Tuesday May 21, 2019
Home Politics Presidential ...

Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton’s Syria Policy would Bring World War 3, says Donald Trump

Clinton's campaign criticized Trump as backing Russian President Vladimir Putin, who wants Assad to remain in power

0
//
Republican U.S. presidential nominee Donald Trump rallies with supporters at the Million Air Orlando airplane hangar in Sanford, Florida, U.S. Oct. 25, 2016. VOA

USA, October 26, 2016: Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump says Democrat Hillary Clinton’s Syria policies would lead to another world war.

“What we should do is focus on ISIS. We should not be focusing on Syria,” Trump said in an interview with Reuters. “You’re going to end up in World War Three over Syria if we listen to Hillary Clinton.”

The Syrian conflict is a complex web of competing for the local and international influence that began in 2011 as peaceful protests against President Bashar al-Assad, but for the past two years has also included a fight against Islamic State militants. Russia and Iran back Assad against the rebels, while opposition fighters have support from countries such as the United States, Turkey and Saudi Arabia.

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.

Assad’s role

Clinton has proposed in many ways continuing U.S. efforts to go after Islamic State fighters and wants Assad to leave power. But she also supports establishing a no-fly zone in order to protect civilians, something President Barack Obama has resisted and which would potentially set up conflict with Syrian and Russian forces.

Trump told Reuters Assad’s role in the future of Syria is “secondary” to the goal of defeating Islamic State, and that the Syrian leader is stronger today than he was three years ago.

Clinton’s campaign criticized Trump as backing Russian President Vladimir Putin, who wants Assad to remain in power.

“Once again, he is parroting Putin’s talking points and playing to Americans’ fears, all while refusing to lay out any plans of his own for defeating ISIS or alleviating humanitarian suffering in Syria,” said a statement from Clinton spokesman Jesse Lehrich.

NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today.

‘Rigged’ polls, media

Trump also repeated his assertion that the media is rigging polls to show he is behind Clinton, and criticized the Republican Party for what he called a lack of support.

“The people are very angry with the leadership of this party, because this is an election that we will win 100 percent if we had support from the top. I think we’re going to win it anyway,” he said.

Trump’s campaign finance chairman, Steven Mnuchin, made the unusual announcement that Trump will no longer take part in big-money fundraisers that are key for the Republican Party to support congressional candidates.

Trump Victory, a joint fundraising committee by the party and the presidential candidate’s campaign, is now “wound down” after holding its last event last week, Mnuchin told The Washington Post. The candidate himself will spend the last two weeks of the campaign holding rallies and taking his message directly to the voters in person, he added.

Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates.

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton smiles as Democratic vice presidential candidate Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va., speaks during a campaign event at the Taylor Allderdice High School, Oct. 22, 2016, in Pittsburgh, Pa. VOA
Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton smiles as Democratic vice presidential candidate Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va., speaks during a campaign event at the Taylor Allderdice High School, Oct. 22, 2016, in Pittsburgh, Pa. VOA

Latest polls

An average of major national polls shows Clinton leading Trump 45 percent to 40 percent with less than two weeks before the November 8 election.

Clinton urged her supporters Tuesday to not let those poll numbers affect whether they vote.

“I hope you will come out and vote because it’s going to be a close election,” she said. “Pay no attention to the polls. Don’t forget, don’t get complacent, because we’ve got to turn people out.” (VOA)

Next Story

US President Donald Trump Declares National Emergency Over Cyber Threats

The world's third largest smartphone maker, on the contrary, has repeatedly rubbished the allegations

0
tariffs, chinese imports
U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks on a range of subjects during an event in the Roosevelt Room at the White House in Washington, May 9, 2019. VOA

With a motive to protect US communications network from “foreign adversaries”, President Donald Trump declared a national emergency on Wednesday.

The executive order gives the federal government powers to restrict US companies from doing business transactions with certain foreign tech suppliers “posing an unacceptable risk to the national security”, said White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders in a statement.

According to the statement, Trump signed the executive order as “part of his commitment to protecting the information and communications technology and services” of the US.

“The President has made it clear that this Administration will do what it takes to keep America safe and prosperous, and to protect America from foreign adversaries who are actively and increasingly creating and exploiting vulnerabilities in information and communications technology infrastructure and services in the United States,” said the White House statement.

Donald Trump
US President Donald Trump earlier criticised social media platforms including Facebook and Twitter for anti-conservative bias. VOA

“This Executive Order declares a national emergency with respect to the threats against information and communications technology and services in the United States and delegates authority to the Secretary of Commerce to prohibit transactions posing an unacceptable risk to the national security,’ it added.

If reports are to be believed, Trump’s order is directed at Chinese telecom major Huawei. US believes that Huawei’s equipment could be used by China for surveillance.

Also Read- EC Orders Twitter to Remove Exit Poll-related Tweets

The world’s third largest smartphone maker, on the contrary, has repeatedly rubbished the allegations.

Last year, Trump signed a bill that barred the US government and its contractors from using components from Huawei and several other Chinese communications companies. (IANS)