Wednesday September 19, 2018
Home World White America...

White Americans are the biggest terror threat, says report

0
//
84
A police line holds back white supremacist during a white power rally in downtown Calgary on Saturday, March 19, 2011. Police kept them apart from another group holding an anti-racist demonstration nearby. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Larry MacDougal
Republish
Reprint

download (3)

By NewsGram Staff Writer

A study conducted by the New America Foundation has revealed that white Americans are the biggest terror threat in the US, killing more people in attacks than Muslims or any other group in the last 14 years.

Post 9/11, out of the 26 attacks on US soil defined as terror by the foundation, 19 attacks were carried out by non-Muslims.

Compared to 26 people killed by jihadists since 9/11, 48 people have been killed by extremists who are not Muslim. These include right-wingers, anti-government organizations and white-supremacist groups.

Included in the count was last week’s Charleston shooting — whose shooter confessed to holding white-supremacist ideology —as the reason behind the massacre.

Attacks such as those in Aurora, Colorado and Newtown, Connecticut, were not included since they did not appear to have been caused by a specific ideology, the standard used by New America Foundation to qualify terrorism.

The New York Times reported that post-9/11 trauma has made jihadi terror attacks more prominent in the media, but that the US law enforcement is well aware of the danger of white extremist groups.

According to a recent survey of 382 US police departments done by researchers at the University of North Carolina and Duke University, 74 per cent listed anti-government violence, while just 39 per cent said “Al Qaeda-inspired” violence.

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

Saudi Arabia’s Sovereign Fund Invested $1 Billion In An American Electric Car Manufacturer

Saudi Arabia's 33-year-old Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has talked about using the PIF to help diversify the economy of the kingdom.

0
lucid motors
Derek Jenkins, VP of Design at Lucid Motors, introduces the alpha prototype of the Lucid Air at the 2017 New York International Auto Show in New York City. VOA

Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund invested $1 billion Monday in an American electric car manufacturer just weeks after Tesla CEO Elon Musk earlier claimed the kingdom would help his own firm go private.

Tesla stock dropped Monday on reaction to the news, the same day that the Saudi fund announced it had taken its first loan, an $11 billion borrowing from global banks as it tries to expand its investments.

The Saudi Public Investment Fund said it would invest the $1 billion in Newark, California-based Lucid Motors.

Lucid Motors
Lucid Motors. Flickr

The investment “will provide the necessary funding to commercially launch Lucid’s first electric vehicle, the Lucid Air, in 2020,” the sovereign wealth fund said in a statement. “The company plans to use the funding to complete engineering development and testing of the Lucid Air, construct its factory in Arizona, enter production for the Lucid Air to begin the global rollout of the company’s retail strategy starting in North America.”

Lucid issued a statement quoting Peter Rawlinson, its chief technology officer, welcoming the investment.

“At Lucid, we will demonstrate the full potential of the electric-connected vehicle in order to push the industry forward,” he said.

The decision comes after Musk on Aug. 7 tweeted that he had “funding secured” to take Tesla private. Investors pushed Tesla’s shares up 11 percent in a day, boosting its valuation by $6 billion.

Lucid Motors
Electric Car

There are multiple reports that the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission is investigating the disclosure, including asking board members what they knew about Musk’s plans. Experts say regulators likely are investigating if Musk was truthful in the tweet about having the financing set for the deal. Musk later said the Saudi Public Investment Fund would be investing in the firm, something Saudi officials never comment on.

Meanwhile Monday, the sovereign wealth fund known by the acronym PIF said it had taken its first loan, an $11 billion borrowing. It did not say how it would use the money, only describing it as going toward “general corporate purposes.”

Also Read: Electric Cars: The Newest Trend in India

The Las Vegas-based Sovereign Wealth Fund Institute estimates the Saudi fund has holdings of $250 billion. Those include a $3.5 billion stake in the ride-sharing app Uber.

Saudi Arabia’s 33-year-old Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has talked about using the PIF to help diversify the economy of the kingdom, which relies almost entirely on money made from its oil sales. (VOA)

Next Story