Tuesday October 23, 2018
Home India No closure to...

No closure to the cases registered with the Karnataka State Commission for Protection of Child Rights

0
//
97
Republish
Reprint

child-334307_640

By NewsGram Staff Writer

Around 736 cases of child abuse have been registered with the Karnataka State Commission for Protection of Child Rights (KSCPCR) in the last six years, but none of them have been disposed of yet, according to the report published in Vijay Karnataka, a Kannada daily.

27 cases in 2009-10, 101 cases in 2010-11, 70 cases in 2011-12, 96 cases in 2012-13, 160 cases in 2013-14, and 282 cases in 2014-15 were registered.

Out of the total of 736 cases, 456 cases are those of rape, with 2014-15 alone contributing 217 rape cases. Cases of physical violence are 156, cases of sale of children are 40, and cases of child marriage are 84.

But, not a single case has been disposed of. 80% of the cases are present in various courts across the state and the remaining 20% cases are being delayed on technical grounds.

Biju Thomas, an Advocate with Empowerment of Children and Human Rights Organization (ECHO) who works with children, says that most cases get delayed in courts and commission cannot do anything once the cases reach the courts. But, he adds that the commission should make efforts to speed up the investigations, which will go a long way in preventing delays.

KSCPCR was set up in July 2009. It is a statutory body that was set up to protect, promote, and defend child rights in the state. It also functions as a civil court and hears cases related to child rights abuse.

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

Kejriwal’s Door to Door Donation Drive is a Farce: Munish Raizada

Chanda Bandh Satyagraha makes an appeal that AAP should immediately restore donors' list on its website and then only seek new donations.

0
Kejriwal
Dr. Munish Raizada along with his Chanda Bandh Satyagraha team outside the office of AAP MLA Jarnail Singh (Tilak Nagar). File photo

Chicago: The Aam Aadmi Party Convener and Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal has launched a door to door campaign seeking donations for the AAP.  According to former overseas co-coordinator of Aam Aadmi Party, Dr. Munish Raizada, this is nothing more than a misleading campaign!

Raizada says that Kejriwal has no moral right to seek donations from common man as he has dismantled financial transparency in AAP by removing donors list from its website. Displaying donors’ list showing real time donations and making the income and expenditure accounts available online were the basis and the promise of the AAP, emphasised Raizada.

Now, after hiding donors’ list and its balance sheets from the public, the AAP cannot claim to be practising alternative politics.

Munish Raizada, kejriwal
Lack of financial transparency in the Arvind Kejriwal-led AAP prompted a group of NRIs, who once worked to mobilise funds and support for the party, to turn against it. (File photo)

It may be noted that AAP removed the list of donors from its website in June 2016. Moreover, since then AAP has been surrounded with controversies related to donations. AAP had also received Rs 30.67 crore Income Tax notice, last year in November, implying that all is not well with AAP’s accounts, says Raizada.

He further questions Kejriwal, that if AAP has nothing to hide about its accounts and if AAP is honest with its account keeping then why is Kejriwal hiding the donations?

Even the donation policy that was earlier the pride of every AAP volunteer has been done away with. The donation policy on AAP website used to state: “Every single rupee donated to the party will be published on the website immediately along with the details of the donor. Every expense done by the party will also be published on the website.”

But rather than putting the donors’ list in public domain, the party’s corrupt leadership started blaming BJP and I.T. Department for harassing its donors.

 

munish raizada, kejriwal
Chanda Bandh Satygrah demands restoration of  lost values in AAP ( File Photo)

 

Opaque political funding is the fountain head of corruption. Further, Raizada says that if the party cannot be transparent in its political funding, then talking about fighting corruption and graft is a mere rhetoric. He said that the appeals by Chanda Bandh Satyagraha have fallen on deaf ears as far as the party’s

leadership is concerned. 

Chanda Bandh Satyagraha makes an appeal that AAP should immediately restore donors’ list on its website and then only seek new donations. Chanda Bandh Satyagraha was started by AAP’s volunteers in 2016, with an appeal to the public not to donate to AAP unless it makes its donation lists open and transparent.