Wednesday August 15, 2018
Home Uncategorized 15 Hindu temp...

15 Hindu temples vandalised over ‘Anti Islamic’ FB posts in Bangladesh

Protests against the Facebook post were called under the banner of 'Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat' in Habiganj district headquarters and Nasirnagar

0
//
202
Representational image. Pixabay
Republish
Reprint

Dhaka, November 2, 2016:  A local Hindu fisherman allegedly posted an edited photo on Facebook of a Hindu deity inside the black cube-shaped Kaaba in Mecca, Saudi Arabia which  triggered panic among the minority community in the Muslim-majority nation. At least 15 Hindu temples in Bangladesh have been vandalized over allegations of disrespect shown to Islam on Facebook.

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.

On Sunday, temples in Brahmanbarhia district’s Nasirnagar were vandalized and more than 100 Hindu houses were looted. Two temples in Madhabpur in the neighboring Habiganj district were also attacked, police and witnesses said.

Two Islamist groups had been demonstrating to demand the arrest and execution of the fisherman when a group of between 100 to 150 men broke away and attacked the temples said District police chief Mizanur Rahman.

According to AFP report, Police had arrested six men in connection with the violence and a 30-year-old Hindu fisherman for the Facebook post. He’ll be charged with breaching internet laws.

NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today.

Paramilitary Border Guards Bangladesh (BGB) have been deployed in Nasirnagar and Madhabpur Upazila headquarters along with the Rapid Action Battalion, police and Armed Police Battalion, bdnews24.com reported.

The leaders of the local Hindu community said at least 15 temples were vandalised and numerous Hindu idols were destroyed during the hour-long rampage. Several priests were also injured during the attack. The incidents have sparked fears among the local Hindu community.

Protests against the Facebook post were called under the banner of ‘Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat’ in Habiganj district headquarters and Nasirnagar. Demonstrations were also announced in Habiganj’s Madhabpur.

Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates.

Buddhist monasteries, houses and shops in the Cox’s Bazar were attacked in same manner in 2012 on a similar allegation of disrespect towards Islam through a Facebook post.

Mizanur, quoting witnesses, said a group of the demonstrators, armed with local weapons, vandalized the temples at Duttubarhi, Namashudraparha and Ghoshparha, and Jagannath Temple and Goura Temple.

by NewsGram team

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

Next Story

Aadhaar Helpline Mystery: French Security Expert Tweets of doing a Full Disclosure Tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App

0
Google Along with Other SSocial Media Giants will Face The Lawmakers, Wikimedia Commons
Google Along with Other SSocial Media Giants will Face The Lawmakers, Wikimedia Commons

Google’s admission that it had in 2014 inadvertently coded the 112 distress number and the UIDAI helpline number into its setup wizard for Android devices triggered another controversy on Saturday as India’s telecom regulator had only recommended the use of 112 as an emergency number in April 2015.

After a large section of smartphone users in India saw a toll-free helpline number of UIDAI saved in their phone-books by default, Google issued a statement, saying its “internal review revealed that in 2014, the then UIDAI helpline number and the 112 distress helpline number were inadvertently coded into the SetUp wizard of the Android release given to OEMs for use in India and has remained there since”.

Aadhaar Helpline Number Mystery: French security expert tweets of doing a full disclosure tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App, Image: Wikimedia Commons.

However, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recommended only in April 2015 that the number 112 be adopted as the single emergency number for the country.

According to Google, “since the numbers get listed on a user’s contact list, these get  transferred accordingly to the contacts on any new device”.

Google was yet to comment on the new development.

Meanwhile, French security expert that goes by the name of Elliot Alderson and has been at the core of the entire Aadhaar controversy, tweeted on Saturday: “I just found something interesting. I will probably do full disclosure tomorrow”.

“I’m digging into the code of the @Google SetupWizard app and I found that”.

“As far as I can see this object is not used in the current code, so there is no implications. This is just a poor coding practice in term of security,” he further tweeted.

On Friday, both the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) as well as the telecom operators washed their hand of the issue.

While the telecom industry denied any role in the strange incident, the UIDAI said that he strange incident, the UIDAI said that some vested interests were trying to create “unwarranted confusion” in the public and clarified that it had not asked any manufacturer or telecom service provider to provide any such facility.

Twitter was abuzz with the new development after a huge uproar due to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Chairman R.S. Sharma’s open Aadhaar challenge to critics and hackers.

Ethical hackers exposed at least 14 personal details of the TRAI Chairman, including mobile numbers, home address, date of birth, PAN number and voter ID among others. (IANS)

Also Read: Why India Is Still Nowhere Near Securing Its Citizens’ Data?