Mexico City Metro teach its commuters a lesson on Sexual Harassment

Above the seat, a sign reads: "It's uncomfortable to sit here but it doesn't compare with the sexual violence that women suffer in their everyday lives

0
51
Sexual Harassment
Mexico City metro, Image Courtesy: Pixabay

Mexico City, March 29, 2017: Sexual Harassment is an evil which has terrorized each and every woman at some stage of their lives; be it the workplace, educational institutions, in public places or even at home, this social evil seems to be omnipresent. But instead of combating this immorality, we’ve acclimatized to it as a new normal or Chalta Hai in Hindi. Our apathy towards this nefarious practice has contributed so well to its magnitude that its reach now covers 90 percent of the women worldwide. Yes, 90 percent of the women have somewhere and somehow witnessed the wrath of sexual harassment. The remaining 10 percent are I guess small girls who are being ready to be exposed in a society where male chauvinism, patriarchy, and misogyny hold their heads sky high.

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.

At the same time, when someone stands up to confront and combat this demented psychology, a ray of hope enters in the heart. And when this ray of hope reaches our heart with the effort of a government, that ray transforms into a rising sun which will fade away the darkness of denial that people have engulfed within.

Mexico City Metro has gone viral after installing a ‘penis seat’ on one of its trains. The stunt – which is part of a campaign against sexual harassment – has made more than a few commuters feel extremely uncomfortable.

NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today.

The campaign video shows people’s reactions as they sit on the chair, which has been moulded into the shape of a man’s chest and groin area. Some sit down without noticing, only to jump up as soon as they realise what is between their legs, others try to cover it up with their jackets in order to sit down and some just look away in disgust – but this is the whole point of the campaign.

Above the seat, a sign reads: “It’s uncomfortable to sit here but it doesn’t compare with the sexual violence that women suffer in their everyday lives. 9 out of 10 women in Mexico City have been victims of some form of sexual violence.”

Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates.

It’s definitely an attention-grabbing stunt that we approve of, especially if it gets more eyes on that shocking statistic.

-prepared by Ashish Srivastava of NewsGram Twitter @PhulRetard