Patient Recovering from First US Penis Transplant
A Massachusetts man is recovering from the United States’ first penis transplant, and doctors in Boston say they are “cautiously optimistic” he will make a full recovery.
Sixty-four-year-old Thomas Manning lost his penis to cancer in 2012 and was given a new one last week thanks to an anonymous dead donor.
Manning said he wanted to go public about his surgery, which took 15 hours, to encourage others who may be ashamed or humiliated by the loss of a sex organ.
If all goes well, doctors say Manning will regain full urinary and sexual functions. They also say they want to ensure the operation is a success before they perform it on others, including wounded soldiers.
Related article :What Hinduism thinks of gay sex through the ages
Watch this :
The world’s first successful penis transplant was undertaken last year in South Africa.
It was tried in China about 10 years ago, but the patient asked doctors to remove the organ because he and his wife had psychological problems.
Manning’s doctors at Massachusetts General Hospital said his psychological state will play a big role in his recovery.
“Emotionally, he’s doing amazing,” Dr. Curtis Cetrulo told a news conference Monday. “I’m really impressed with how he’s handling things. … He wants to be whole again. He does not want to be in the shadows.”
The Boston Herald reported that Cetrulo was among the lead surgeons on a team of more than 50. (Voice of America)