Wednesday July 24, 2019
Home Uncategorized Efforts on to...

Efforts on to trace two pilots of crashed Pawan Hans chopper

0
//

Mumbai: A massive search operation is on to locate two missing pilots of a Pawan Hans Ltd helicopter which crashed into the Arabian Sea around 80 nautical miles off south Mumbai, officials said on Thursday.

Members of the search operation have recovered a portion of the door of the ill-fated chopper which crashed on Wednesday evening around two nautical miles away from the SLQ Oil rig.

The 14-seater Pawan Hans Dauphin AS 365-N3 had two pilots on board on a night landing training mission. The cause of the crash is yet to be determined.

The names of the pilots are: commander E Samuel and co-pilot T K Guha, both living at the PHL residential complex in Mumbai.

According to the current situation, two Indian Coast Guard ships were diverted to the area, and also a helicopter carrying ship was dispatched from Porbandar port. Two Dornier choppers from Daman and Porbander were launched earlier on Thursday.

After the crash, Indian Navy’s Immediate Supply Vessels T48a nd T50, a naval destroyer INS Mumbai, a night capable helicopter Seaking C and other vessels were rushed to the area to trace the missing chopper, but rescue operations were hampered due to the morning haze.

A government undertaking, the PHL currently has nearly four dozen big and small helicopters in its fleet and is engaged in providing support services to the oil sector’s off-shore operations, services to remote hilly areas and tourist charters.

(IANS)

 

 

Next Story

On an Average, Nearly 1 Migrant Child Dying Daily Since 2014: UN

The Mediterranean remains the most fatal crossing, with over 17,900 people dying there –many on the hazardous trip between Libya and Italy

0
migrant
On Jan. 31, 2019, the migrant rescue ship Sea-Watch 3, carrying 47 migrants, comes into dock at the Sicilian port of Catania, southern Italy. VOA

The U.N. migration agency says migrant children have died or gone missing at the rate of nearly one per day worldwide over the past five years, with treacherous journeys like those across the Mediterranean or the U.S.-Mexico border continuing to take lives.

In its latest “Fatal Journeys” report, the International Organization for Migration has released findings that some 1,600 children – some as young as 6 months old – are among the 32,000 people who have perished in dangerous travels since 2014.

migrant
FILE – Migrants, mainly from Central America, guide their children through the entrance of a World War II-era bomber hanger in Deming, N.M., May 22, 2019. Appeals court judges will hear arguments over conditions in holding facilities near the border. VOA

The Mediterranean remains the most fatal crossing, with over 17,900 people dying there –many on the hazardous trip between Libya and Italy.

ALSO READ: Trump Sends Undocumented Migrants to Sanctuary Cities

The IOM also pointed to rising deaths every year along the U.S.-Mexico border since 2014, totaling more than 1,900 over five years. (VOA)