Friday April 19, 2019
Home India Physically ha...

Physically handicapped Person need not stand up in Cinema Hall for National Anthem before the start of a Film Show, says Supreme Court

0
//
Bollywood film "Ae Do Hai Mushkil" in which a Pakistani actor plays a role became the center of a heated controversy amid deepening tensions between India and Pakistan. (A. Pasricha/VOA)

New Delhi, Dec 10, 2016: The Supreme Court on Friday modified its November 30 order, exempting physically handicapped person from standing up when the national anthem is played in cinema hall before the start of a film show.

The bench of Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Amitava Roy modified their order by which the court had directed cinema halls to play the national anthem before the start of movies and when is sung or played, it is imperative on the part of everyone present to show due respect and honour by standing up.

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.

“If a physically challenged person or physically handicapped person goes to the cinema hall to watch a film, he need not stand up, if he is incapable to stand, but must show such conduct which is commensurate with respect for the National Anthem,” the court said, clarifying these meant persons with disability as defined under Sections 2(i) and 2(t) of the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995.

The court noted the statement by Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi that the government would, within 10 days, issue guidelines as to how such persons shall show respect to the national anthem when it is played in cinema halls.

On other applications seeking the recall of the November 30 order, the court said that “the same has to be heard on merits when the matter is finally debated upon” as it directed next hearing of the matter on February 14, 2017. (IANS)

Next Story

Supreme Court Agrees to Look into TikTok Row

Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi said he will look into the matter

0
Supreme Court of India.

The Supreme Court on Monday said it will look into the order passed by the Madras High Court directing an interim ban on the video mobile application ‘TikTok’.

Senior advocate Abhishek Manu Singhvi sought urgent listing of the case. He said that the application had been downloaded on a major scale, has numerous users and an ex-parte interim order was passed against the start-up.

Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi said he will look into the matter.

tiktok
TikTok has over 54 million monthly active users (MAUs) in India. Pixabay

Last week, a bench of Justices N. Kirubakaran and S.S. Sundar passed an interim order issuing directions to the government to prohibit downloading the mobile application. It also directed the media not to broadcast the videos made using it.

Also Read- What’s the True Cost of Cybercrime?

The Madras High Court posed a query to the government. It asked whether the government will enact a statue, like the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act enacted by the US government, in order to prevent children becoming online victims. (IANS)