Saturday November 25, 2017
Home India ‘Tezpur...

‘Tezpur-1962’: An incident that never found a place in History

The film has won the National Award for the Best Investigative Film and documents about the town that was witness to hundreds of people who had to evacuate due to the fear of foreign invasion.

0
723
A sculpture at Tezpur, Assam. Image source: Wikimedia Commons

Often referred as the cultural capital of Assam, Tezpur is located on the banks of the Brahmaputra. This place is of utmost importance because during 1962 Sino-India war, this town was witness to hundreds of people who had to evacuate due to the fear of foreign invasion. Samujjal Kashyap, a Guwahati based engineer turned director has tried to catch a glimpse of what they had been through by his documentary “Tezpur-1962”.

On being asked how he decided to make a film on Tezpur, Kashyap said, he came to know about the Youth Emergency Organisation (YEO) that was formed during the evacuation of Tezpur that is approximately 170 kilometres from Guwahati. Even though many believe that everyone left the area, but he came to know that YEO was there to patrol that area. This is how the idea to make a fictional film about YEO struck him. The purpose to make this film was to bring forth the efforts made by YEO that were not recognized and remained untold in the pages of history.

800px-A_view_of_Chowk_Market,_Tezpur
A market at Tezpur. Image source: Wikimedia Commons

The town was evacuated because of the wrong assessment by the then centre. Apart from the centre, the Foreign Policy and Forward Policy (which included building of military outposts and patrolling in disputed areas) of Jawaharlal Nehru is to be blamed as well. During that time, the Indian army was not too capable of handling this sort of warfare and during that time, the Chinese troops intruded the area at a lightning speed.

In the documentary, Journalist Mrinal Talukdar said, there is very little information available in the about the incident. The primary reason is that the incident was a disgraceful one, the battle was lost by Indians and that the Government was prepared to take an initiative to bring forth it’s shameful past. Therefore the incident was written about mainly in print but there is hardly any video documentation on it.

Related Article: Meet Prakash Jha who is making a documentary on plight of Pakistani Hindus

It is a government-sponsored project, so I could not talk about many things. For instance, earlier the Tibetan government collected tax in Dirang. I could not mention that in my documentary. Also, about the McMahon Line, the demarcation was not done properly and the Chinese did not agree on it. I could not mention that either,” Kashyap told to a leading newspaper.

There were many hurdles that Kashyap had to face while shooting the documentary. The Twang roads were in bad condition and due to extreme weather conditions, shooting was difficult. People who were interviewed for the documentary were too old to feature in it as throughout he was concerned about their health. Joshy Joseph, a documentary filmmaker has helped him with the editing, adds Kashyap.

Despite too many hurdles, Kashyap was successful in documenting the incident by giving everyone a taste of these people’s lives. This year, in 2016, the film has won the National Award for the Best Investigative Film.

 

Next Story

Journalist Killing Protest Creates Chaos, Leads to Shutdown in Tripura

Many activists of different political parties were injured in clashes as the BJP, Congress and other parties called a shutdown on Thursday to protest the killing of a journalist by a Tripura State Rifles (TSR) trooper

0
28
Journalist killing
Journalist killing leads to clashes in Tripura. IANS.

Agartala, Nov 23: Many activists of different political parties were injured in clashes while normal life was hit in Left ruled Tripura as the BJP, Congress and other parties called a shutdown on Thursday to protest the killing of a journalist by a Tripura State Rifles (TSR) trooper.

“Around 25 activists of different political parties including BJP and CPI-M were injured following the clashes in various places across Tripura,” a police official said.

Police said around 600 activists of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and other parties were arrested for picketing in front of government offices in different parts of the state.

Most of the government, semi-government, private offices, educational institutions, shops and business establishments were closed due to the strike called by the BJP, the Congress, the Trinamool Congress and the Indigenous Nationalist Party of Tripura.

Banks and financial institutions were also closed in view of the shutdown, which was opposed by the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) led Left Front.

All vehicles, except those of security forces, went off the roads. The bandh did not affect flights and train services in and out of Tripura.

“The strike was successful and spontaneous,” state BJP President Biplab Kumar Deb said.

Security forces led by senior police officials have been deployed across the state to prevent any untoward incident.

According to police, TSR Second Battalion Rifleman Nandu Kumar Reang shot dead Sudip Datta Bhowmik, 50, at Radha Kishore Nagar, 25 km from Agartala, following an altercation on Tuesday. Reang was the bodyguard of Second Battalion Commandant Tapan Debbarma. The slain journalist had gone to meet Debbarma at the battalion headquarters.

Police have arrested both the trooper and the Commandant. The Chief Judicial Magistrate here sent the duo to 10 days in police custody.

The state government, which has handed over the case to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID), also constituted a four-member Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the incident.

Bhowmik, who was a reporter with “Syandan Patrika” and television channel “Vanguard”, is survived by his wife, a government teacher, and two children.

Most of the local newspapers left their editorial blank on Thursday with a thick black border to register their strong protest over the killing.

Numerous theories and claims have surfaced regarding the reason behind the journalist’s killing, the second incident involving a media man in the state. Earlier, 28-year-old TV reporter Santanu Bhowmik was hacked to death while covering an event of a tribal party at Mandai in western Tripura on September 20.

“Syandan Patrikaa” editor and Tripura Newspaper Society President Subal Kumar Dey alleged that his reporter was targeted by the commandant as the former had written many stories against him in the newspaper.

“It was a pre-planned cold-blooded assassination and they tried to hide the body to destroy evidence. Bhowmik was killed as he had exposed the TSR commandant’s illegal acts,” Dey told the media.

Police, however, claim Bhowmik had stolen an envelope containing a huge amount of money or some confidential documents from Debbarma’s table while the latter was in the toilet after their meeting in the office chamber.

Tripura Governor Tathagata Roy, who is now in Delhi, has said that he will submit a report to Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Bhowmik’s killing.

With the state Assembly polls due in February, the journalist’s murder has heated up the political atmosphere in the Left ruled state.

The ruling CPI-M criticised the BJP for politicising the killing of the journalist.

“The ‘bandh’ called by BJP is totally undemocratic. It would hamper normal lives and especially the annual examinations started in schools and ongoing revision of electoral rolls for the next Assembly elections,” CPI-M Central Committee member Gautam Das said.

The Congress has demanded a high-level inquiry into the murder. The BJP has demanded the resignation of Chief Minister Manik Sarkar.

Various journalists organisations in the northeast including the Tripura Working Journalists Association, Tripura Journalists Union (TJU) and the Agartala Press Club have also denounced the killing and demanded a probe.

The TJU has also demanded the resignation of the state Home Minister, a portfolio held by Sarkar. (IANS)

Next Story

Dalai Lama says that India and China have great potential

The spiritual leader feels that both the countries are doing compassionate works

0
38
Dalai Lama talks about India and China
Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai says that India and China can work together. VOA

New Delhi, Nov 19

Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama on Sunday said India and China have “great potential” and they could work together at a “practical level”.

“I think, a great potential… India and China combined are doing more compassionate work… At a practical level also. Imagine two billion people working together,” he told reporters here after inaugurating Smile Foundation’s initiative, The World of Children.

The spiritual leader, who has lived in India in self-imposed exile since 1959, said neither country had the “ability to destroy the other”.

“Whether you like it or not, you have to live side by side,” he said.

Underlining the ancient spiritual connection between the two countries, he said Chinese Buddhist Hsuan Tsang visited Nalanda (now in Bihar) and brought Nalanda Buddhist traditions to China.

“All thinkers of Nalanda are Indian. So Nalanda’s tradition is India’s tradition,” he said.

The Nalanda traditions had turned Tibetans, who were warriors, into more compassionate, peaceful and non-violent nation, he said.

“So sometimes in Delhi, teasing my Indian friend, (I say) if Tibet still remained in the previous way of life, like Mongols, Chinese invasion may not have taken place,” the Dalai Lama said in a lighter vein.

He said nobody in the world wanted violence but it was happening “because our minds are dominated by destructive emotions due to short-sightedness”.

“Nobody wants problems. Yet, many problems are our own creation.”

The Dalai Lama said the existing modern education was oriented to material values. India can take lead in improving the education system by combining modern education with ancient knowledge, he said. (IANS)

Next Story

Manushi Chhillar from India Wins the Miss World 2017 Title

India's Manushi Chillar won the coveted Miss World 2017 pageant here, 16 years after Priyanka Chopra won the title in 2000.

0
108
Miss World
Manushi Chhillar has been crowned as Miss World 2017. Instagram #ManushiChhillar

China, November 19: India’s Manushi Chhillar won the coveted Miss World 2017 pageant, 16 years after Priyanka Chopra won the title in 2000.

Chhillar competed against 108 contestants from various countries at a glittering event held at Sanya City Arena here.

Miss World 2016 winner Puerto Rico’s Stephanie Del Valle gave away the coveted crown to the winner.

Chhillar, who is from Haryana, had earlier this year won the Femina Miss India 2017.

Miss world
Anti Ageing was the official skin care expert for Manushi Chhillar at the Miss World 2017 pageant. Instagram #ManushiChhillar

India, England, France, Kenya and Mexico grabbed the top five spots at the peagant.

Manushi, born to doctor parents, studied in St. Thomas School in New Delhi and Bhagat Phool Singh Government Medical College for Women in Sonepat.

Her entire family including brother and sister were present and they looked excited watching Manushi grabbing top five spot.

As many as 108 beauty queens from different parts of the world participated in the prestigious pageant. (IANS)