Sunday November 17, 2019
Home Politics Myanmar State...

Myanmar State Commission rejects UN criticism of Rohingya Muslims Abuse Investigation

Myanmar Government has been denied criticisms pointed by foreign countries about the assaults and harassments towarsd the Rohingya community by military

1
//
FILE - The United Nations headquarters building is pictured though a window with the UN logo in the foreground. VOA

Yangon, Feb 7, 2017: A Myanmar state commission, probing allegations the military has murdered, assaulted and violated Rohingya Muslims rejected accusations. It is not credible, the Commission said today focusing on the “truth” and not pleasing the UN.

Last week the Human Rights Office of United Nations demanded Myanmar’s military had likely slaughtered hundreds of Rohingya during a continuing crackdown in a “calculated policy of terror” against the Muslim minority.

According to reports, nearly 70,000 Rohingya have fled to Bangladesh since the army launched “clearance operations” four months ago to find Rohingya militants allegedly carrying out deadly raids on police border posts, mentioned PTI.

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.

The report by the UN’s rights body OHCHR said the accounts of crimes like torture, murder and gang-rape committed at the hands of security forces were so severe that it may amount to ethnic cleansing.

Among the testimonies published there were a number of accounts of children massacred with knives while their mothers were molested by security forces.

For months Myanmar dismissed such testimonies assembled by foreign media and human rights groups and curtailed access to the region.

Following last week’s UN report, a spokesman for Myanmar’s president stated that the government was very much concerned by the “extremely serious allegations” and would take measures to look into these issues through the Rakhine commission.

Critics have denied the state-appointed body, which was led by retired general and Vice President Myint Swe and consists of no Muslims, as toothless and lacking in credibility, mentioned AFP report.

NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today.

Last month it issued an interim report that rejected the allegations that claimed the troops had carried out a genocidal campaign against the Rohingya minority and saying it had found “insufficient evidence” of rape.

“The existing commission is not a credible option to undertake the new investigation,” the UN’s top official on preventing genocide, Adama Dieng, said in his staement in New York on Monday.

“I am concerned that the government commission… found nothing to substantiate the claims, while OHCHR… found an overwhelming number of testimonies and other forms of evidence,” he added.

But commission member Aung Tun Thet rejected the criticism, pointing out the fact that the body was focused on getting “fair results” and not impressing the international community.

“What’s more important than refuting them (the UN) is finding the truth,” Aung Tun Thet, a retired UN adviser, told the media. “There will be criticism however hard you try. But for the commission, we must work out the truth of the situation.”

The Rakhine commission is the second body created by Myanmar’s de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi in a national attempt to heal the religious divide in the state since sectarian unrest caused the death of more than 100 people in 2012, mentioned PTI.

In August she fellow Nobel laureate and former UN chief Kofi Annan was appointed to lead a separate body tasked with investigating solutions for the sectarian-plagued region.

Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates.

Buddhist nationalists have bitterly proclaimed that body as foreign meddling.

There are more than a million people belonging to the Rohingya community in Rakhine state, where they are considered illegal immigrants from Bangladesh and forced to live in a situation akin to apartheid.

– prepared by Durba Mandal of NewsGram. Twitter: @dubumerang

  • justice4 world

    Trump again berated the world media saying they are total dishonest on Tuesday ,Feb 7 2017.
    “I don’t mind a bad story if it’s true. I don’t like bad stories, stories that should be a positive story when they make them totally negative.”
    He has also accused a section of the American media, including The New York Times, of running “fake news”.

    The foreign media interviews in Cox’s bazar,Bangladesh conducted with
    Bengali Rohingya refugees are largely fake and exaggerated.
    None of the news portals report facts, just fictional accounts.
    Usually the Bengali Rohingya terrorists and the Bengali Rohingya Right group
    coach Bengali rohingya refugees to lie, to cry when media interviewing.
    The stories of rape and extra-judicial killings are mass-transmitted
    and in no way are they fabricated
    unless the entire population in addition to all media outlets and
    human-rights organizations have conspired together.

SHARE
  • justice4 world

    Trump again berated the world media saying they are total dishonest on Tuesday ,Feb 7 2017.
    “I don’t mind a bad story if it’s true. I don’t like bad stories, stories that should be a positive story when they make them totally negative.”
    He has also accused a section of the American media, including The New York Times, of running “fake news”.

    The foreign media interviews in Cox’s bazar,Bangladesh conducted with
    Bengali Rohingya refugees are largely fake and exaggerated.
    None of the news portals report facts, just fictional accounts.
    Usually the Bengali Rohingya terrorists and the Bengali Rohingya Right group
    coach Bengali rohingya refugees to lie, to cry when media interviewing.
    The stories of rape and extra-judicial killings are mass-transmitted
    and in no way are they fabricated
    unless the entire population in addition to all media outlets and
    human-rights organizations have conspired together.

Next Story

WHO Demands Strict Regulations on Vaping Products

WHO says there should be a ban on the promotion of electronic nicotine delivery systems to nonsmokers, pregnant women and youth

0
WHO
The World Health Organization also known as WHO says it is disturbed that vaping devices continue to be marketed as products that are healthy and that can wean smokers off their nicotine addiction. Wikimedia Commons

The World Health Organization also called WHO is calling for stricter regulations on the marketing and sale of e-cigarettes as more information comes to light about the potentially harmful impact of these products.

Health officials are increasingly worried about the risks posed by e-cigarettes as reported cases of deaths and illnesses from these devices spread from the United States to Europe and beyond. They see the recent death of a young man in Belgium and reports of vaping-related illnesses in the Philippines and other countries in the world as a call to action.

The World Health Organization says it is disturbed that vaping devices continue to be marketed as products that are healthy and that can wean smokers off their nicotine addiction.  WHO spokesman Christian Lindmeier tells VOA these industry health claims are unproven.

“While these electronic nicotine delivery systems may be less toxic than conventional cigarettes, this does not make them harmless,” he said.  “They produce aerosols from the vapor that contain toxicants that can result in a range of significant pathological changes.  These ends pose health risks for nonsmokers, to minors, to pregnant women — all of those who should not use such systems.”

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed at least 42 deaths in 24 states and the District of Columbia, and more than 2,100 illnesses related to vaping products.

WHO
The World Health Organization also called WHO is calling for stricter regulations on the marketing and sale of e-cigarettes as more information comes to light about the potentially harmful impact of these products. Pixabay

Vaping is an extremely profitable growth industry.  The number of people using vaping devices has increased from 7 million in 2011 to 41 million in 2018.  Profits have nearly tripled, from $6.9 billion five years ago to more than $19 billion today.  Getting the tobacco industry to refrain from the sale of electronic smoking devices will be extremely difficult.

The World Health Organization says long-term studies of health implications of electronic nicotine devices should begin.  In the meantime, the U.N. health agency is issuing recommendations that in some ways mirror those enacted to control tobacco use.

ALSO READ: Smart Bulbs Can Steal Personal Information Through Hacking

WHO says there should be a ban on the promotion of electronic nicotine delivery systems to nonsmokers, pregnant women and youth; measures should be taken to minimize the potential risks to users and others from these devices, and the tobacco industry should be prohibited from using unproven health claims to market vaping products.  (VOA)