By NewsGram Staff-Writer
Moscow: Russian Defense Ministry said on Wednesday that Russian air forces carried out 20 sorties during the first round of air strikes against the Islamic State(IS) in Syria, hitting eight targets, including a command center.
Eight facilities held by the extremist group had been struck, with a command post and militant control centers in the mountainous areas of Syria being completely destroyed, Xinhua quoted the ministry as saying on Wednesday.
The minister also released a 46-second video footage, which appeared to show dozens of ground targets in different locations being struck.
The strikes, stationed at a Syria’s airbase, were conducted after aerial reconnaissance and data clarification with the Syrian government forces, said Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov.
No armament was used to target civilian facilities or within their vicinity, he added.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov reiterated on Wednesday that Russia’s airstrikes in Syria would be temporary, “only for the period of offensive operations carried out by the Syrian army”.
(With inputs from IANS)Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram