Get subscribed to our newsletter
Get interesting updates to your email inbox.
South Korea remained the No. 2 supplier of popular content to Netflix in the fourth quarter of last year, US online media have reported. According to What's On Netflix, a private online site that provides information on Netflix content, on Wednesday (US time), South Korean-made shows accounted for 11.8 per cent of the top 10 films and TV series in the final three months of 2021.
ALSO READ: Lessons Learnt From Squid Game
Korean content thus ranked No. 2 for the second consecutive quarter after the United States, which accounted for 59 per cent, reports Yonhap News Agency. The figures are based on data by the streaming analytics firm FlixPatrol, it added. It marked a sharp increase from its share of 5.4 per cent for the third quarter, thanks to the breakout hit 'Squid Game', released on September 17, and other hit series.
South Korean-made shows accounted for 11.8 per cent of the top 10 films and TV series in the final three months of 2021. | Unsplash
"The fourth quarter of 2021 is likely to be an outlier with the arrival of 'Squid Game', but Korean content has been on a slow march up the charts regardless of 'Squid Game'," the report said. 'Squid Game' became the most successful Netflix show in history, with its total viewership reaching a record 1.65 billion hours in the first four weeks of its release.
Two subsequent series, the fantasy horror 'Hellbound' and the sci-fi thriller 'The Silent Sea', also topped Netflix's official weekly viewership chart for non-English TV shows. (IANS/ MBI)
(Keywords: squid game, netflix, series, US, Korea, quarter, content, history viewership, hellbound, the silent sea, chart)
U.S. authorities have asked telecom operators AT&T and Verizon to delay for up to two weeks their already postponed rollout of 5G networks amid uncertainty about interference with vital flight safety equipment. The U.S. rollout of the high-speed mobile broadband technology had been set for December 5, but was delayed to January 5 after aerospace giants Airbus and Boeing raised concerns about potential interference with the devices used by planes to measure altitude.
U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg and the head of the Federal Aviation Administration, Steve Dickson, asked for the latest delay in a letter sent Friday to AT&T and Verizon, two of the country's biggest telecom operators. The U.S. letter asked the companies to "continue to pause introducing commercial C-Band service" — the frequency range used for 5G — "for an additional short period of no more than two weeks beyond the currently scheduled deployment date of January 5."
U.S. authorities have asked telecom operators AT&T and Verizon to delay for up to two weeks their already postponed rollout of 5G networks. | Pixabay
The companies did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The U.S. officials' letter assures the companies that 5G service will be able to begin "as planned in January with certain exceptions around priority airports." The officials say their priority has been "to protect flight safety, while ensuring that 5G deployment and aviation operations can co-exist." Last February, Verizon and AT&T were authorized to start using 3.7-3.8 GHz frequency bands on December 5, after obtaining licenses worth tens of billions of dollars.
But when Airbus and Boeing raised their concerns about possible interference with airplanes' radio altimeters, which can operate in the same frequencies, the launch date was pushed back to January. The FAA requested further information about the instruments, and it issued directives limiting the use of altimeters in certain situations, which sparked airline fears over the potential costs.
For reasons of compatibility, the French authorities advised against using 5G phones on planes in February. | JBSA
When Verizon and AT&T wrote to federal authorities in November to confirm their intention to start deploying 5G in January, they said they would take extra precautions beyond those required by U.S. law until July 2022 while the FAA completes its investigation. The conflict between 5G networks and aircraft equipment led French authorities to recommend switching off mobile phones with 5G on planes in February. France's civil aviation authority said interference from a signal on a nearby frequency to the radio altimeter could cause "critical" errors during landing. (VOA/ MBI)
(Keywords: 5g, delay, planes, US, networks, aviation, flight safety, interference)
Five world powers have agreed to work together to stop the further spread of nuclear arms and to avoid nuclear conflict, according to a joint statement."We believe strongly that the further spread of such weapons must be prevented," said the five permanent U.N. Security Council members China, France, Russia, Britain and the United States, collectively known as the P5."We affirm that a nuclear war cannot be won and must never be fought," the countries added.
The statement Monday from the P5 countries comes as tensions escalate between Western nations and Moscow over Russia's troop buildup at its border with Ukraine. Relations between the U.S. and China are also strained over disagreements such as alleged human rights abuses by Beijing, disputes over the South China Sea and Chinese military flights near Taiwan.Despite the tensions, the five nuclear powers said they saw "the avoidance of war between nuclear-weapon states and the reduction of strategic risks" as their "foremost responsibilities."The statement came after a scheduled review on Tuesday of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons was postponed to later in the year because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The five world powers reaffirmed their commitment to a key article in the treaty that calls for future nuclear disarmament. | VOA
The five world powers said they were committed to a key article in the treaty, which calls for countries to work toward full disarmament of nuclear weapons in the future.The Russian Foreign Ministry welcomed the declaration."We hope that, in the current difficult conditions of international security, the approval of such a political statement will help reduce the level of international tensions," it said in a statement.Monday's declaration also comes as diplomats resume talks to reviving Iran's 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.The administration of former U.S. President Donald Trump quit the nuclear deal in 2018, saying it was not tough enough on Iran, and reimposed U.S. sanctions. Iran retaliated a year later by publicly exceeding the nuclear activity limits agreed on as part of the 2015 deal. President Joe Biden has said he wants to honor the deal again if Iran does the same.The U.S. has repeatedly warned that time is running out for Iran to agree to a new deal. (VOA/ MBI)
(Keywords: international, world, countries, weapons, powers, nuclear, US, China, France, Russia, Britain, United States)
By Mrityunjoy Kumar Jha
UN officials appear to have run out of options as they have turned to one of the most wanted terrorist Sirajuddin Haqqani, currently the Interior Minister of the Taliban regime, asking him to provide security to its personnel and missions working in Afghanistan.
Follow NewsGram on Facebook to stay updated.
The UN is ready with a proposal to pay $6 million per year to Sirajuddin Haqqani who ironically also heads the UN designated terror outfit Haqqani Network (HQN). With a bounty of $10 million on his head, Sirajuddin Haqqani is among the top wanted terrorist list of the US.
According to the proposal, the UN will pay the money to Haqqani to safeguard the UN offices and facilities in Afghanistan. The Interior Ministry of the Taliban government is responsible for the internal security including the security of the UN and other foreign missions in Afghanistan but the security situation in the country has gone worse after the Taliban's capture of power. The UN withdrew all its staff and closed all facilities citing the lack of security.
"The United Nations has a duty as an employer to reinforce and, where necessary, supplement the capacity of host states in circumstances where UN personnel work in areas of insecurity," said the Deputy UN spokesman Farhan Haq, reports New York Post citing Reuters.
UN pitches paying $6M for security to Taliban unit whose chief is wanted by the FBI.
Interestingly it was the same Haqqani network which is responsible for deadly attacks on the foreign missions including the UN missions in Afghanistan during the previous regime. In their last regime in 1996, the Taliban had attacked the UN mission and dragged out the former president Najibullah and hanged him.
According to the report of Reuters, the UN proposal said that most of the USD 4 million security budget proposed for 2022 by the 20 UN agencies operating out of Afghanistan is the payment made to protect the UN personnel. This fund will boost the wages of Taliban 'fighters' who are 'protecting' UN personnel by $275-to-$319 per month. This will also provide them a monthly food allowance of USD 90 per person.
The US and the UN are not in hurry to legitimise the Taliban government.Council on foreign relations/wikipedia
Also read: The world condemns the Taliban
Last week, Sirajuddin Haqqani had told the UN Secretary-General's Special Representative, Dibra Lines, that the world must be prepared to engage with the Taliban. The recent picture of Haqqani released by his ministry still has the blurred face of Sirajuddin Haqqani. The Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said that if the UN and the world did not want to be threatened on Afghan soil, the group should be recognized as a responsible "government".
But the US and the UN are not in hurry to legitimise the Taliban government. On Wednesday, the US formally exempted US and UN officials doing official business with the Taliban from the US sanctions clearing the way for proposed UN payments of $6 million to the group for security.
According to media reports, the US has allowed its officials and those of certain international organizations, such as the United Nations, to engage in transactions involving the Taliban or Haqqani network as long as they are official business on certain kinds of projects, including humanitarian programs for basic human needs and education.
But the US maintains that sanctions against some Taliban leaders including leaders of Haqqani Network will remain in place. There are four "wanted" Haqqani leaders in the Taliban government including Sirajuddin Haqqani and his uncle Khalil-ur-Rahman Haqqani and both carry the bounty of $15 million on their heads.
(keywords: United Nations, Taliban, Afghanistan, Sirajuddin Haqqani US, UN Secretary-General)