Get subscribed to our newsletter
Get interesting updates to your email inbox.
New Delhi, April 5, 2017: Last Sunday (April 2, 2017), Sanjay Singh (AAP leader who is being widely criticized by party volunteers for corruption and favoritism in Punjab and subsequently in Delhi) was slapped by Simran Bedi, an AAP member, and active AAP Mahila Wing worker. She asserted that she was not permitted to raise the issue of alleged corruption in the ticket distribution in the party for the upcoming MCD Elections 2017.
Simran Bedi from Rajouri Garden Assembly constituency has slapped Sanjay Singh as the party did not allow her to raise the issue of ticket selling despite several attempts. Singh was campaigning for the party for Rajouri Garden Assembly by-poll.
Newsgram contacted Simran Bedi to be on familiar terms with the insight of the violence occurred. Following facts emerged out of our conversation:
- Simran stated that she joined AAP for weeding out corruption from Indian Political system and she was not keen on contesting upcoming MCD elections Pritpal Singh Kalra, AAP’s district in charge convinced her to file the nomination for the ticket.
- Simran clearly says that her not getting the ticket is not an issue but what triggered her was the unjust demand for money for getting the ticket for upcoming MCD polls. She is in possession of voice recording, which proves that Tilak Nagar’s AAP MLA Jarnail Singh and senior AAP leader Sanjay Singh are trading MCD tickets for money.
NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.
- She approached Delhi CM and AAP convener Mr. Arvind Kejriwal several times with the voice recording where she is asked for bribery, However, she was disregarded utterly and was not allowed to meet him. Not only this, she was overlooked by Dilip Pandey (Convener of AAP Delhi Unit). She even approached security officer of Delhi CM Ram Jha via messenger to seek a meeting with Kejriwal but she couldn’t manage meeting the CM and also Ashoutosh, another AAP leader.
- After consistent efforts, her husband managed to meet Kejriwal to discuss pervading corruption but he like a routine politician dismissed the recording. On this, Simran’s husband argued that it was Arvind who used to say bring us voice recording of corrupt officials and he will suspend them but now for his own party’s corruption he is behaving in a completely opposite manner.
- At last, she was suggested to talk to Mr. Sanjay Singh regarding the problems of corruption.
- Simran wanted to talk to Sanjay Singh regarding the corruption in the party. She had the voice recording where she is asked to pay money for the ticket.
- She approached Ajit Tyagi, the Personal Assistant/driver of Sanjay Singh but he also did not respond to her.
- Then she saw Sanjay Singh’s road show in her assembly as an opportunity to meet him. As she stepped forward to have a word with Sanjay, his assistant Ajit Tyagi attacked her verbally. Innayat Ullah, an AAP worker from ward 07 and abused her with filthy words. Dejected and heartbroken, Simran slapped Sanjay Singh in front of everybody.
- Sanjay Singh in the aftermath of the violent reaction by Simran Bedi threatened her with abuses and also of getting her beaten up by ‘Munna Bhai’, a goon from Varanasi.
Simran Bedi while speaking to Newsgram says, “I did the right thing and I don’t regret my actions. I slapped a corrupted man, who ruined the whole Punjab. This man distributed tickets to wrong people in Punjab as well”.
Simran further highlighted the reasons for why AAP lost in the Punjab State. She had spent considerable time in Punjab for AAP’s campaigning.
- Sucha Singh Chotepur, the former AAP Punjab Convener was alleged for the basis of corruption despite having no proofs against him.
- Chotepur was a strong candidate and with his help, we could have crossed the milestone.
- Sanjay Singh along with Durgesh Pathak distributed tickets to wrong people. There was no popular face with whom the people could associate.
- The main reason for loss in Punjab was ticket selling by Sanjay Singh and Durgesh Pathak.
“On one side they preach about respecting women and on the other side they disregard women and abuse”, stated Simran Bedi on malignant attitude towards Women Wing of AAP.
The Israeli Antiquities Authority said Tuesday that a diver swimming in the Mediterranean Sea has recovered a large sword that experts believe to be about 900 years old, dating back to the Crusades.
The antiquities authority's Director of Marine Archaeology, Kobi Sharvit, said the amateur diver was swimming about 150 meters offshore near the Israeli port of Haifa a few days ago when he spotted the sword lying on the ocean floor, four to five meters below the surface.
Sharvit said the diver recovered the sword and immediately took it to the antiquities authority. Sharvit said the sword -- encrusted with marine organisms when discovered –is the most complete and well preserved he has seen in 31 years. He described the sword as large, heavy and made of iron.
He added that the one-meter-long blade, hilt and handle were distinctive and highly noticeable after undercurrents apparently shifted sands that had concealed it.
Sharvit said because the sword was found in a cove, not far from the Crusader castle of Atlit on the northern coast of Israel, it is being assumed the sword belonged to a solder in the Crusades.
The Crusades were a series of medieval European Christian-led military expeditions to recover the Holy Land from the Muslims in the 11th, 12th, and 13th centuries.
Sharvit said that from an historical perspective, the handle of the sword may be the most important part of the weapon as that is where decorations, and perhaps, even names or initials are often found that will help identify the sword.
He said once it cleaned, examined, and restored, the antiquities authority will put the sword on display. (VOA/RN)
Keywords: Crusader sword, Israel, Antiquity, Castle of Atlit
Facebook must pay a $4.75 million fine and up to $9.5 million in back pay to eligible victims who say the company discriminated against U.S. workers in favor of foreign ones, the Justice Department announced Tuesday.
The discrimination took place from at least January 1, 2018, until at least September 18, 2019.
The Justice Department said Facebook "routinely refused" to recruit or consider U.S. workers, including U.S. citizens and nationals, asylees, refugees and lawful permanent residents, in favor of temporary visa holders. Facebook also helped the visa holders get their green cards, which allowed them to work permanently
In a separate settlement, the company also agreed to train its employees in anti-discrimination rules and conduct wider searches to fill jobs.
The fines and back pay are the largest civil awards ever given by the DOJ's civil rights division in its 35-year history.
"Facebook is not above the law and must comply with our nation's civil rights laws," Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke told reporters in a telephone conference.
"While we strongly believe we met the federal government's standards in our permanent labor certification [PERM] practices, we've reached agreements to end the ongoing litigation and move forward with our PERM program, which is an important part of our overall immigration program," a Facebook spokesperson said in a statement. "These resolutions will enable us to continue our focus on hiring the best builders from both the U.S. and around the world and supporting our internal community of highly skilled visa holders who are seeking permanent residence." (VOA/RN)
Keywords: Facebook, Employment, Justice Dept., Recruitment
Tomatoes are a staple in the Indian diet, be it a vegetarian or a non-vegetarian dish. It has to be a part of each meal in some form. As puree, paste, flavour, or diced into the dal. This tangy, sweet, and juicy ingredient was not always Indian. In fact, it did not even grow in India until the British sanctioned it. It is a product of colonization and has come a long way to become part of our everyday meals.
Originally, the tomato was considered poison. Its actual native is debatable. Some say it is European while others argue that is came from indigenous parts of Spain and Portugal. Either way, it is a plant species that is associated with the legendary Nightshade. It looks very similar to this poisonous plant that tomatoes were not even harvested for a long time, for fear of picking Nightshade instead. It was believed that Nightshade caused the blood to turn to acid and that tomatoes had the same property. Later research proved that the plant itself may be poisonous but the fruit is not.
The fruit if the woody nightshade plant Image source: Wikimedia Commons
Tomato is considered a fruit instead of a vegetable because it is cooked. But this theory has an interesting tale behind it. in the United States, in 1887, a tax was levied on the transport of vegetables, but not on fruits. By then, tomatoes had become a huge part of the American diet and traders could not afford to pay the ten percent duty. So, they began to call the large loads they transported fruits, just to avoid the tax due. In time, this is how the tomato came to be regarded. Some scientists went even further and stated that it is a berry. Botanists claim that since it is a part that grows from the flower's ovary and contains seeds, it is a fruit and not a vegetable. But this is a debate that will never end.
Incorporating tomatoes into the Indian diet must have happened so long ago that people do not remember a time without tomatoes, considering how it is the fundamental ingredient of most cuisines. The tomato has a name in every language as well, so the trading between nations, the voyages that brought them to India, and the decoding of the fruit-vegetable must have taken place far earlier than our ancestors remember. Or, perhaps we liked it so much that we decided to use it everywhere and make it our own. Nonetheless, it has been a delightful addition.
Keywords: Tomato, Fruit, Vegetable, Nightshade, Voyage, Staple