Tuesday July 17, 2018
Home India Onion crisis:...

Onion crisis: India imports 18,000 tonnes from Egypt

0
//
49
Republish
Reprint

New Delhi: As onion prices continue at a high of Rs 60-70, India is importing large quantities of the much-needed vegetable from Egypt, which has exported 18,000 tonnes to India during the last two months.

The more reddish coloured onions from Egypt have been making their way to Indian vegetable mandis over the last few weeks.

According to a statement by an Egyptian competent authority, the Indian imports of onions from Egypt during August and September 2015 stood at 18,000 tonnes.

A similar amount is in the pipeline for being exported to India.

Egyptian export of onions to India is estimated to reach around 35,000 tonnes in 2015-16, up from 567 tonnes in 2014-15.

The onion crops in India were damaged following heavy unseasonal rains in onion producing states. Traders are also reported to have hoarded onions, leading to scarcity and high prices.

The small stocks of onions at Mother Dairy booths in the capital, which sells them at below Rs 40, gets exhausted by 6:30 AM.

India has been importing onions from Egypt and Afghanistan to tide over the crisis.

The import of onions from Egypt is the highest to date. In 2013-2014, India imported 314 tonnes of onions from Egypt, while there was no import the previous year. In 2014-15, India imported 576 tonnes of onions.

India also imports oranges from Egypt.

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

YouTube to be Get Blocked in Egypt For a Month

"The ruling is a punishment for YouTube website that will cost it massive economic losses," Salem said.

0
The lawsuit dates back to 2013 when the Egyptian lawyer demanded to ban YouTube in Egypt until the offensive clip on Prophet Muhammad and other anti-Islamic videos are removed.
Egypt's top administrative court ordered on Saturday to block YouTube streaming website for one month over hosting a video that denigrates Prophet Muhammad of Islam. Pixabay

Egypt’s top administrative court ordered on Saturday to block YouTube streaming website for one month over hosting a video that denigrates Prophet Muhammad of Islam, the Egyptian lawyer who filed the lawsuit said.

“The ruling is final, unappealable and enforceable,” Xinhua quoted lawyer Mohamed Hamed Salem as saying.

A lower administrative court has previously ordered the National Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (NTRA) to do so, but the latter appealed against the ruling, citing it was hard to implement.

The top administrative court rejected the NTRA appeal on Saturday and upheld the temporary ban as a final, unappealable ruling.

The lawsuit dates back to 2013 when the Egyptian lawyer demanded to ban YouTube in Egypt until the offensive clip on Prophet Muhammad and other anti-Islamic videos are removed.

The lawsuit dates back to 2013 when the Egyptian lawyer demanded to ban YouTube in Egypt until the offensive clip on Prophet Muhammad and other anti-Islamic videos are removed.
“The ruling is final, unappealable and enforceable,” Xinhua quoted lawyer Mohamed Hamed Salem as saying. Pixabay

“The ruling is a punishment for YouTube website that will cost it massive economic losses,” Salem said.

Privately funded and produced in California, the controversial video first appeared on YouTube in 2012, raising a wave of anti-American outrage in the Muslim world where Prophet Muhammad is highly revered.

Hillary and Facebook: Hillary Clinton Wishes to Head the Facebook

The lawyer said that “the offensive video” led some fanatic Islamists to assault the U.S. and British embassies in Cairo at the time.

It is unclear how the temporary ban will be implemented, as YouTube was still working in Egypt until Saturday evening.

“The NTRA is responsible for implementing the ban and there is no technical difficulty to do so,” the lawyer said, warning “I will file a lawsuit against the NTRA chief if the ban is not implemented.” (IANS)

Next Story