Wednesday August 15, 2018

Humans arrived in Australia 10,000 years earlier than thought, say Archaeologists

Researchers spent nine years excavating the site at a depth of one metre, recovering approximately 4,300 artefacts and 200 bone fragments from 16 mammals

0
//
138
Representational image. Flickr
Republish
Reprint

Canberra, November 3, 2016: Archaeologists in central Australia have discovered that humans arrived in the region 10,000 years earlier than previously thought.

Researchers excavating a rock shelter site in Flinders Ranges, 550 km north of Adelaide, believed that they found evidence of a human presence in the area dating back 49,000 years, Xinhua news agency reported.

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.

The artefacts, including burnt egg shells and stone tools, challenge the widely-held belief that the continent’s first humans, which arrived in New South Wales (NSW) on the east coast 50,000 years ago, took up to 11,000 years to reach Australia’s centre. The latest discovery indicates that figure is more likely to be 1,000 years.

Giles Hamm, the lead researcher of the project, said the discovery would question ideas of how and when such tools came to be used in Australia.

NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today.

“The old idea is that people might have come from the East, from the Levant, out of Africa, and these modern humans may have come with a package of innovative technologies,” Hamm said on Thursday.

“But the development of these fine stone tools, the bone technology, we think that happened as a local innovation, due to a local cultural evolution.”

Hamm along with local indigenous elder Clifford Coulthard found the site, known as Warratyi, by accident while surveying gorges in the northern Flinders Ranges.

Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates.

Hamm said that while initially surveying the gorge he noticed a cave with a blackened roof 20 metres above the creek bed but admitted he thought the site would reach back 5,000 years.

The team spent nine years excavating the site at a depth of one metre, recovering approximately 4,300 artefacts and 200 bone fragments from 16 mammals. (IANS)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

Next Story

Aadhaar Helpline Mystery: French Security Expert Tweets of doing a Full Disclosure Tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App

0
Google Along with Other SSocial Media Giants will Face The Lawmakers, Wikimedia Commons
Google Along with Other SSocial Media Giants will Face The Lawmakers, Wikimedia Commons

Google’s admission that it had in 2014 inadvertently coded the 112 distress number and the UIDAI helpline number into its setup wizard for Android devices triggered another controversy on Saturday as India’s telecom regulator had only recommended the use of 112 as an emergency number in April 2015.

After a large section of smartphone users in India saw a toll-free helpline number of UIDAI saved in their phone-books by default, Google issued a statement, saying its “internal review revealed that in 2014, the then UIDAI helpline number and the 112 distress helpline number were inadvertently coded into the SetUp wizard of the Android release given to OEMs for use in India and has remained there since”.

Aadhaar Helpline Number Mystery: French security expert tweets of doing a full disclosure tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App, Image: Wikimedia Commons.

However, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recommended only in April 2015 that the number 112 be adopted as the single emergency number for the country.

According to Google, “since the numbers get listed on a user’s contact list, these get  transferred accordingly to the contacts on any new device”.

Google was yet to comment on the new development.

Meanwhile, French security expert that goes by the name of Elliot Alderson and has been at the core of the entire Aadhaar controversy, tweeted on Saturday: “I just found something interesting. I will probably do full disclosure tomorrow”.

“I’m digging into the code of the @Google SetupWizard app and I found that”.

“As far as I can see this object is not used in the current code, so there is no implications. This is just a poor coding practice in term of security,” he further tweeted.

On Friday, both the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) as well as the telecom operators washed their hand of the issue.

While the telecom industry denied any role in the strange incident, the UIDAI said that he strange incident, the UIDAI said that some vested interests were trying to create “unwarranted confusion” in the public and clarified that it had not asked any manufacturer or telecom service provider to provide any such facility.

Twitter was abuzz with the new development after a huge uproar due to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Chairman R.S. Sharma’s open Aadhaar challenge to critics and hackers.

Ethical hackers exposed at least 14 personal details of the TRAI Chairman, including mobile numbers, home address, date of birth, PAN number and voter ID among others. (IANS)

Also Read: Why India Is Still Nowhere Near Securing Its Citizens’ Data?