October 2, 2016: To pay tribute to the father of the Nation, October 2 in India is celebrated with zeal and fervour among Indians. This day holds immense significance as it marks Gandhi Jayanti or the birth anniversary of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. The political leader and social worker of India not only left a huge impact on the nation’s revolts for freedom; but with his ideology, philosophy, philanthropic acts and great teachings- India remains indebted to this legendary man, respected and adored as “Bapu”, for forever!
The political leader and social worker of India in the true sense of the term, not only left a huge impact on the nation’s revolts for freedom; but with his ideology, philosophy, philanthropic acts and great teachings- India remains indebted to this legendary man, respected and adored as “Bapu”, for forever!
The “Father of the Nation”, Gandhi Ji was born in 1869 in Gujarat to Karamchand Gandhi and Putlibai. 2nd October of 2016 marks his 147th birth anniversary or ‘Gandhi Jayanti’, and as per tradition, tributes, prayer services are offered and celebrations are held at Raj Ghat, New Delhi to pay homage to one of India’s greatest men.
NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.
The man, who had millions of follower worldwide and promoted peace and non-violence, enlightened the globe with his greatest sayings.
His most famous teachings include-
- “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.”
- “Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.”
- “Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever.”
- “It is health that is the real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.”
- “Where there is love there is life.”
- “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”
- “Non-violence is the first article of my faith; it is also the last article of my creed.”
- “A man is but the product of his thoughts; what he thinks, he becomes.”
- “The weak can never forgive; forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”
- “My life is my message.”
Events and Celebrations-
On the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti, a special long walk is to be organized across the whole city of New Delhi, as reported by the PTI. The organizer of the event is Delhi Tourism and the event, named ‘Gandhi Walks: Discover Gandhi’s Delhi and Feel Inspired’, is partnered by city-based ‘Delhi Walks’. The foremost agenda of this event is to offer a prime ‘insight’ into the times and life of the legendary Mahatma Gandhi.
Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues.
President Pranab Mukherjee greeted the whole nation on the eve of Gandhi Jayanti, stating that his views on morality, ethics and truth remain immanent to the national consciousness of India. His message reminded India of Gandhiji’s ideals of peace, non-violence, freedom, religious tolerance and equality hold immense value eternally.
The Gandhi Jayanti week celebrations in Kerala will be focused on tree-planting, sanitation, and anti-drug campaigns; reported The Hindu. A ceremony at the Gandhi Memorial will launch the program and multiple functions are to be organized.
Look for latest news from India in NewsGram.
Gandhi Ji is revered and followed all over the world and on Gandhi Jayanti of 2016 the nation is to rise up once again to reminisce and respect the life and teachings of the great Mahatma Gandhi.
– by Antara Kumar of NewsGram. Twitter: @ElaanaC