Dec 14, 2016: Russian President Vladimir Putin has been named the world’s most powerful man for 2016 by Forbes magazine, the fourth straight year he has won.
U.S. President-elect Donald Trump came in second, according to the magazine, which issued its annual list Wednesday.
“Russia’s president has exerted his country’s influence in nearly every corner of the globe,” according to the business magazine.
NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.
Forbes said the 64-year-old president “continues to get what he wants,” as he is “unconstrained by conventional global norms (and) his reach has magnified in recent years.”
While Putin maintained his hold on the title, Trump was a big mover on the list, rising from number 72 last year to two this year. The reason for the move, according to the magazine, is his “seeming immunity to scandal” having both houses of Congress from the Republican Party as well as his net worth.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel was listed as the third most powerful person by the magazine, and China’s Xi Jinping took fourth, while Pope Francis was fifth.
Outgoing U.S. President Barack Obama dropped from number two last year to 48 this year. (VOA)
Google’s admission that it had in 2014 inadvertently coded the 112 distress number and the UIDAI helpline number into its setup wizard for Android devices triggered another controversy on Saturday as India’s telecom regulator had only recommended the use of 112 as an emergency number in April 2015.
After a large section of smartphone users in India saw a toll-free helpline number of UIDAI saved in their phone-books by default, Google issued a statement, saying its “internal review revealed that in 2014, the then UIDAI helpline number and the 112 distress helpline number were inadvertently coded into the SetUp wizard of the Android release given to OEMs for use in India and has remained there since”.
However, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recommended only in April 2015 that the number 112 be adopted as the single emergency number for the country.
According to Google, “since the numbers get listed on a user’s contact list, these get transferred accordingly to the contacts on any new device”.
Google was yet to comment on the new development.
Meanwhile, French security expert that goes by the name of Elliot Alderson and has been at the core of the entire Aadhaar controversy, tweeted on Saturday: “I just found something interesting. I will probably do full disclosure tomorrow”.
“I’m digging into the code of the @Google SetupWizard app and I found that”.
“As far as I can see this object is not used in the current code, so there is no implications. This is just a poor coding practice in term of security,” he further tweeted.
On Friday, both the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) as well as the telecom operators washed their hand of the issue.
While the telecom industry denied any role in the strange incident, the UIDAI said that he strange incident, the UIDAI said that some vested interests were trying to create “unwarranted confusion” in the public and clarified that it had not asked any manufacturer or telecom service provider to provide any such facility.
Twitter was abuzz with the new development after a huge uproar due to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Chairman R.S. Sharma’s open Aadhaar challenge to critics and hackers.
Ethical hackers exposed at least 14 personal details of the TRAI Chairman, including mobile numbers, home address, date of birth, PAN number and voter ID among others. (IANS)