Wednesday August 15, 2018
Home India Connecting wi...

Connecting with Indian Diaspora: Karnataka looks forward to 14th edition of Pravasi Bhartiya Divas in January

0
//
81
An Indian Child (representative image), VOA
Republish
Reprint

New Delhi, Jan 6, 2017: The 14th edition of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas will take off on 7th January in Bangalore wherein Karnataka will get to showcase its strengths. Karnataka Industries Minister RV Deshpande gave an insight of the event while talking to a news agency. The event will take place for over three days.

Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current

Resident Indians (NRIs) generally try to highlight issues related to them and this is a platform where the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) responds to them directly. We (Karnataka government) is only a facilitator by holding the event in Bengaluru.”

According to The Hindu report, the Pravasi Bhartiya Divas will be a huge success in terms of participation as it has witnessed more than 3,900 registrations from 61 countries. Deshpande says, “We are expecting eight or nine chief ministers and many states are sending ministers. So far, 14 states have confirmed their participation. The Portuguese Prime Minister will be the chief guest.”

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.

Deshpande, who had given a statement in the 2015 Pravasi Bhartiya Divas saying that Bengaluru is the most happening city in the country with 50,000 dollar millionaires residing here, reasoned his words saying,”Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is not an investment event. This is a platform for connecting with the Indian diaspora. Here we try to understand their needs.

However, for the first time in the history of Karnataka, we are holding the event. I don’t expect investments to flow in. But I’m trying to showcase Karnataka to the PIOs and NRIs who are coming from across the world and also to the people from all over India. I’m trying to showcase its strengths and potentials. Yes, while showcasing the state, we will be highlighting as to why 50,000 dollar millionaires are residing in Karnataka.”

Look for latest news from India in NewsGram.

On asking about the investment angle, Deshpande said, ” As per the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP) statistics on investment proposals cleared in the country till November 2016, Karnataka tops the list with ₹1.49 lakh crore, followed by Gujarat at ₹50,000 crore.”

Bangalore is leaving no stones unturned in the process of prepping up for the event. However, the recent New Year fiasco of mass female molestation has left a black patch on the IT city. However, R V Deshpande had a different opinion regarding this.

He said,”That’s very sad. It’s unfortunate that it occurred in Bengaluru and I strongly condemn it. But it has nothing to do with the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas. As for Bengaluru’s image, I don’t think it was affected. Bengaluru has its own brand and own respect.”

– prepared by Shambhavi Sinha of NewsGram. Twitter:  @shambhavispeaks

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2017 NewsGram

Next Story

Aadhaar Helpline Mystery: French Security Expert Tweets of doing a Full Disclosure Tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App

0
Google Along with Other SSocial Media Giants will Face The Lawmakers, Wikimedia Commons
Google Along with Other SSocial Media Giants will Face The Lawmakers, Wikimedia Commons

Google’s admission that it had in 2014 inadvertently coded the 112 distress number and the UIDAI helpline number into its setup wizard for Android devices triggered another controversy on Saturday as India’s telecom regulator had only recommended the use of 112 as an emergency number in April 2015.

After a large section of smartphone users in India saw a toll-free helpline number of UIDAI saved in their phone-books by default, Google issued a statement, saying its “internal review revealed that in 2014, the then UIDAI helpline number and the 112 distress helpline number were inadvertently coded into the SetUp wizard of the Android release given to OEMs for use in India and has remained there since”.

Aadhaar Helpline Number Mystery: French security expert tweets of doing a full disclosure tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App, Image: Wikimedia Commons.

However, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recommended only in April 2015 that the number 112 be adopted as the single emergency number for the country.

According to Google, “since the numbers get listed on a user’s contact list, these get  transferred accordingly to the contacts on any new device”.

Google was yet to comment on the new development.

Meanwhile, French security expert that goes by the name of Elliot Alderson and has been at the core of the entire Aadhaar controversy, tweeted on Saturday: “I just found something interesting. I will probably do full disclosure tomorrow”.

“I’m digging into the code of the @Google SetupWizard app and I found that”.

“As far as I can see this object is not used in the current code, so there is no implications. This is just a poor coding practice in term of security,” he further tweeted.

On Friday, both the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) as well as the telecom operators washed their hand of the issue.

While the telecom industry denied any role in the strange incident, the UIDAI said that he strange incident, the UIDAI said that some vested interests were trying to create “unwarranted confusion” in the public and clarified that it had not asked any manufacturer or telecom service provider to provide any such facility.

Twitter was abuzz with the new development after a huge uproar due to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Chairman R.S. Sharma’s open Aadhaar challenge to critics and hackers.

Ethical hackers exposed at least 14 personal details of the TRAI Chairman, including mobile numbers, home address, date of birth, PAN number and voter ID among others. (IANS)

Also Read: Why India Is Still Nowhere Near Securing Its Citizens’ Data?