Wednesday March 20, 2019
Home Lead Story Unlocking And...

Unlocking Android Phones With ‘Ok Google’ Ends

For Google's phone and tablet users, this will mean both a loss of functionality and a significant gain in terms of security

0
//
Google assistant new feature

Google is getting rid of the ability to unlock your phone with Voice Match and the “Ok Google” command in a new update to the Google app further securing the system.

The search-engine giant has decided to limit the “Voice Match” unlock feature to only launch the Assistant interface on the lock screen instead of unlocking the Android device on the basis of voice match.

“Moto Z” and “Pixel XL” devices had already lost the functionality with the Google app’s 9.27 update.

With the 9.31 update, other devices that still had continued to have full voice unlocking powers, will also lose it, Engadget reported on Friday.

Previously, with an “Ok Google” command and question, the device would unlock the screen to the app concerned.

Google Assistant
Google Assistant. (IANS)

From here on users will have to unlock their devices to go beyond just personal results like Google Calendar, email, reminders and shopping lists.

Google had already chosen not to include the “Unlock with Voice Match” feature when it launched the “Pixel 3” and “Pixel 3XL”.

At the CES 2019, the company announced just days ago that it would also be doing away with the feature on all Android devices, the report said.

Also Read- Most Twitter Users in India Unaware of How to Report Abuse

This step would safeguard phones from anybody, who could try to barge into the device on the basis of a similar voice or a recording of the user’s own voice.

For Google’s phone and tablet users, this will mean both a loss of functionality and a significant gain in terms of security, the report noted. (IANS)

Next Story

New Zealand Firms to Pull Ads From Facebook, Google

Spark's move was part of an international response, which also saw Disney and Nestle pull ads from the site

0
Google, smart compose
The Google name is displayed outside the company's office in London, Britain. VOA

A collective of some of New Zealand’s biggest companies is set to pull ads from Facebook and Google in the wake of the March 15 Christchurch mosques shootings in which the gunman live-streamed his massacre of 50 people.

Using a GoPro camera, the gunman broadcast extremely graphic footage of him shooting people at the Al Noor Mosque via Facebook Live. The livestream was available to watch on social media for hours after the attack.

Besides being livestreamed on Facebook, the video, lasting 17 minutes, was shared repeatedly on YouTube and Twitter, before being removed by the social media giant.

The New Zealand Herald said on Monday that the collective, including ASB Bank, Lotto NZ, Burger King, Spark, has come together to take a stand against the harm caused by unmoderated content on the Internet.

At this stage, it is still unclear how extensive the pull-back will be or for how long the companies are likely to pull their digital ads.

Other brands have also acted independently, The New Zealand Herald reported.

facebook
Facebook: The platform allows for different types of content, which makes it ideal for diverse, interactive and entertaining content.

Kiwibank suspended all digital advertising on March 15 shortly after the carnage took place at the Al Noor mosque and the Linwood Avenue Masjid that also left over 40 others injured.

On Sunday, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said that she intended to ask Facebook how the gunman was able to livestream the massacre.

Facebook has on its part said that as many as 1.5 million videos of the attack were removed from its platform in the first 24 hours.

Also Read- Here’s How Motorola Lost its Grip in India

This is not the first time New Zealand companies have pulled ads from these platforms.

Earlier this month, telecom company Spark pulled all its advertising from YouTube over concerns about paedophilic content.

Spark’s move was part of an international response, which also saw Disney and Nestle pull ads from the site. (IANS)