Wednesday December 12, 2018
Home Uncategorized Iraqi Governm...

Iraqi Government Forces trade Artillery Fire with Islamic State Militants as they attempted to advance into Mosul

Iraqi forces also gained a foothold in the Gogjali district of Mosul, overcoming heavy fortifications by IS militants

0
//
Men are held by Iraqi national security agents, to be interrogated at a checkpoint, as oil fields burn in Qayara, south of Mosul, Iraq, Nov. 5, 2016. Islamic State fighters are launching counterattacks in the thin strip of territory Iraqi special forces have recaptured in eastern Mosul. VOA
Republish
Reprint

Cairo, November 6, 2016: Iraqi government forces traded artillery fire Saturday with Islamic State militants as they attempted to advance into areas of eastern Mosul. Government media reported the troops had entered at least five eastern districts of the city within the past 48 hours and that bitter fighting was continuing.

Iraqi commander General Sami Aridi told state media his forces were continuing to advance. He said his forces had moved into the Mosul districts of Zahra, Karama and Tahrir and were trying to push farther into adjacent areas, but that the battle was still going on.

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.

Commander Qassim Jassam of the Iraqi military’s 9th Division said the Islamic State militants were mounting bitter resistance. He contended that IS fighters were being defeated in the Intisar district but had slowed the government advance with at least six car bombs, several suicide bombs and a variety of booby-trapped objects. He said the group was committing atrocious war crimes.

Iraqi forces also gained a foothold in the Gogjali district of Mosul, overcoming heavy fortifications by IS militants in control of the area for the past two years.

The Texas-based private security firm Stratfor released a series of satellite images taken earlier this week that showed IS defenses inside Mosul. A variety of obstacles, including cement barriers, trenches and other rubble, could be seen blocking routes into the city center.

People displaced by fighting between the Iraqi military and Islamic State militants pass through an alley in Gogjali, on the eastern outskirts of Mosul, Iraq, Nov. 5, 2016. Mosul is the last major IS stronghold in Iraq. VOA
People displaced by fighting between the Iraqi military and Islamic State militants pass through an alley in Gogjali, on the eastern outskirts of Mosul, Iraq, Nov. 5, 2016. Mosul is the last major IS stronghold in Iraq. VOA

On the western side of the Tigris River, which divides the city, satellite images revealed that IS had created a no-man’s land near a strategic former military base and outside the city’s main airport. Buildings that might have been used for cover by advancing Iraqi forces had been destroyed.

Government forces trying to reach Mosul from the south of the city reportedly captured the village of Hamam al-Alil, six kilometers outside the city, according to Iraqi state TV. Kurdish forces confirmed that Iraqi flags were now flying from buildings there, near Mosul’s airport.

Also, Shi’ite volunteer militiamen, known as “al-Hushd,” were reported to have captured four villages west of Mosul, near the town of Tel Afar.

NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today.

Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi visited the Iraqi army’s front lines near Bartella on Saturday, carrying what he described as a message to civilians in Mosul who have been “hostages in the hands of Daesh [IS].”.

“We will liberate you soon,” Abadi vowed, but he said the push to retake all of Mosul could come in spurts, since Iraqi forces were facing stiff resistance from IS, including roadside bombs, sniper fire and suicide car bombings.

“Our heroic forces will not retreat and will not be broken,” Abadi said.

An Iraqi special forces sniper searches for a target on the outskirts of Mosul, Iraq, Nov. 4, 2016. Heavy fighting erupted in the eastern neighborhoods of Mosul on Friday as Iraqi special forces launched an assault deeper into the urban areas of the city. VOA
An Iraqi special forces sniper searches for a target on the outskirts of Mosul, Iraq, Nov. 4, 2016. Heavy fighting erupted in the eastern neighborhoods of Mosul on Friday as Iraqi special forces launched an assault deeper into the urban areas of the city. VOA

Kurdish news reports said Abadi later flew by helicopter to Irbil, the regional capital of Kurdish Iraq, where he conferred with Kurdish President Masoud Barzani and other top Kurdish officials.

In a televised statement from Irbil, Abadi said: “Our forces [at Mosul] are advancing on all fronts and there is no retreat. There is no delay in military operations, which are going as planned.”

He also said the number of civilians who had been displaced from their homes in or near Mosul had been lower than anticipated, but did not give precise estimates of how many Mosul residents had escaped from the area.

Amid the fighting, U.N. officials told Arab media they needed at least $60 million to fund refugee camps that have been set up outside Mosul. The Iraqi government said 29,000 refugees have left areas surrounding the city since military operations began October 17.

Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates.

One man who fled Mosul with his family complained to Arab media that conditions for refugees were bad and getting worse. He said there weren’t enough tents for everyone and that food and sanitation situations were extremely difficult.

Abdel Sitar Shehab, who heads an Iraqi NGO in Tikrit, told Iraq’s Asharqiya TV as many as 25 people were sleeping in each tent and that “some refugees are going hungry.” Arab media reported a new refugee camp called Hassan al Sham had been set up outside the Kurdish regional capital of Irbil for about 3,000 people. (VOA)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

Next Story

Aadhaar Helpline Mystery: French Security Expert Tweets of doing a Full Disclosure Tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App

0
cryptocurrency. google
Google, Facebook face greater scrutiny in Australia. Wikimedia Commons

Google’s admission that it had in 2014 inadvertently coded the 112 distress number and the UIDAI helpline number into its setup wizard for Android devices triggered another controversy on Saturday as India’s telecom regulator had only recommended the use of 112 as an emergency number in April 2015.

After a large section of smartphone users in India saw a toll-free helpline number of UIDAI saved in their phone-books by default, Google issued a statement, saying its “internal review revealed that in 2014, the then UIDAI helpline number and the 112 distress helpline number were inadvertently coded into the SetUp wizard of the Android release given to OEMs for use in India and has remained there since”.

Aadhaar Helpline Number Mystery: French security expert tweets of doing a full disclosure tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App, Image: Wikimedia Commons.

However, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recommended only in April 2015 that the number 112 be adopted as the single emergency number for the country.

According to Google, “since the numbers get listed on a user’s contact list, these get  transferred accordingly to the contacts on any new device”.

Google was yet to comment on the new development.

Meanwhile, French security expert that goes by the name of Elliot Alderson and has been at the core of the entire Aadhaar controversy, tweeted on Saturday: “I just found something interesting. I will probably do full disclosure tomorrow”.

“I’m digging into the code of the @Google SetupWizard app and I found that”.

“As far as I can see this object is not used in the current code, so there is no implications. This is just a poor coding practice in term of security,” he further tweeted.

On Friday, both the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) as well as the telecom operators washed their hand of the issue.

While the telecom industry denied any role in the strange incident, the UIDAI said that he strange incident, the UIDAI said that some vested interests were trying to create “unwarranted confusion” in the public and clarified that it had not asked any manufacturer or telecom service provider to provide any such facility.

Twitter was abuzz with the new development after a huge uproar due to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Chairman R.S. Sharma’s open Aadhaar challenge to critics and hackers.

Ethical hackers exposed at least 14 personal details of the TRAI Chairman, including mobile numbers, home address, date of birth, PAN number and voter ID among others. (IANS)

Also Read: Why India Is Still Nowhere Near Securing Its Citizens’ Data?