Islamabad: Pakistan on Monday lodged protest with India over the latest “unprovoked ceasefire violations” that killed at least three people and injured several others at the Working Boundary.
Security officials earlier said that the Indian border forces shelled Pakistani border area in Shakargarh sector in Punjab province over the past few days.
“The Indian Deputy High Commissioner, JP Singh, was summoned to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to protest over the unprovoked ceasefire violations by India during the nights of October 23-25 at Shakargarh and Zafarwal Sectors of the Working Boundary,” the foreign ministry said in a statement.
“As a result of latest ceasefire violations by the Indian Border Security Forces, three civilians, including a teenage girl, embraced shahadat (martyrdom) and 23 others got injured,” a statement said.
Guns had relatively been silent since Pakistan and India declared a ceasefire in 2003 along the Line of Control in the disputed Kashmir region. However, border troops on both sides occasionally trade fire.
An escalation has been seen in recent months that caused casualties on both sides. Both accuse each other of violations.
Last month border officials of both countries in their talks in New Delhi last month agreed to implement the ceasefire.
“The government of Pakistan stressed upon India to stop forthwith the ceasefire violations and respect the 2003 Ceasefire Agreement for restoration of peace and tranquility at the LoC and the Working Boundary,” the statement said.
Indian officials also reported “firing by Pakistani forces”.
Copyright 2015 NewsGram