Wednesday July 24, 2019
Home Politics Not a single ...

Not a single MW or unit of electricity is generated by Bihar government owned power plants: Piyush Goyal

0
//
Photo: Economic Times

By NewsGram Staff-Writer

Patna: Piyush Goyal, the Union Power Minister stated that the electricity generated in Bihar power plants was zero. The statement came after the Nitish Kumar’s state government published a full-page advertisement in newspapers that claimed that Bihar has improved its power scenario.

Photo: IBN LIVE
Photo: IBN LIVE

The Economic Times report quotes Goyal as saying: “Not a single MW or unit of electricity is generated by Bihar government owned power plants. The entire power supply to Bihar is being met by the Centre.

The Minister added that the Center is providing 2800 MW of power to Bihar on a daily basis, out of which around 484 MW of power is beyond the allocated share of the state.

Goyal said: “The ground reality belies all those claims being made by the Nitish Kumar government about improvement in power situation in Bihar.” And asked the state government about when it is going to start power production, as per the ET report.

Goyal also hit back at the Bihar government regarding transmission infrastructure and transmission losses. He said that at least 46% of the power gets lost during transmission which is “unacceptably high”. Pointing towards the poor quality of transmission infrastructure, Goyal said that during last five years, around 46000 transformers had been changed due to their poor quality. He added that with the current transmission infrastructure consisting of 628 power stations and 98 grid sub-stations, it is not possible to provide electricity to all villages.

The per capita power consumption in Bihar is just 200 units, as against 1000 units at the national level.

Next Story

India Struggles with Encephalitis Outbreak in Eastern State of Bihar, One of Its Poorest Regions

In 2014, an outbreak of encephalitis killed 350 children in Muzaffarpur

0
India, Encephalitis Outbreak, Bihar
Children showing symptoms of encephalitis undergo treatment at Sri Krishna Medical College Hospital in Muzaffarpur, Bihar state, India, June 18, 2019. VOA

At least 152 children have died in an encephalitis outbreak during the month of June in India’s eastern state of Bihar, according to local health authorities. Following a petition, India’s supreme court ordered an investigation into the epidemic.

Acute encephalitis syndrome, sometimes referred to as ‘brain fever’, has claimed lives in 20 of Bihar’s 38 districts.  In particular, the disease has gripped the Muzaffarpur district of Bihar, reaching epidemic proportions in a region already stricken with poverty and poor child health.

In 2014, an outbreak of encephalitis killed 350 children in Muzaffarpur.

A petition filed to India’s supreme court sought to end the current epidemic, accusing local and regional governments of being negligent in their response.

India, Encephalitis Outbreak, Bihar

At least 152 children have died in an encephalitis outbreak during the month of June in India’s eastern state of Bihar. Pixabay

“[Encephalitis] is completely curable and lives of young children are being lost due to the inaction of state machinery,” the petition read.

“Most of the deaths are occurring due to lack of medical facilities in the area of outbreak,” it continued.

In response to the petition, Indian supreme court justice Sanjiv Khanna said “We issue notice to the Bihar government seeking a detailed response.”

State and national officials must respond within seven days on health conditions, according to India’s top court.

Also Read- Mutombo, One of the Greatest Defensive Players in NBA, Records Ebola Messages for US Officials

India’s health ministry affirmed its earlier promise to open a children’s ward in the district and monitor the epidemic, as state health official face sharp criticism for what has been seen as indifference and negligent behavior.

India’s health minister Harsh Varadhan insisted that the Indian government was providing “all possible support” to combat the epidemic.

Since June 1, more than 700 cases of the disease have been recorded, though there are signs that the disease has been slowing, with no new deaths reported on Monday. (VOA)