Saturday September 22, 2018
Home World Nigerian Doct...

Nigerian Doctor describes Moment when he saw Cousins Kidnapped by Boko Haram Terrorist Group

Doctor Allen Manasseh says he was overwhelmed when he first saw them because they looked like they had suffered

2
//
105
Some of the 21 Chibok school girls released are seen during a meeting with Nigeria's Vice President Yemi Osinbajo in Abuja, Nigeria, Oct. 13, 2016.VOA
Republish
Reprint

Abuja, October 19, 2016: Dr. Allen Manasseh describes the moment when one of his cousins first saw him on Sunday at the official reunion ceremony for Chibok families in Abuja.

“When she saw me, she could not say anything. She was just crying,” he recalls. “And she was saying it was just like a dream, as if it was something they had given up on [returning home safely to their loved ones].”

The doctor reunited Sunday with two of his cousins – Gloria Dame and Maryamu Lawan – who were kidnapped by Boko Haram in April 2014 from their secondary school in Chibok.

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.

“They never thought they would make it through,” he says, “but lo and behold they are out and that smell of freedom was something else.”

Some of the 21 Chibok school girls released are seen during a meeting with Nigeria's Vice President Yemi Osinbajo in Abuja, Nigeria, Oct. 13, 2016.VOA
Some of the 21 Chibok school girls released are seen during a meeting with Nigeria’s Vice President Yemi Osinbajo in Abuja, Nigeria, Oct. 13, 2016.VOA

Suffering, food deprivation

Manasseh’s says he was overwhelmed when he first saw them because they looked like they had suffered.

“It is difficult to describe the feeling,” he says, searching for the words to convey his emotions, adding “they look leaner than [before] they were abducted.”

Manasseh is grateful that none of his cousins came back with any children, and says they told him they were not forced to marry any Boko Haram members.

NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today.

But their lean bodies are a testament to the food deprivation they suffered while in captivity – Manasseh’s cousin Gloria said some of the girls had no food to eat for 40 days.

Some of the 21 Chibok school girls released are seen during a meeting with Nigeria's Vice President Yemi Osinbajo in Abuja, Nigeria, Oct. 13, 2016.VOA
Some of the 21 Chibok school girls released are seen during a meeting with Nigeria’s Vice President Yemi Osinbajo in Abuja, Nigeria, Oct. 13, 2016.VOA

Doubt surrounds effort to find other captives

Meanwhile, the Nigerian government says talks are continuing to bring back another 83 of the nearly 200 girls kidnapped by Boko Haram.

Whether or not a ransom was paid for the 21 released last week remains unclear. The Nigerian government denied a report from the Associated Press that millions of dollars were paid by the Swiss government on behalf of Nigeria. The Nigerian government also says no imprisoned Boko Haram members were exchanged for the girls.

But Emman Shehu, one of the leaders of the Bring Back Our Girls movement that has advocated for the kidnapped girls’ release, doubts the government’s story.

Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates.

“We think that something happened. Even when the government said officially nothing happened, it turns out that something did happen,” Shehu says.”That has always been the history of negotiating for hostages in the hands of terrorists.”

Won’t give up

Shehu says the group will watch for the rest of the month to see if other girls are rescued. If not, Bring Back Our Girls will continue to pressure the government.

For now, Chibok families are relishing the memory of what it felt like to hold their daughters for the first time in two years. (VOA)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

  • Diksha Arya

    Just hope that the remaining girls would be rescued soon..

  • Ruchika Kumari

    Meeting own family members after such a long suffering is just a priceless feeling.

Next Story

Aadhaar Helpline Mystery: French Security Expert Tweets of doing a Full Disclosure Tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App

0
planet, google, environment
Google's new tool can help you make our planet healthy. Wikimedia Commons

Google’s admission that it had in 2014 inadvertently coded the 112 distress number and the UIDAI helpline number into its setup wizard for Android devices triggered another controversy on Saturday as India’s telecom regulator had only recommended the use of 112 as an emergency number in April 2015.

After a large section of smartphone users in India saw a toll-free helpline number of UIDAI saved in their phone-books by default, Google issued a statement, saying its “internal review revealed that in 2014, the then UIDAI helpline number and the 112 distress helpline number were inadvertently coded into the SetUp wizard of the Android release given to OEMs for use in India and has remained there since”.

Aadhaar Helpline Number Mystery: French security expert tweets of doing a full disclosure tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App, Image: Wikimedia Commons.

However, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recommended only in April 2015 that the number 112 be adopted as the single emergency number for the country.

According to Google, “since the numbers get listed on a user’s contact list, these get  transferred accordingly to the contacts on any new device”.

Google was yet to comment on the new development.

Meanwhile, French security expert that goes by the name of Elliot Alderson and has been at the core of the entire Aadhaar controversy, tweeted on Saturday: “I just found something interesting. I will probably do full disclosure tomorrow”.

“I’m digging into the code of the @Google SetupWizard app and I found that”.

“As far as I can see this object is not used in the current code, so there is no implications. This is just a poor coding practice in term of security,” he further tweeted.

On Friday, both the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) as well as the telecom operators washed their hand of the issue.

While the telecom industry denied any role in the strange incident, the UIDAI said that he strange incident, the UIDAI said that some vested interests were trying to create “unwarranted confusion” in the public and clarified that it had not asked any manufacturer or telecom service provider to provide any such facility.

Twitter was abuzz with the new development after a huge uproar due to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Chairman R.S. Sharma’s open Aadhaar challenge to critics and hackers.

Ethical hackers exposed at least 14 personal details of the TRAI Chairman, including mobile numbers, home address, date of birth, PAN number and voter ID among others. (IANS)

Also Read: Why India Is Still Nowhere Near Securing Its Citizens’ Data?