Tuesday October 16, 2018
Home U.S.A. US: No seats ...

US: No seats available for Students who are Expelled from Mainstream Schools in Norfolk

The rate of student's exclusion in Norfolk have doubled since last year

0
//
95
Student workshop (Representational Image), Wikimedia
Republish
Reprint

November 19, 2016: More than 40 children are waiting to get admission in the SSSfN (Short Stay School for Norfolk). SSSfN gives admission to students who are expelled from the mainstream schools of the city. SSSfN has many sites across the city including Douglas Bader School.

According to the Department for Education, Norfolk’s schools exclude more children proportionally than any other city in Eastern England. The exclusion rate, at the primary level, is double than Suffolk’s.

The number has doubled since last month. People of the city are outraged as students have been sitting at home since weeks. This has seriously affected the mental health of the students, mentioned edp24.co.uk.

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.

The SSSfN is now operating on the policy “one in, one out”. The number of pupils, who are permanently expelled, has increased from 195 to 284 since last year. All the seats of SSSfN are full.

According to edp24.co.uk, it is the legal duty of the Norfolk County Council to find a school for all children. North Norfolk MP Norman Lamb has filed a motion to debate, in the House of Commons, for school exclusions. With the increasing number of exclusions, the council needs to work on finding school spaces for children.

Norman questioned the council on their responsibilities towards children’s education. He told Eastern Daily Press, “The numbers of excluded children in Norfolk is a failure of the system. The dramatic increase causes me massive concern. Many schools avoid exclusion while some other schools exclude far too often.”

He added, “We are massively letting them and their families down, but we are also storing up trouble for the future by failing in our legal duty to provide them with an education.”

NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today.

According to EDP, whatever these students do to receive expulsion, they don’t deserve this abandonment. The number of expelled students is continuously rising. Sitting at home is the worst place for the children.

Executive Head of SSSfN, Des Reynolds, said that the only way to tackle this problem is stopping the mainstream schools from excluding so many students.

North Walsham High, Norfolk has significantly less number of students sent to SSSfN. The Head teacher, Neil Powell, believes that students should be excluded only for serious red line issues like drugs, or weapon offences, rather than their behavior issues.

The Eastern Daily Press spoke to a mother of a child, who was excluded, on the condition of anonymity. She said that, “After the stress of our child being permanently excluded from school we thought we would get help from Norfolk County Council, but there was no help given. It has been and still is a frustrating time for all the family.”

Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates.

Until the matter is resolved, the Local authority have arranged for a private tutor for two hours a day. But this is not enough. The students’ health is worsening and they feel bewildered.

Councillors of the North County Council have set up a Task and Finish group to investigate the exclusions and the issues with the Short stay as well as the mainstream schools of the county.

A Spokesperson of the Council told Eastern Daily Press, “There is constant turnover of pupils at the SSSfN, as we reintegrate young people back into mainstream schools once they are ready, but this term we are continuing to fully use all our commissioned places at the school. Our officers are working with school leaders to understand the reasons why the level of exclusions is increasing in Norfolk, as it is nationally.”

Prepared by Diksha Arya of NewsGram. Twitter: @diksha_arya53

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

Next Story

Aadhaar Helpline Mystery: French Security Expert Tweets of doing a Full Disclosure Tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App

0
cryptocurrency. google
Pichai met with senior Republicans on Friday to discuss their concerns, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy said. Wikimedia Commons

Google’s admission that it had in 2014 inadvertently coded the 112 distress number and the UIDAI helpline number into its setup wizard for Android devices triggered another controversy on Saturday as India’s telecom regulator had only recommended the use of 112 as an emergency number in April 2015.

After a large section of smartphone users in India saw a toll-free helpline number of UIDAI saved in their phone-books by default, Google issued a statement, saying its “internal review revealed that in 2014, the then UIDAI helpline number and the 112 distress helpline number were inadvertently coded into the SetUp wizard of the Android release given to OEMs for use in India and has remained there since”.

Aadhaar Helpline Number Mystery: French security expert tweets of doing a full disclosure tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App, Image: Wikimedia Commons.

However, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recommended only in April 2015 that the number 112 be adopted as the single emergency number for the country.

According to Google, “since the numbers get listed on a user’s contact list, these get  transferred accordingly to the contacts on any new device”.

Google was yet to comment on the new development.

Meanwhile, French security expert that goes by the name of Elliot Alderson and has been at the core of the entire Aadhaar controversy, tweeted on Saturday: “I just found something interesting. I will probably do full disclosure tomorrow”.

“I’m digging into the code of the @Google SetupWizard app and I found that”.

“As far as I can see this object is not used in the current code, so there is no implications. This is just a poor coding practice in term of security,” he further tweeted.

On Friday, both the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) as well as the telecom operators washed their hand of the issue.

While the telecom industry denied any role in the strange incident, the UIDAI said that he strange incident, the UIDAI said that some vested interests were trying to create “unwarranted confusion” in the public and clarified that it had not asked any manufacturer or telecom service provider to provide any such facility.

Twitter was abuzz with the new development after a huge uproar due to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Chairman R.S. Sharma’s open Aadhaar challenge to critics and hackers.

Ethical hackers exposed at least 14 personal details of the TRAI Chairman, including mobile numbers, home address, date of birth, PAN number and voter ID among others. (IANS)

Also Read: Why India Is Still Nowhere Near Securing Its Citizens’ Data?