Monday October 15, 2018
Home Religion Detained Tibe...

Detained Tibetian Monk in China’s Sichuan Province, vanishes in Custody

A Tibetan monk detained in June by police in southwestern China’s Sichuan province has vanished in custody, with authorities refusing to provide details of his whereabouts or any charges made against him

1
//
204
Representational image. Pixabay
Republish
Reprint

September 29, 2016: A Tibetan monk detained in June by police in southwestern China’s Sichuan province has vanished in custody, with authorities refusing to provide details of his whereabouts or any charges made against him, a local source says.

Lodroe, a monk enrolled at the Jonang monastery in Dzamthang (in Chinese, Rangtang) county, was seized by police on June 14 while walking with friends to buy food in neighboring Barkham (Ruo’ergai) county, a Tibetan living in the area told RFA’s Tibetan Service on Tuesday.

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world

“He was taken away in handcuffs without explanation and has been held in custody ever since,” RFA’s source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

“His monastery and family and relatives have repeatedly asked the authorities for information about him, but have never received any answers,” the source said.

“Three months later, his whereabouts remain unknown,” he said.

News of Lodroe’s detention was delayed in reaching outside contacts owing to communication blocks imposed by Chinese authorities in the area.

Lodroe, 36, is a native of Ngatoe Tsida village in Sichuan’s Ngaba (Aba) county, RFA’s source said.

NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today

“His father’s name is Tsikthok and his mother’s name is Dzokre.”

“This is a very frustrating situation, and his family and relatives are deeply concerned about his welfare and current condition,” he said.

Chinese authorities last year banned a two-week religious assembly at Dzamthang’s Jonang monastery during which the monastery’s 3,000 monks would have hosted formal debates on religious topics, sources told RFA in an earlier report.

Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates

Jonang monastery had previously been the site of several self-immolation protests challenging Beijing’s rule in Tibetan areas, “which led to increasingly severe restrictions by the Chinese authorities,” one source said. (BBG Direct)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

  • Anubhuti Gupta

    Three months and his whereabouts is still unknown? How can they take somebody away in handcuffs without any explanation? This is outrageous

Next Story

Aadhaar Helpline Mystery: French Security Expert Tweets of doing a Full Disclosure Tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App

0
cryptocurrency. google
Pichai met with senior Republicans on Friday to discuss their concerns, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy said. Wikimedia Commons

Google’s admission that it had in 2014 inadvertently coded the 112 distress number and the UIDAI helpline number into its setup wizard for Android devices triggered another controversy on Saturday as India’s telecom regulator had only recommended the use of 112 as an emergency number in April 2015.

After a large section of smartphone users in India saw a toll-free helpline number of UIDAI saved in their phone-books by default, Google issued a statement, saying its “internal review revealed that in 2014, the then UIDAI helpline number and the 112 distress helpline number were inadvertently coded into the SetUp wizard of the Android release given to OEMs for use in India and has remained there since”.

Aadhaar Helpline Number Mystery: French security expert tweets of doing a full disclosure tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App, Image: Wikimedia Commons.

However, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recommended only in April 2015 that the number 112 be adopted as the single emergency number for the country.

According to Google, “since the numbers get listed on a user’s contact list, these get  transferred accordingly to the contacts on any new device”.

Google was yet to comment on the new development.

Meanwhile, French security expert that goes by the name of Elliot Alderson and has been at the core of the entire Aadhaar controversy, tweeted on Saturday: “I just found something interesting. I will probably do full disclosure tomorrow”.

“I’m digging into the code of the @Google SetupWizard app and I found that”.

“As far as I can see this object is not used in the current code, so there is no implications. This is just a poor coding practice in term of security,” he further tweeted.

On Friday, both the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) as well as the telecom operators washed their hand of the issue.

While the telecom industry denied any role in the strange incident, the UIDAI said that he strange incident, the UIDAI said that some vested interests were trying to create “unwarranted confusion” in the public and clarified that it had not asked any manufacturer or telecom service provider to provide any such facility.

Twitter was abuzz with the new development after a huge uproar due to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Chairman R.S. Sharma’s open Aadhaar challenge to critics and hackers.

Ethical hackers exposed at least 14 personal details of the TRAI Chairman, including mobile numbers, home address, date of birth, PAN number and voter ID among others. (IANS)

Also Read: Why India Is Still Nowhere Near Securing Its Citizens’ Data?