Monday May 27, 2019
Home India Rise in ISIS ...

Rise in ISIS interest in state worries Assam police

0
//

By NewsGram Staff Writer

Guwahati: A rise in jihadi activities has the Assam Police worried about international Islamist terrorist outfits like the IS (Islamic State) making inroads into the state, a senior police official said.

Assam’s Director General of Police (DGP) Khagen Sarma said this during a press conference held at the Assam Police headquarters here on Tuesday.

He said though no one from Assam had joined the IS so far, yet people’s interest in the terror organisation was on the rise.

“We have not seen anyone joining the ISIS so far in Assam but a lot of interest has generated in the outfit in Assam. We are alert and worried,” Sarma said.

“Many people have visited the ISIS websites through Internet and the hits recorded by these websites indicate that it is more than curiosity. It is on the higher side like in Jammu and Kashmir or in Andhra Pradesh,” the official said.

“We do not have the expertise and equipment to monitor this but the National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO) is monitoring all these developments,” the DGP said, adding that the cyber cell of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID), Assam Police, is also working on it.

He said there was a threat to the state from the fundamentalist forces “both the Hindu right wing fundamentalist and Islamist fundamentalist outfits”.

While the actions of the Islamist fundamentalist forces are visible in the state the Hindu fundamentalist groups are not yet active.

“Recently we arrested 24 members of the Jamaatul Mujahideen, Bangladesh (JMB), a Bangladesh-based Islamist terror outfit, who have spread to Assam and some other states in India after the Bangladesh government launched a crackdown against them”, Sarma said.

“We have also arrested members of Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islami (HuJI) from Assam in the past,” he added.

(With inputs from IANS)

Next Story

US Will Deploy Necessary Resources to Counter Dangerous Actions by Iran, Says General

Tensions between Tehran and Washington have risen since the Trump administration last year withdrew from an international nuclear deal with Iran and began ratcheting up sanctions

0
resources
FILE - Then-Lt. Gen. Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr. testifies before the Senate Armed Services Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington, Dec. 4, 2018. VOA

U.S. Central Command chief Gen. Kenneth McKenzie said Saturday that the United States would deploy the necessary resources to counter any dangerous actions by Iran, Sky News Arabia reported.

“We’re going to continue to reach out to our partners and friends in the region to ensure that we make common cause against the threat of Iran,” McKenzie, on an official visit to the Gulf region, was quoted as saying.

“I believe we’ll have the resources necessary to deter Iran from taking actions that will be dangerous,” he said, according to a transcript released by the Abu Dhabi-based channel. “We will be able to respond effectively.”

resources, iran
Trump ordered the withdrawal of U.S. troops Syria in December after he said they had defeated Islamic State militants there. VOA

Tensions between Tehran and Washington have risen since the Trump administration last year withdrew from an international nuclear deal with Iran and began ratcheting up sanctions. Earlier this month, the United States blacklisted Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guards.

Sanctions for oil purchases

Washington on Monday demanded buyers of Iranian oil stop purchases by May or face sanctions, ending six months of waivers that allowed Iran’s eight biggest buyers, most of them in Asia, to continue importing limited volumes.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani and some senior military commanders have threatened to disrupt oil shipments from Gulf countries if Washington tries to strangle Tehran oil exports. McKenzie also said a reduction of U.S. troops in Syria would be done cautiously.

resources, iran
Tensions between Tehran and Washington have risen since the Trump administration last year withdrew from an international nuclear deal with Iran and began ratcheting up sanctions. VOA

“On the long term, we’re going to reduce our forces in Syria. We recognize that; that’s the guidance in which we are operating. That will be something that we will look at very carefully as we go forward,” the general said.

ALSO READ: Trump Urges Japan’s PM Abe to Produce More Vehicles in US

President Donald Trump ordered the withdrawal of U.S. troops Syria in December after he said they had defeated Islamic State militants there. In February, a senior administration official said the United States would leave about 400 U.S. troops split between two different regions of Syria.

McKenzie also said he was confident that the U.S. is going to have “a long-term presence in Iraq, focused on the counterterror mission.” (VOA)