Thursday October 18, 2018
Home Uncategorized Ban Ki-moon a...

Ban Ki-moon announces the closure of UN emergency mission for Ebola

0
//
31
Republish
Reprint

United Nations: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has announced the closure of the UN Mission for Ebola Emergency Response (UNMEER), a media report said.

Photo Credit: www.themalaysianinsider.com
Photo Credit: www.themalaysianinsider.com

The first-ever UN emergency health mission was established in September 2014 with its headquarters set in Ghana to meet immediate needs related to the fight against the unprecedented outbreak of Ebola in West Africa.

“The mission has achieved its core objective of scaling up the response on the ground and establishing unity of purpose among responders in support of the nationally led efforts,” said Ban in a statement released by his spokesperson on Friday.

“As we continue to actively strive to end the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have reached an important milestone in the global Ebola response,” Xinhua news agency reported quoting the statement.

As of August 1, oversight of the UN system’s Ebola emergency response will fully be led by the World Health Organization (WHO), under the direct authority of the WHO director-general, according to the statement.

In addition, Ban has maintained the high-level Ebola crisis managers in the hardest-hit countries under the oversight of WHO and with the support of the UN resident coordinators and UN country teams to get to zero cases, according to the statement.

The Ebola outbreak swept through the West Africa last year. Guinea, Sierra Leone, and Liberia are the three hardest-hit countries in the region.

(IANS)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

WHO Calls Emergency Meeting On Congo’s Ebola

Congo's health ministry says there are now 179 confirmed cases, including 104 deaths.

0
Ebola, WHO
In this photo taken Sept 9, 2018, a health worker sprays disinfectant on his colleague after working at an Ebola treatment center in Beni, DRC. VOA

The World Health Organization (WHO) says it is convening a meeting on Wednesday to determine whether Congo’s latest Ebola outbreak constitutes a public health emergency of international concern.

Aid organizations have expressed alarm as the rate of new cases has more than doubled this month and community resistance to Ebola containment efforts in some cases has turned violent.

Ebola, UNICEF. congo, DNA, WHO
Photo taken Sept 9, 2018, shows health workers walking with a boy suspected of having the Ebola virus at an Ebola treatment centre in Beni, Eastern Congo. VOA

This is Congo’s tenth Ebola outbreak but this is the first time the deadly virus has appeared in the far northeast, an area of active rebel attacks that health workers have compared to a war zone.

WHO recently said the risk of regional spread was “very high” as confirmed cases were reported close to the heavily traveled border with Uganda.

Also Read: Video- Congo Gets New Medical Tools To Contain Ebola

Congo’s health ministry says there are now 179 confirmed cases, including 104 deaths. (VOA)

Next Story