Tuesday August 20, 2019
Home World Yemen governo...

Yemen governor killed in blast

0
//

Aden: The governor of Yemen’s Aden province was killed along with six bodyguards after a bomb struck his vehicle in the country’s temporary capital on Sunday, an official source said.

Major General Jafar Mohammed Saad, the newly appointed governor of Aden, was killed while passing through Tawahi district towards his workplace, Xinhua quoted a military official as saying.

The attack was the second in recent months against high-level officials of the exiled Yemeni government.

In October, a hotel in Aden where Yemeni Prime Minister Khaled Bahah and his cabinet were living was attacked by a bomb attack inspired by the Islamic State. Bahah and his cabinet members escaped the attack unharmed.

(IANS)

Next Story

UN: Cholera Cases in Yemen Increased to 4,60,000

The U.N.'s $4.2 billion humanitarian appeal to help over 20 million Yemenis this year is only 32 percent funded

0
cholera
FILE - Women are treated for suspected cholera infection at Al-Sabeen hospital, in Sanaa, Yemen, Mar. 30, 2019. VOA

The U.N. says over 460,000 suspected cholera cases have been recorded in war-battered Yemen so far this year — a sharp rise from the 380,000 cases for all of 2018. U.N. deputy spokesman Farhan Haq says 705 suspected cholera deaths have been recorded since January — a dramatic increase from the 75 deaths in the same period last year.

Haq says the spread of cholera has been accelerated by recent flash flooding, poor maintenance of waste management systems and lack of access to clean water.

ALSO READ: Cutoff of Internet Service at Rakhine, Chin States Creates Difficulty for Civilians who Cannot Access Donors Online to Make Aid Requests

The U.N. and its partners are operating nearly 1,200 cholera treatment facilities across Yemen, but Haq says “funding remains an urgent issue.” The U.N.’s $4.2 billion humanitarian appeal to help over 20 million Yemenis this year is only 32 percent funded. (VOA)

Next Story