Saturday July 21, 2018
Home India We have nucle...

We have nuclear weapons to ward off India’s war threat: Pakistan

0
//
57
Republish
Reprint

Washington: Pakistan has made low-yield nuclear weapons to bridge the gap for war that India had created through its cold-start doctrine, Foreign Secretary Aizaz Chaudhry said on Tuesday.

This is the first concrete explanation from a senior Pakistani official on how Islamabad plans to deal with New Delhi’s so-called cold-start doctrine, now renamed the proactive strategy, Dawn reported.

It also is a rare confession of Pakistan’s decision to make tactical nuclear weapons to deal with the possible threat of an Indian aggression.

Briefing the Pakistani media on Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s visit to Washington, Chaudhry said Pakistan would not sign any nuclear deal with the US during Sharif’s visit.

Sharif arrives in Washington on Wednesday for a meeting with US President Barack Obama, scheduled for October 22.

“Our nuclear programme is one dimensional: stopping Indian aggression before it happens. It is not for starting a war. It is for deterrence,” the foreign secretary said.

Explaining India’s cold-start doctrine, Chaudhry said under this strategy India had already moved its cantonments close to the Pakistani border. This allowed India also to move its conventional weapons close to Pakistan along with other vehicles and fuel supplies.

By drastically reducing the time required to launch an aggression against Pakistan, India had “created a space for war,” Chaudhry said.

He explained that Pakistan’s “low-yield, tactical nuclear weapons” would make it difficult for India to launch a war against Pakistan while remaining under the nuclear threshold.

In reply to a question about Pakistan joining the Nuclear Suppliers Group, the foreign secretary said the US policy of getting India included in this group was “discriminatory”.

“We encourage the US to have a non-discriminatory approach, a balanced approach,” he said.

(IANS)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

WhatsApp Makes Changes in India After Deadly Attacks

The firm said it will also remove the quick forward button placed next to media messages

0
whatsapp
India is WhatsApp's largest market. Pixabay

WhatsApp has announced changes for its 200 million users in India following the spread of viral messages via the app that resulted in deadly mob attacks.

India’s government has threatened to take WhatsApp to court, saying “…the medium used for such propagation cannot evade responsibility and accountability.” The information technology ministry said, “If they remain mute spectators they are liable to be treated as abettors and thereafter face consequent legal action.”

Satish Bhaykre, 21, who was beaten by a mob due to a fake WhatsApp text, poses inside his house on the outskirts of Nagpur, India, June 23, 2018.
Satish Bhaykre, 21, who was beaten by a mob due to a fake WhatsApp text, poses inside his house on the outskirts of Nagpur, India, June 23, 2018. (VOA)

The Facebook-owned messaging app said it will limit Indian users’ ability to forward messages, allowing only five contacts at a time to receive them.

The firm said it will also remove the quick forward button placed next to media messages.

Also Read: Government Pressure: Whatsapp to Limit Message Forwarding In INDIA

Both moves are designed to make stop the mass forwards that have resulted in the mob attacks.

India is WhatsApp’s largest market. (VOA)

Next Story