Tuesday May 21, 2019
Home World Quetta Terror...

Quetta Terror Attack: At least 60 killed, over 100 injured in Pakistan Police Academy Attack

More than 60 police cadets were killed in the attack while about 115 were injured

0
//
Representational image. Pixabay

Karachi, 25 October 2016: The attack on the Police Training Academy in Pakistan’s Quetta has left over 60 cadets besides three militants dead and 118 injured.

One of the deadliest attacks in the country this year took place at the police academy on Saryab Road in the Balochistan capital which began soon after 11 pm on Monday.

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world

According to PTI, a security source said, “More than 60 police cadets were killed in the attack while about 115 were injured.”

Home minister of Balochistan province, Sarfaraz Bugti tweeted that 118 people were injured.
Bugti told the reporters that the attack was carried out by three terrorists “cycling back on an earlier estimate by Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) of five to six terrorists.”

He further added that when the attack took place there were around 700 police cadets and recruits in the college hostel.

Frontier Corps IG, Major General Sher Afghan said, after being cornered two of the militants had blown themselves up, and one was killed in the exchange of fire with the security forces. All three of them were wearing suicide vests.

NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today

He added, “The three terrorists were believed to be from the Al-Alimi faction of the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi militant group affiliated with the Pakistani Taliban.”

He told the reporters that the terrorists were in communication with the handlers in Afghanistan and was taking instructions from them.

Security forces “cleared the college in four hours”, he added.
Police, meanwhile said, “The compound had been cleared but search operations were still on. Local media footage showed some security vehicles leaving the college.”

Bugti confirmed that the injured people, that is, mostly police cadets and security personnel, was shifted to the civil hospital, Bolan Medical College hospital and Military hospital in Quetta.
He added, “The condition of some is critical.”

Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates

The attack came a day after the separatist gunmen for the Baloch Liberation Army shot dead two coast guards and a civilian near the Gwadar port, in the coastal town of Jiwani of the same province.

-by NewsGram with PTI inputs

Next Story

Aadhaar Helpline Mystery: French Security Expert Tweets of doing a Full Disclosure Tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App

0
cryptocurrency. google
Google comes up with a new feature

Google’s admission that it had in 2014 inadvertently coded the 112 distress number and the UIDAI helpline number into its setup wizard for Android devices triggered another controversy on Saturday as India’s telecom regulator had only recommended the use of 112 as an emergency number in April 2015.

After a large section of smartphone users in India saw a toll-free helpline number of UIDAI saved in their phone-books by default, Google issued a statement, saying its “internal review revealed that in 2014, the then UIDAI helpline number and the 112 distress helpline number were inadvertently coded into the SetUp wizard of the Android release given to OEMs for use in India and has remained there since”.

Aadhaar Helpline Number Mystery: French security expert tweets of doing a full disclosure tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App, Image: Wikimedia Commons.

However, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recommended only in April 2015 that the number 112 be adopted as the single emergency number for the country.

According to Google, “since the numbers get listed on a user’s contact list, these get  transferred accordingly to the contacts on any new device”.

Google was yet to comment on the new development.

Meanwhile, French security expert that goes by the name of Elliot Alderson and has been at the core of the entire Aadhaar controversy, tweeted on Saturday: “I just found something interesting. I will probably do full disclosure tomorrow”.

“I’m digging into the code of the @Google SetupWizard app and I found that”.

“As far as I can see this object is not used in the current code, so there is no implications. This is just a poor coding practice in term of security,” he further tweeted.

On Friday, both the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) as well as the telecom operators washed their hand of the issue.

While the telecom industry denied any role in the strange incident, the UIDAI said that he strange incident, the UIDAI said that some vested interests were trying to create “unwarranted confusion” in the public and clarified that it had not asked any manufacturer or telecom service provider to provide any such facility.

Twitter was abuzz with the new development after a huge uproar due to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Chairman R.S. Sharma’s open Aadhaar challenge to critics and hackers.

Ethical hackers exposed at least 14 personal details of the TRAI Chairman, including mobile numbers, home address, date of birth, PAN number and voter ID among others. (IANS)

Also Read: Why India Is Still Nowhere Near Securing Its Citizens’ Data?