Sunday April 22, 2018
Home India Central Gover...

Central Government announces assistance of Rs 2,437 crore for Jammu and Kashmir

0
//
451
Republish
Reprint

 New Delhi: The Central Government on Tuesday said it was committed to the reconstruction and overall development of Jammu and Kashmir, and announced additional assistance of Rs.2,437 crore for rebuilding infrastructure, including housing, in the state.

The Central Government would do everything possible to help the people affected by flood last year and develop Jammu and Kashmir, Home Minister Rajnath Singh and Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said at a joint press conference here.

This additional amount would be released during the current financial year, the finance minister said.

“This government is committed to the full-fledged development of Jammu and Kashmir,” Rajnath Singh said, describing how immediate relief was provided to the state’s people when devastating floods hit them in September last year.

“I went there. Prime Minister (Narendra Modi) also went there. Rs.762 crore was allotted (for immediate relief). Prime minister also announced additional Rs.1,000 crore for relief and rehabilitation,” the home minister said.

The finance minister said that a total of Rs.2,602 crore was released last year under various heads. They said that the government soon realized that the funds were not enough to reconstruct the flood-affected state and hence, decided to give the  state more money to put it back on the track of development.

Jaitley said a team of central officials would visit the state again to assess the situation and make recommendations for developmental works in Jammu and Kashmir.

“The team will suggest long-term measures…this work is in progress,” the finance minister said, adding that Rs.2,437 crore will be released during the 2015-16 fiscal year to help the state.

Speaking on the occasion, Jammu and Kashmir Finance Minister Haseeb Drabu said: “We are working out a larger development programme. This will be a fully funded programme.”

He said it would take care of immediate relief to the people as well as long-term development programmes for the state. (IANS)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

Anna Hazare Breaks Fast After Government Assurance

0
//
45
Anna Hazare finally breaks his fast after government assurance. IANS
Anna Hazare finally breaks his fast after government assurance. IANS
  • Anna Hazare called off his hunger strike after government’s assurance
  • He fasted in Delhi’s Ramlila Ground
  • He fasted against unfair crop prices, electoral policies and Lokpal appointments

Social activist Anna Hazare on Thursday called off his hunger strike in support of his demands as the Central government sought six months to deal with his demands on fair crop prices, Lokpal appointment and electoral reforms.

Anna Hazare wants government to finish corruption completely and take steps in the right direction. Wikimedia Commons

“The government has agreed to demand on crop prices and agreed to take steps on the appointment of a Lokpal at the Centre and Lokayuktas in the states as soon as possible,” Hazare said as he announced that he was going to break his fast.

Hazare said he had been assured regarding the new electoral reforms and implementation of the M.S. Swaminathan Committee report to address the agrarian crisis in the country.

Also Read: Anna Hazare to initiate mass awakening through his Jan-Jagran Yatra

“The governments are meant for the public and it is government’s responsibility to provide the best service to its people,” he said.

Anna Hazare raised his voice against corruption and went ahead with his hunger strike at the Jantar Mantar in New Delhi.
Anna Hazare has also raised his voice against corruption and went ahead with his hunger strike at the Jantar Mantar in New Delhi earlier. Wikimedia Commons

Hazare launched his agitation in support of his demands at the Ramlila Maidan here on March 23. Earlier, he had launched a movement against corruption in 2011. IANS

Next Story