- Kazingmei is indigenous to the art of sewing and stitching from his experience of mending his own clothes since the very beginning
- Being a resident of Manipur, he had been greatly influenced by the Hallyu wave which could be found in all the films, songs and other cultural manifestations of the place
- In 2012, launched one of his own line of clothes: Immoral, which was dedicated to the Naga tribes
There has always been a lot of tension between the north-eastern states of India and the rest of India. Rarely, but there are few people who can bridge the gap with their creativity. To make the bond strong, Trend MMS of Assam and the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region organised a show called “Colours of Northeast” on June 29. The show was a gala celebration of the culture of North-east India itself.
Asa Kazingmei, the most popular Naga designer displayed his garments, along with some other contemporaries.
- Kazingmei is indigenous to the art of sewing and stitching from his experience of mending his own clothes since the very beginning. It had urged him to pursue a career in fashion. This dream of his had taken him to Mumbai, from where he completed his course in fashion designing. International Institute of Fashion Design in Bandra served as his Alma mater. Finally, his edgy style of designing presented him with the opportunity of debuting at the Lakme Fashion Week as one of the seven Gen Next designers, reported the Hindu.
- Being a resident of Manipur, he had been greatly influenced by the Hallyu wave which could be found in all the films, songs and other cultural manifestations of the place. As a Korean film buff, he manufactures a lot of layered scarves, garments with a burst of pop colours and zany jackets.
- 2012 had proved to be a landmark event in his career. It bore witness to the launch of his own line of clothes: Immoral, which was dedicated to the Naga tribes. The apparels were greatly applauded at the Lakme Fashion Week’12.
- Kazingmei had always been adept in martial arts. He is a black belt holder and had taken part in numerous state and district level championships when he was younger. Becoming a martial arts instructor would have been his alternative career choice, mentions the Hindu.
- In 2014, his Changvei collection, inspired by the Naga warriors’ shield created a lot of buzz in the Lakme Fashion Week. The thick denims, leather and monotone of black exuded a strong vibe.
- Kazingmei’s latest collection had been named “Reptonic” and was recently showcased at the Lakme Fashion Week’16. It earned a name for the beautiful use of satin, lace, net, crystal and golden leather, the long, floaty and textured silhouettes.
Other than that, Asa Kazingmei’s designs have become a regular in the Bollywood films. Some of the movies that showcased his garments were Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania, Dhoom 3, and Bang Bang. We wish him all the best for his future endeavours. He is an inspiration for all the youngsters of not only north-east India but the entire country.
-This article is compiled by a staff-writer at NewsGram.
- North-east designer eyes Milan, Paris after London fashion week
- Designer from Meghalaya showcases Indian ethnic apparel at global fashion hubs
- Manipuri designer helps flood victims through fashion show
Copyright 2016 NewsGram