Tuesday February 20, 2018
Home Politics Raja conspire...

Raja conspired with others to favour ineligible telecom firms: ED

0
//
102
Republish
Reprint

telecom

New Delhi: The Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Monday told a special court hearing a money laundering case related to allocation of 2G spectrum that former telecom minister A. Raja had conspired with other accused to grant telecom licences to ineligible firms.

For this, Rs.200 crore was paid by promoters of Swan Telecom Pvt. Ltd., using their group entity Dynamix Realty, to Kalaignar TV, through Kusegaon Realty Pvt. Ltd. and Cineyug Media and Entertainment Pvt. Ltd. (Cineyug Films), ED’s Special Public Prosecutor Anand Grover told Special Judge O.P. Saini during final arguments in the case.

This amount was given in the garb of legitimate financial transaction, that is as loan/share application money, he added.

Grover further said that the payment was in reality illegal gratification for and on behalf of Raja and his associates in lieu of illegal favours extended to the STPL for the grant of Unified Access Services (UAS) licence.

The ED further said that its investigation has revealed that the return of Rs.200 crore has been shown along with an additional sum of money in order to show this illegal payment as legal and bona fide financial transactions.

The amount was returned on the date Raja was summoned for questioning by the Central Bureau of Investigation.

After hearing the prosecution for a while, the court posted the matter for July 27 for further arguments.

Along with Raja, DMK chief M. Karunanidhi’s wife Dayalu Ammal and others are facing trial in the money laundering case relating to the allocation of 2G spectrum.

The accused have been booked under various sections of Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).

-IANS

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

NIA to file Chargesheet against Controversial Islamic Preacher Zakir Naik

As per officials, all formalities to file the chargesheet against Naik have been completed and will be duly submitted before a special court within this week

0
//
75
Zakir Naik
Zakir Abdul Karim Naik is an Indian Islamic preacher, and the founder and president of the Islamic Research Foundation (IRF). Wikimedia

New Delhi, October 24, 2017: The National Investigation Agency (NIA) is all set to charge sheet the controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik for his alleged involvement in money laundering and terror funding activities in India.

As per officials, all formalities to file the charge sheet against Naik have been completed and will be duly submitted before a special court within this week.

The evangelical preacher with an active television presence first came under the lens of security forces following confessions by some terrorists in Bangladesh allegedly involved in the attacks on a café in Dhaka in last July. The perpetrators had claimed that they were reportedly inspired by Naik’s hate speeches.

Following the allegations, the Islamic –preacher had fled from India on July 1, 2016, and continues to live outside the country.

Consequently, on November 18, 2016, the NIA had registered a case in its Mumbai branch against Zakir Naik under multiple sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.  Previously, Islamic Research Foundation (IRF), Zakir Naik’s NGO based in Mumbai has also been declared an unlawful organization as per the directives of the Union Home Ministry.

It was alleged that Zakir Naik and his connections were allegedly indulging in ‘unlawful activities’ that were proving to be hazardous for the country and its youth.

In an official statement in April this year, the Enforcement Directorate had said that Zakir Naik “through his provocative utterance (is) promoting enmity and hatred between different religious groups in India.”

The statement had also said that “His inflammatory speeches and lectures have inspired and incited a number of Muslim youths in India to commit unlawful activities and terrorist acts.”

All these charges were repeatedly denied by Naik.

Additionally, the Ministry of External Affairs also revoked Zakir Naik’s passport on behest of the NIA earlier this year.

The NIA had also thrice issued notices to Zakir Naik to cooperate and join the investigations. However, he did not comply and did not appear before it.

ALSO READ Special NIA Court issues non-bailable warrant against Islamic Preacher Zakir Naik for his role in a Terror case

Zakir Naik’s NGO has been alleged to hold ‘dubious’ links to an international Islamic TV channel ‘Peace TV’ accused of propagating terrorism. Naik was also alleged to have to transferred IRF’s international funding to the TV channel to make ‘objectionable’ programmes.

As per the Home Ministry, Zakir Naik has made multiple hate speeches that provoke people to engage in terrorist propaganda. It has been previously revealed that a handful of Indian youth allegedly inspired by Naik, have left their homes to join Islamic State forces.

Zakir Naik’s speeches are banned in US, Malaysia, and Canada.

The televangelist, who had fled the country in July last year after his name had surfaced during a probe into the Bangladesh terror attacks, continues to live in Saudi Arabia and is now being probed by the NIA under charges of money laundering and terror funding.

Next Story