of Sangh Parivar agenda. This is an attempt to stoke communal tension. They will not succeed in imposing these things (restrictions) in Kerala since they don’t have any foothold there,” he added.

Another Lok Sabha MP PK Sreemathi said: “This is an attack on federalism. What people eat is their right. No one has the right to tell what they can eat and cannot eat.”

“This is a very serious issue. This is Kerala House. It is not the property of the central government. The centre should apologize,” she said.

Among the others who joined the protest were senior Communist Party of India-Marxist leaders C. P. Narayan and P Vijayan.

“Buffalo meat is not prohibited, so levelling such allegations is uncalled for. The police are behaving like a mob,” said Narayanan, who is also an MP.

Delhi Police had claimed that they visited Kerala House only to prevent any tension or untoward incident.

Refuting police’s claim, Vijayan, who is a CPI-M politburo member too, said: “If police came to prevent any untoward incident, then they should have stayed. Why did they leave? Their intention was not good. It is an attack on the federal structure.”

“This is an official canteen of Kerala House. They (Police) have to seek permission before conducting an inquiry at Kerala House,” he added.

A Delhi Police team visited Kerala House canteen on Monday evening after Vishnu Gupta, a Hindu Sena leader, lodged a complaint that the state house was serving ‘beef’. Officials at the Kerala House, however, said it was buffalo meat and not beef. Later, the dish was taken off the menu.

Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Sanjay Singh and Ashutosh also visited Kerala House and condemned police’s action.

“No one has given them the right to hurt people’s sentiments. If there is any problem related to food, then it is the job of the food inspector to inquire about it. This is not Delhi Police Commissioner BS Bassi’s job. Even (Minister of State for Home) Kiren Rijiju had admitted on camera that he consumes beef. Will Bassi go and arrest him? A lot of MPs consume beef,” said Singh.

Rijiju was quoted as saying by a newspaper that he ate beef, but later retracted his comment saying he was misquoted.

(IANS)

Next Story

Con man in Delhi Duped Amazon for over Rs. 50 Lakh; Arrested by Delhi Police for Fraud

Shivam, a resident of north-west Delhi’s Tri Nagar, holds a degree in hotel management. However, he chose to use all his management skills to con the commercial giant, Amazon

0
22
Amazon logo. Wikimedia

New Delhi, October 11, 2017 : Leading e-commerce portal Amazon was taken for a ride by a 21-year-old youth who is said to have duped the company for over 50 lakh.

As per the police, the accused, identified as Shivam Chopra, bought over 166 expensive mobile phones via the online e-commerce store Amazon and consequently demanded refunds claiming he had received an empty box.

Shivam, a resident of north-west Delhi’s Tri Nagar, holds a degree in hotel management. However, he chose to use all his management skills to con the commercial giant, Amazon.

A complaint registered this year on behalf of Amazon Seller Services Private Limited first raised eyebrows in June when it was revealed that refunds had been claimed for as many as 166 mobile phones that had been ordered between April and May, on the claims that the delivery packages were empty. Suspicion gathered momentum when it was further revealed that payments for all these 166 mobiles were made through gift cards.

Allegedly, Shivam would use different customer accounts (reports suggest he used 48 different accounts) to place orders of expensive phones on Amazon and would provide the portal with a false address. He would then speak with the delivery associate and collect his order at a mutually decided place within the locality. Consequently, Shivam would then place complaints with Amazon, claiming that he had received an empty package and would demand a refund.

Subsequently, refunds were initiated in the form on gift cards.

ALSO READ Indian-origin Magician charged with multiple counts of helping others to fraudulently obtain money in Singapore

Following an enquiry, a case was registered with the Delhi Police in August.

The accused was then identified with the help of Amazon’s delivery persons, and the locals and by tracing the multiple numbers that were used to place the orders and Shivam was arrested on October 6.

According to the police, Shivam allegedly also purchased 150 pre-activated SIM cards to place the orders from different numbers. His accomplice in the con, Sachin Jain, has also been arrested, who helped provide him the SIM cards.

As per a report by PTI, upon investigation, the Delhi Police recovered 19 mobile phones from Shivam’s house. It was revealed that he had sold all other devices to buyers in the notorious Gaffar Market, or on the online marketplace OLX. The police also recovered Rs 12 lakh in cash, 40 bank passbooks and cheques from his house.

An Amazon India spokesperson later thanks ed the Delhi police for their services in an official statement and added, “We continue to work closely with the Delhi Police and thank them for all their efforts in the investigation.”

An ordinary guy who duped an e-commerce website and claimed refunds running into lakhs of rupees – the case is not a first of its kind. Previously, con-men had been arrested for duping rival e-commerce website FlipKart. However, what is peculiar is how no action has been taken to keep such frauds at bay and these cases continue to suffer.

 

Next Story

Delhi Police gears up to predominate anticipated Jat agitation in Lutyens Delhi

In order to take control over the forthcoming movement, Delhi police have issued a number of directives to be followed by people with effect from March 19 onwards

0
84
Image source: postpickle.com

New Delhi, March 19, 2017: Learning from its peers in the past, Delhi police has girded up their loins in to protect its streets and citizens from Jat agitation which is scheduled for Monday, March 20th.

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.

The All India Jat Aarakshan Sangarsh Samiti (AIJASS), which is spearheading the agitation demanding reservations in education and government jobs, has given a call for a march to the national capital to gherao Parliament and to hold dharnas on the Delhi border blocking all highways to press for its demands.

In order to take control over the forthcoming movement, Delhi police have issued a number of directives to be followed by people with effect from March 19 onwards.

Restriction on Entry of People to Lutyens Delhi

“New Delhi will not be used as transit point for people going from north to south Delhi or vice-versa. Commuters wishing to travel from south Delhi to central Delhi are advised to use Ring Road,” said Delhi Traffic Police in an advisory published on the twitter handle of Delhi police.

Several routes in the national capital, including Zakir Hussain Road, will be closed in view of the Jat agitation from March 19, 8.00 pm onwards, mentioned the advisory.

The roads which will remain closed are-

  • Kemal Ataturk Marg from Race Course Metro Station to Panchseel Marg
  • Safdarjung Road to Aurobindo Chowk
  • Kautilya Marg from Samrat Hotel to Niti Marg
  • Kautilya T-Point near Bihar Bhawan
  • Teen Murti to Gole Methi roundabout
  • Zakir Hussain road for the commuters coming from Nizamuddin to India Gate

Apart from the roads, the advisory of Delhi Police further mentioned about five entry points to Delhi which will remain closed from 11 a.m March 19 onwards. They are:

Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues.

  • Ring Road to San Martin Marg
  • Amrita Shergill to Lodhi Road
  • Max Muller Road to Lodhi Road
  • Archbishop Makarios Marg from Lodhi Road and all lanes leading to Panchkuiyan Road except Mandir Marg
  • R.K. Ashram and Hospital Road

The Delhi Police advised students and those appearing in various entrance examinations to start before time so that they don’t get stuck owing to heavy checking and blockades.

Conditional Entries to Lutyens Delhi 

From 11 PM today, entry to Lutyens Delhi will be restricted and persons fulfilling certain criterion will only be allowed entry after proper verification and checking. It has also issued a list of categories of people, who will be allowed to enter Delhi districts. The list includes:

Look for latest news from India in NewsGram.

  • Bona fide residents
  • People working in various offices situated in New Delhi area
  • Emergency services
  • People coming to attend interviews
  • Examination in New Delhi area
  • Ambulances and fire brigades
  • Buses of school children and any other people coming for some urgent work

Section 144 Imposed

Delhi Police has decided to impose prohibitory orders under CrPC Section 144 across the national capital from March 19 onwards in a wake of putting a strict vigil in Lutyens Delhi on Monday to prevent protesters.

“Under no circumstances, any kind of dharna, violent protest will be allowed in Delhi. We have put adequate security and safety measures in place and tractor-trolleys will not be allowed to enter Delhi from border areas,” said Dependra Pathak, chief spokesperson of Delhi Police and Special Commissioner of Police (Operations) while talking to India Today

Follow NewsGram on Facebook

Last year, in the same month, Haryana witnessed the repercussions of Jat agitation which turned the state into a riot land; burning down the public and private properties, breaking and disrupting the modes of public transportation likes buses and trains. The losses suffered by the state with mammoth destructions in this movement was estimated around 34000 crores.

-prepared by Ashish Srivastava of NewsGram Twitter @PhulRetard

 

Next Story

Delhi Police look for ‘Kiss’ Prank Molester, who runs away after kissing random Girls and posts videos of it on social media Websites

0
72
Delhi Police (representational Image), VOA

New Delhi, Jan 7, 2017: Delhi Police on Saturday assured of action against a molester, who runs away after kissing random girls and later posts videos of the ‘prank’ on social media websites.

“We have started the inquiry into the matter. We have also started working on the technical aspects of the case, like contacting the service provider,” Joint Commissioner of Police Deependra Pathak told media here.

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.

He also urged the victims to also come forward and register a complaint with the police.

The accused maintains a Youtube channel by the name of ‘crazy Sumit’ where he uploads the videos of showing him approaching girls on the streets on some pretext and then running away after kissing them.

Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues.

The perpetrator, whose full name is yet unknown, also uploaded an ‘apology’ video on the same channel two days ago, saying the act was staged and he had no clue that the matter will escalate to the level. (IANS)