Saturday November 23, 2019
Home World Japan’s...

Japan’s Mount Aso Volcano records its first Eruption in 36 Years, says a Meteorological Agency

No reports of serious damage or injuries in the surrounding areas have come so far, some streets in adjoining areas were covered in a fine layer of ash

0
//
Representational Image. Pixabay

October 8, 2016: Japan’s Mount Aso volcano recorded its first eruption in 36 years on Saturday but reportedly caused no serious damage, said the Japanese Meteorological Agency (JMA).

The 1,562-meter volcano on Japan’s main southern island of Kyushu began to rumble early Saturday spewing ash as high as 11,000 meters into the air, Efe news reported.

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world

While no reports of serious damage or injuries in the surrounding areas have come so far, some streets in adjoining areas were covered in a fine layer of ash.

The JMA has raised the alert level from 2 to 3 (on a scale of 5).

It has also warned residents of adjoining areas to stay alert to the possibility of a fresh eruption that could spray ash and volcanic gases.

In April this year, the Kumamoto and Oita prefectures were witness to the country’s worst earthquakes since March 2011.

NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today

However, experts have yet to determine if these temblors, which left 49 dead and thousands homeless, may have had an impact on Mt. Aso, located close to the epicentre of the April quakes.

Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates

The last time the volcano registered a violent eruption was in January 1980, shortly before which – in September 1979 – another eruption had killed three hikers in the area.

Japan is located within the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire and has some 110 active volcanoes. (IANS)

Next Story

Aadhaar Helpline Mystery: French Security Expert Tweets of doing a Full Disclosure Tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App

0
cryptocurrency. google
Google comes up with a new feature

Google’s admission that it had in 2014 inadvertently coded the 112 distress number and the UIDAI helpline number into its setup wizard for Android devices triggered another controversy on Saturday as India’s telecom regulator had only recommended the use of 112 as an emergency number in April 2015.

After a large section of smartphone users in India saw a toll-free helpline number of UIDAI saved in their phone-books by default, Google issued a statement, saying its “internal review revealed that in 2014, the then UIDAI helpline number and the 112 distress helpline number were inadvertently coded into the SetUp wizard of the Android release given to OEMs for use in India and has remained there since”.

Aadhaar Helpline Number Mystery: French security expert tweets of doing a full disclosure tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App, Image: Wikimedia Commons.

However, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recommended only in April 2015 that the number 112 be adopted as the single emergency number for the country.

According to Google, “since the numbers get listed on a user’s contact list, these get  transferred accordingly to the contacts on any new device”.

Google was yet to comment on the new development.

Meanwhile, French security expert that goes by the name of Elliot Alderson and has been at the core of the entire Aadhaar controversy, tweeted on Saturday: “I just found something interesting. I will probably do full disclosure tomorrow”.

“I’m digging into the code of the @Google SetupWizard app and I found that”.

“As far as I can see this object is not used in the current code, so there is no implications. This is just a poor coding practice in term of security,” he further tweeted.

On Friday, both the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) as well as the telecom operators washed their hand of the issue.

While the telecom industry denied any role in the strange incident, the UIDAI said that he strange incident, the UIDAI said that some vested interests were trying to create “unwarranted confusion” in the public and clarified that it had not asked any manufacturer or telecom service provider to provide any such facility.

Twitter was abuzz with the new development after a huge uproar due to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Chairman R.S. Sharma’s open Aadhaar challenge to critics and hackers.

Ethical hackers exposed at least 14 personal details of the TRAI Chairman, including mobile numbers, home address, date of birth, PAN number and voter ID among others. (IANS)

Also Read: Why India Is Still Nowhere Near Securing Its Citizens’ Data?