Sunday May 19, 2019
Home World Trump’s...

Trump’s ‘Muslim ban’ disqualifies him from being president: White House

0
//
US Presidential Candidate

Washington: Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump’s statement calling for a temporary ban on all Muslims from entering the United States drew flak from White House on Tuesday.

White House press secretary Josh Earnest said that Trump’s remarks in this regard disqualifies from being president.

“The fact is what Donald Trump said yesterday disqualifies him from serving as president,” Earnest said in Tuesday’s press briefing.

Earnest said that every president is required to take an oath to “preserve, protect and defend the US Constitution, and his statement disqualifies Trump from being president.

Trump sent shock waves through the political establishment on Monday with a call to bar Muslims from entering the US until lawmakers figure out what is going on.

“Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on,” a campaign press release said.

Trump, who has previously called for surveillance against mosques and said he was open to establishing a database for all Muslims living in the US, made his controversial call in the wake of last week’s mass shooting in California by a Pakistani-origin couple.

Republican candidate Ben Carson called Trump’s proposal seeking ban on Muslims unconstitutional.

“It’s just not who we are,” said Carson. “We are not a people who react in a fearful way. You know, when you talk about prejudice, prejudice is usually born out of fear and ignorance. That’s not who we are… We do not discriminate on people based on religion — that’s constitutional, that’s in the First Amendment, so we would never want to do that.

However, at the same time he said that all visitors to the US should register and be monitored.

“Anybody who’s going to be coming to our country — we need to know why they’re coming,” Carson said.

(With inputs from agencies)

Next Story

US President Donald Trump Declares National Emergency Over Cyber Threats

The world's third largest smartphone maker, on the contrary, has repeatedly rubbished the allegations

0
tariffs, chinese imports
U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks on a range of subjects during an event in the Roosevelt Room at the White House in Washington, May 9, 2019. VOA

With a motive to protect US communications network from “foreign adversaries”, President Donald Trump declared a national emergency on Wednesday.

The executive order gives the federal government powers to restrict US companies from doing business transactions with certain foreign tech suppliers “posing an unacceptable risk to the national security”, said White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders in a statement.

According to the statement, Trump signed the executive order as “part of his commitment to protecting the information and communications technology and services” of the US.

“The President has made it clear that this Administration will do what it takes to keep America safe and prosperous, and to protect America from foreign adversaries who are actively and increasingly creating and exploiting vulnerabilities in information and communications technology infrastructure and services in the United States,” said the White House statement.

Donald Trump
US President Donald Trump earlier criticised social media platforms including Facebook and Twitter for anti-conservative bias. VOA

“This Executive Order declares a national emergency with respect to the threats against information and communications technology and services in the United States and delegates authority to the Secretary of Commerce to prohibit transactions posing an unacceptable risk to the national security,’ it added.

If reports are to be believed, Trump’s order is directed at Chinese telecom major Huawei. US believes that Huawei’s equipment could be used by China for surveillance.

Also Read- EC Orders Twitter to Remove Exit Poll-related Tweets

The world’s third largest smartphone maker, on the contrary, has repeatedly rubbished the allegations.

Last year, Trump signed a bill that barred the US government and its contractors from using components from Huawei and several other Chinese communications companies. (IANS)