Get subscribed to our newsletter
Get interesting updates to your email inbox.
By Sunidhi Beeliya
The online learning industry is progressing leaps and bounds since the addition of new-age features like microlearning, AI, AR/VR, personalized learning, mobile-based learning, and user-generated content. Gamification is another popular feature used by learning and development teams to make the courses interesting and engaging. The term defines the inclusion of game-like features in online training and educational programs. Organizations use different gamification techniques to fulfill specific goals and create an immersive learning environment for the learners.
As an online learner, completing online training might be difficult for you at times due to uninteresting subject matter, lack of engagement and motivation, time-management issues, monotonous teaching format, or issues understanding the instructor. However, training including gamification elements keep you hooked, build motivation, build competitiveness among peers, boost memory, encourage you to perform better, spend more time on learning, and meet deadlines. Some of such gamification elements include —
Follow NewsGram on Facebook to stay updated.
- Incentives: encourage you to continue learning –
Online training usually features non-monetary incentives that are delivered to you based on your learning activity. Completion of every module, quiz, test, assignment, or project, in a given time period, adds to your incentives. Once you achieve a milestone, say you complete your first training module at the fastest pace among other students in your batch, college, or city, your incentive is your rank highlighting at the top. You also get the option of sharing your rank in your professional network or on your social media handles. This helps boost your visibility and recognition, among employers and fellow learners, as a professional who is determined, constantly learning, and developing her skill-sets.
While learning, you probably might not notice the existence of such incentives that encourage you at every step to learn a little more. Incentives help you cope with the monotony of learning or leaving the training midway. It ensures that you complete the training and make the best use of the resources that you have spent on enrolling in the training.
- Reward points: help build a peer network and ensure healthy competition –
The essence of learning with peers is at times lost during online training. Gamification elements such as reward points for referring your friends and extra points at each step, help build a strong peer network and initiate discussions and conversations. While you and your referred friend both learn and grow together and get reward points for unlocking modules, watching the training videos in sequence, or submitting assignments, you might also get the chance to redeem your reward points. Let’s say, after completion of training, if you have earned 150 reward points, the points could be converted to a cash value (like 2 points= ₹1) and you could either get a discount or your next training or an instant cashback.
There are times when you might just skip a topic considering it unimportant to complete the training faster. However, reward points ensure that you attend every video tutorial to achieve your aim of learning a new skill. Reward points also help in building a great peer network where you communicate, learn from each other, develop a deep understanding of the subject, build judgment and critiquing ability, develop critical thinking, compete and cooperate, and attain ownership and responsibility.
- Leaderboard and badges: keep you on track and motivate you to put maximum efforts –
Amidst your busy schedule, there is a possibility that you might skip learning for a few days or weeks which will hinder your progress. To complete online training, it is important to take complete ownership as there is no one to regulate or instruct you. Leaderboards and badges give you direct insight into your learning habits. To climb up on the leaderboard, you get a personalized schedule, study plan, target, or notification, that alerts you to increase or maintain your learning pace. In addition to this, with every achievement such as completing a quiz on the first attempt, being the first to submit the assignments in your batch, and sharing your leaderboard rank, you also get badges. You can receive basic badges, achievement badges, or award badges based on your activity.
ALSO READ: 5 Online Courses To Boost Your Career
While leaderboards allow you to track the rank of your peers and work hard accordingly to rank among the top 5, badges add up titles to your ranking where you could either be called a ‘warrior, power-packed performer, login master, or quiz king’ and so on. These gamification elements help you learn at a constant pace every day instead of lagging behind in the earlier weeks and completing the training in haste later. You put more effort every day while learning and give your best to perform better and rank higher than your peers.
Courtesy: Internshala Trainings (trainings.internshala.com) – an online training platform
(Disclaimer: The article is sponsored and hence, promotes some commercial links.)
By Olivia Sarkar
Comforting Christmas cocktails help you enjoy the celebrations and get into the festive spirit. The Leela Palaces, Hotels, and Resorts offer distinctive cocktails ranging from Hot Toddies to Decadent Egg Nogs. Sit back and enjoy one martini at a time to make the festive season a little brighter.
Dirty Chai Eggnog:
30 ml Bourbon
30 ml Baileys
90 ml Hot milk tea
Sweet cream foam to top up
Cinnamon powder and star anise.
1. In a heavy bottomed med sauce pot, prepare tea with milk. Strain and let it cool.
2. In a cocktail shaker add egg white, Bourbon, Baileys with whole spices. Shake well.
3. Pour the tea in the glass followed by ingredients from cocktail shaker.
4. Garnish with nutmeg and cinnamon powder, whole star anise
Eggnog is a Christmas favourite that is accustomed to toasts for good health and prosperity.| Pikist
Inspired by the Christmas Spirits and holiday flavours is a wonderful concoction of warm whisky, sweet vanilla, and thick butter.
45 ml Butter fat washed Whiskey
20 ml Ginger bread syrup
15 ml Spiced Apple liquor
2 dashes of Bitters
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1. Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker
2. Shake well
3. Pour into an old-fashioned glass
4. Garnish with Gingerbread cookie
Inspired by the Christmas Spirits and holiday flavors is a wonderful concoction of warm whisky, sweet vanilla, and thick butter. | Flickr
(Keywords: Santa's Apple, Egg Nogs, December, Cocktail, Cocktail, Christmas, holiday, celebrations)
Probiotics may significantly improve the symptoms of pregnancy-related nausea, vomiting and constipation, finds a new study.
The study, published in the journal Nutrients, showed that nausea hours (the number of hours participants felt nauseous) were reduced by 16 per cent, and the number of times they vomited was reduced by 33 per cent.
Follow NewsGram on LinkedIn to know what's happening around the world.
Probiotic intake also significantly improved symptoms related to the quality of life, such as fatigue, poor appetite and difficulty maintaining normal social activities, as scored by questionnaires.
"The cause of nausea and vomiting during pregnancy is unknown to this date. Various theories have been proposed, but none of them is conclusive," said lead author Albert T. Liu from the University of California, Davis.
Also Read : Changes in the Skin during Pregnancy
"Nausea, vomiting and constipation during pregnancy can significantly diminish the quality of patients' lives. Once nausea and vomiting during pregnancy progress, they can become difficult to control, and sometimes the patient even needs to be hospitalized," Liu added.
For the study, the team involved a small yet significant number of participants who took a probiotic capsule twice a day for six days and then took two days off. They then repeated the cycle.
The team found that probiotics were also found to reduce constipation significantly.Unsplash
The probiotics were available over-the-counter and mainly contained Lactobacillus., a type of good bacteria. Each capsule contained approximately 10 billion live cultures at the time of manufacture.
Participants kept 17 daily observations of their symptoms during the duration of the study, for a total of 535 observations for the researchers to statistically assess.
The team found that probiotics were also found to reduce constipation significantly.
Another finding was that vitamin E levels increased after taking probiotics. Higher levels of vitamin E were associated with low vomiting scores. (IANS/SP)
(Keywords : probiotics, pregnancy, nausea, vomiting, nutrients, symptoms, fatigue, appetite, constipation, vitamin.)
- Impaired Liver Function During Pregnancy Leads To Obese Kids ... ›
- Smoking during pregnancy can harm baby's brain - NewsGram ... ›
By Olivia Sarkar
If the year 2020 appeared bleak for the world, the year 2021 served as a frightening reminder that it wasn't so much about the year as it was about the times we've come to live in. Every domain and industry has experienced seismic shifts, both for the better and for the bad. However, just a few fields have seen such a huge paradigm shift as online dating throughout the course of 2021.
It becomes critical to document and analyse the important observations in the year 2021's dating trends in order to determine where online dating stands and where it is headed. This is where a poll conducted by one of India's popular dating apps, QuackQuack, comes in handy. "The pandemic has undoubtedly thrown a few curveballs towards folks wanting to date," remarked Mr. Ravi Mittal, Founder and CEO of QuackQuack, in response to the survey report. Males and females, in my opinion, are fast coming to terms with a new universe of online dating every day, adopting more self-paced and healthier forms of dating, a growing process that will soon become the standard."
The key takeaways from the survey can be best summarized as below:
- Vaccination is a must: An overwhelming 8 out of 10 persons in the survey's sample size expressed support for mandatory vaccination as a prerequisite to a date. A considerable 65 per cent and 75 per cent of people in the 18-20 and 21-30 age categories, respectively, agreed on the same thing. The need of a double jab was consistently emphasized across the country's top cities and tier 2 cities, with 75 per cent and 70 per cent of the sample size in each believing that the first step toward a safe date would have to be complete immunization of the other.
An overwhelming 8 out of 10 persons in the survey's sample size expressed support for mandatory vaccination as a prerequisite to a date. | Photo by CDC on Unsplash
- Dating with a purpose: The poll revealed that, because of the Covid procedures in place, people have had little motivation to walk outside, leading them to think on the nature of the dates they've discovered on the dating app rather than searching for matches in a desperate manner. The survey found that 47 per cent of women and 35 per cent of men agreed with this behavioral change, and that the act of reflection and introspection allowed them to have healthier relationships than before.
The difference in deliberate dating trends between people who live in cities and those who live in rural or semi-urban settings was quite similar. While roughly 37 per cent of urban teenagers believed their dating experience had taken an intentional turn, 39 per cent of rural or semi-urban teenagers felt the same way.
The difference in deliberate dating trends between people who live in cities and those who live in rural or semi-urban settings was quite similar. | Photo by René Ranisch on Unsplash
- Location is pivotal: According to the survey, a whopping 58 per cent and 56 per cent of people between the ages of 18 and 20 and 21 and 30 preferred hooking up with someone from a different place to broaden their search for a potential spouse. This trend proved to be more prevalent among women, as 58 per cent of them were comfortable dating partners from foreign countries, compared to only 50 per cent of men. Further study into a demographic analysis of the sampled data found that 46 per cent of those living in major metro cities preferred dating outside of their home location, while 57 per cent of those living in smaller cities and towns favored the same.
According to the survey, a whopping 58 per cent and 56 per cent of people between the ages of 18 and 20 and 21 and 30 preferred hooking up with someone from a different place to broaden their search for a potential spouse. | Pixabay
- Video calling versus meeting in person: Due to the ongoing Covid problem across the country, a large majority of 56 per cent of 18 to 20-year-olds preferred having their first date on a virtual medium and were risk-averse, according to the survey. On the other hand, 43 per cent of persons aged 30 and up, who adhere to a more traditional approach, decided to meet in person while taking all essential safety steps.
43 per cent of persons aged 30 and up, who adhere to a more traditional approach, decided to meet in person while taking all essential safety steps. | Photo by Matt W Newman on Unsplash
According to the survey, a vast majority of 56 per cent of 18 to 20-year-olds preferred having their first date on a virtual medium and were risk-averse due to the ongoing Covid crisis across the country. In contrast, 43 per cent of people aged 30 and up who prefer a more traditional approach preferred to meet in person while following all necessary safety precautions according to the survey. (IANS/ MBI)
(Keywords: meeting, Video calling, Location, Vaccination, dating trends, 2021, Online Dating)