Islamabad, May 24, 2017: Today, the Islamabad High Court in Pakistan has allowed an Indian woman to return to India, who has sought refuge at the Indian mission here after accusing a Pakistani man of forcibly marrying her, a media report said.
In her early 20s, Uzma had traveled to Pakistan earlier this month, in May. She said that the Pakistani national Tahir Ali “forced” her to marry him at gunpoint. This incident seems not uncommon as forceful marriage is a common incident in the country.
NewsGrambrings to you latest new stories in India.
Pleas were filed by both Uzma and Ali and Justice Mohsin Akhtar Kiyani in charge of the case. While Uzma had requested to be repatriated to India, Ali has asked to be allowed to meet his wife, mentioned PTI.
Uzma, who hails from New Delhi was assured by the High Court assured that she is free to return to India at any point and will be escorted to the Wagah Border with police security, Dawn newspaper reported.
Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues.
During the hearing, the judge asked Uzma if she wished to speak to her husband but she refused. Further, Uzma has alleged that her travel documents were also stolen by Ali.
On May 12, Uzma had petitioned the court with the request and had submitted a medical report, showing that her daughter was suffering from thalassemia – an inherited blood disorder characterized by abnormal hemoglobin production – and she urgently needed to return to India, mentioned PTI report.
Uzma and Ali reportedly met in Malaysia and fell in love, after which she traveled to Pakistan on May 1 via the Wagah Border. The two contracted nikkah (marriage) on May 3.
– prepared by Staff writer at NewsGram.
NewsGram is a Chicago-based non-profit media organization. We depend upon support from our readers to maintain our objective reporting. Show your support by Donating to NewsGram. Donations to NewsGram are tax-exempt.
Houston, August 30, 2017: With some 200 Indian students of the University of Houston affected by floods in the wake of tropical storm Harvey, the Indian mission in the Texas city on Tuesday shared helpline numbers for worried families and relatives back in India.
“We are getting understandably a number of communications from worried friends and relatives in India seeking details about family and friends in distress in Houston due to flooding or informing us about whereabouts of friends/family who might require rescue,” Indian Consul General in Houston Anupam Ray said in a statement.
“We will do our best to help in every such case,” he said.
Ray said that for specific queries about specific individuals, Consul Ravindra Joshi can be contacted at +18322311988, adding that the normal emergency line, +17136262149, was functioning.
“In case the lines are overwhelmed please leave a voice mail and we will return the call,” he added.
As one of the most destructive storms in the US history lashed southeast Texas, forecasts have warned of still more rain, making clear that massive flooding that had turned neighbourhoods into lakes was just the start of a disaster that would take years to overcome, The New York Times reported.
So far, 10 deaths were reported with six of them in Harris county which includes Houston, the country’s fourth largest city, the report said.
On Monday, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted that the 200 Indian students were “surrounded by neck-deep water”.
“We made efforts for delivery of food but US Coast Guard did not allow as boats were required for rescue operations,” she said.
However, later in the evening, Consul General Ray said that the Indian students were safe and have been provided with food. (IANS)
Pakistani man faces charges of sexually assaulting an Indian-origin teenager
The accused is suspected to have taken advantage of the child suffering from a mental disability
Dubai, August 18, 2017: Sexual assault is not gender-specific. This has been proved yet again as the case of the assault of a mentally-challenged Indian teenager by a middle aged Pakistani man came to light.
A 34-year-old Pakistani man is at present facing charges for sexually assaulting an 18-year-old mentally challenged Indian boy in Dubai. According to a report in the Khaleej Times, the incident took place on February 23, this year, and was reported to the Al Rashidiya police station.
The case was presented to the Court that the accused took advantage of the victim’s mental condition and lured him for a ride in his car. The man picked the boy from his residence in Al Rashidiya and drove him to a remote, dark street where the boy was allegedly sexually assaulted. The man has been charged on the grounds of assaulting a male, as per the report by Khaleej Times.
The 18-year old victim is an Indian-origin student in Dubai and suffers from a mild mental disability that makes him unaware of his actions and behavior.
A police lieutenant was quoted saying that the boy had come to the police station with his father, hoping to lodge a complaint. “The teenager said that he was walking outside his place when he met the defendant and they exchanged mobile numbers”, he said.
The officer further added, “The accused called him shortly later and took him inside his car”. According to the report by ANI, the man allegedly demanded to have a sexual encounter with the boy, which he refused. Following this, the man took advantage of his mental condition and forced himself upon the boy.
The accused was said to have been arrested from his office, two days after the complaint was lodged.
According to the police lieutenant, the accused claimed that he had met the boy outside a grocery in Al Rashidiya, following which they exchanged numbers. The boy had asked the man for Dh10, which he did not give to the 18 year old, who then rode in his car. “He claimed the boy started touching him inappropriately which made him sexually assault him,” the lieutenant added, as per the report by ANI.
According to the forensic reports, the accused’s DNA was found on the boy’s body and his underwear.
The 34 year old accused is currently facing charges of assaulting a male in Dubai.
NewsGram is a Chicago-based non-profit media organization. We depend upon support from our readers to maintain our objective reporting. Show your support by Donating to NewsGram. Donations to NewsGram are tax-exempt. Click here-www.newsgram.com/donate
Depending on the location, the proliferation of IS has drawn varied resistance from the Afghan military, U.S. air support and ground troops, local militias, Taliban forces and other militant groups
Afghan army planes on Wednesday night accidentally air dropped vital supplies of food and water to IS militants in the Darzab district of northern Jouzjan province instead of to their own besieged troops
In the Tora Bora area, where IS has made a strong stand in recent days, local villagers and militias joined with Taliban to rout IS
June 25, 2017: The Islamic State group is rapidly expanding in parts of Afghanistan, advancing militarily into areas where it once had a weak presence and strengthening its forces in core regions, according to Afghan and U.S. officials.
Depending on the location, the proliferation of IS has drawn varied resistance from the Afghan military, U.S. air support and ground troops, local militias, Taliban forces and other militant groups.
Attacking IS has become such a priority in the country, that disparate forces sometimes join together in the ad-hoc fight, with Afghan and U.S. forces finding themselves inadvertently supporting the enemy Taliban in battling IS.
Confusion leads to mistakes
All too often, officials say, mistakes are made due to confusion on the ground.
Afghan army planes on Wednesday night accidentally air dropped vital supplies of food and water to IS militants in the Darzab district of northern Jouzjan province instead of to their own besieged troops, provincial police chief, Rahmatullah Turkistani told VOA. The supplies were meant to help Afghan forces that are countering twin attacks by IS and Taliban militants but were used instead by IS.
“It’s not getting better in Afghanistan in terms of IS,” U.S. Chief Pentagon Spokeswoman Dana White told VOA this week. “We have a problem, and we have to defeat them and we have to be focused on that problem.”
Reinforcements for the IS cause reportedly are streaming into isolated areas of the country from far and wide. There are reports of fighters from varied nationalities joining the ranks, including militants from Pakistan, India, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Russia and Central Asian neighbors.
Still, the Islamic State-Khorasan (ISK) as IS is known in Afghanistan remains a fragmented group composed of differing regional forces with different agendas in different parts of the country.
“IS-K is still conducting low-level recruiting and distribution of propaganda in various provinces across Afghanistan, but it does not have the ability or authority to conduct multiple operations across the country,” a recent Pentagon report said. But where it operates, IS is inflicting chaos and casualties and causing confusing scenarios for disparate opponents.
In the Tora Bora area, where IS has made a strong stand in recent days, local villagers and militias joined with Taliban to rout IS. IS regained ground after a few days, leading to U.S. military air attacks on IS positions in conjunction with Afghan intelligence instructions and army operations.
IS fighters reportedly have fled from mountain caves of Tora Bora, where al-Qaida’s leader Osama bin Laden hid from U.S. attack in 2001.
IS fighters were also reportedly advancing in neighboring Khogyani district, displacing hundreds of families, according to district officials. It is one of several areas in Nangarhar province, near the Pakistani border, where IS has been active for over two years.
Fierce clashes in the Chaparhar district of Nangarhar last month left 21 Taliban fighters and seven IS militants dead, according to a provincial spokesman. At least three civilians who were caught in the crossfire were killed and five others wounded.
“IS has overpowered Taliban in some parts of Nangarhar because the Taliban dispatched its elite commando force called Sara Qeta (Red Brigade) to other parts of the country, including some northern provinces to contain the growing influence of IS there,” Wahid Muzhda, a Taliban expert in Kabul, told VOA.
IS has also expanded in neighboring Kunar province, where, according to provincial police chief, it has a presence in at least eight districts and runs a training base, where foreign members of IS, train new recruits.
Hundreds of miles from Nangarhar, IS is attempting to establish a persistent presence in several northern provinces where it has found a fertile ground for attracting militants and recruiting unemployed youths, mostly between the age of 13 and 20.
IS has been able to draw its members from the Pakistani Taliban fighters, former Afghan Taliban, and other militants who “believe that associating with or pledging allegiance” to IS will further their interests, according to the Pentagon report.
Hundreds of militants have joined IS ranks in northern Jouzjan and Sar-e-Pul province where local militant commanders lead IS-affiliate groups in several districts.
Qari Hekmat, an ethnic Uzbek and former Taliban militant who joined IS a year ago, claims to have up to 500 members, including around 50 Uzbek nationals who are affiliated with the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU) — previously associated with al-Qaida and Taliban in Afghanistan.
IS and Taliban are reportedly fighting over the control of Darzab district in Jouzjan which they stormed this week from two different directions and besieged scores of government forces. The Taliban has reportedly captured the center of the district while IS militants control the city outskirts.
Afghanistan faces a continuing threat from as many as 20 insurgent and terrorist networks present or operating in the Afghanistan-Pakistan region, including IS, the Pentagon said.
“In areas where the government has limited influence and control, IS attempts to emerge and expand there,” Ateequllah Amarkhail, an analysts and former Army general in Kabul told VOA.
IS has also claimed responsibility for several recent attacks in urban areas, however, with a hit-and-hide strategy that is proving effective. And it is engaging too in more skirmishes with U.S. forces that initially were sent to the country to help Afghan forces halt the spread of Taliban.
Three American service members based in eastern Afghanistan were killed in April during operations targeting IS militants, according to the Pentagon.
“ISIS-K remains a threat to Afghan and regional security, a threat to U.S. and coalition forces, and it retains the ability to conduct high-profile attacks in urban centers,” the Pentagon said. (VOA)