Born and raised in India. Tao Porchon Lynch is a living epitome of potential and strength. Practicing Yoga since last 70 years and still going strong at 98 is nothing less than a wonder.
“Yoga is the joining of our mind, body and spirit. It is like nature, everything is always recycled and brought full circle. I find that I can heal myself if I do what nature does. It’s taken away stress and has helped me through crisis”, she says.
She has made to the Guinness World Records for being the world’s oldest Yoga teacher. She is an amazing ball dancer and has also made an appearance in America’s Got Talent.
She teaches yoga in New York. The former model/actress is also the author of two books and her autobiography namely, Dancing Light: The Spiritual Side of Being Through the Eyes of a Modern Yoga Master which made her the winner of IPPY Award, 2016 and International Book Awards, 2016.
She was born in Pondicherry, India. Her father was French and her mother was a Manipuri. At a very young age of 8 years, she witnessed a group practicing Yoga. Since then she became interested in Yoga and there was no looking back after. Tao even marched with Mahatma Gandhi twice.
She studied Yoga from eminent personalities like Sri Aurbindo and Indra Devi. She became the founder of Yoga Teachers Alliance in 1967. In 1982, she set up the Westchester Institute of Yoga in New York.
She has released a DVD on yoga in association with Tara Stiles titled Yoga with Tao Porchon-Lynch and has published a book based on meditation- Reflections: The Yogic Journey of Life
She has also been a great Ballroom Tango dancer. And has stood first in many dancing competitions. She has also been the Vice-President of the American Wine Society (AWS), southern New York in 1970 and has judged a number of Wine competitions.
She lost her husband in the year 1982. The couple never had children. Tao has had 3 hip replacement surgeries and still continues to do Yoga with one rod in her leg. She is a vegetarian and loves wearing high heels. Besides Yoga, she also does meditation. The Yoga instructor still drives a smart car.
What ties Kareena Kapoor Khan, Deepika Padukone, Shilpa Shetty Kundra, Jacqueline Fernandez and Alia Bhatt together? Their love for yoga.
The Bollywood divas credit their fitness level to their yoga routine. IANS takes a look at the stars who took to yoga and inspired many others to follow suit.
* Kareena Kapoor Khan: It is known that Kareena’s fitness journey is a result of yoga, exercise and a strict meal plan. She first stunned one and all with her ‘size-zero’ look in “Tashan”, and continues to set fitness goals with her workout regime. The actress might not be on social media, but images and videos giving a glimpse into how she adds yoga to her regime have surfaced on the social media making one thing clear — she is super-focused on getting fitter each day.
* Shilpa Shetty Kundra: For many, she is the poster girl for yoga. She has yoga DVDs, a YouTube channel of her yoga clips, and a fitness app, where she has a #MindItYogaProgram.
On her love for yoga, Shilpa had told IANS: “One of the very important things that yoga has taught me is to be emotionally secure and stay centered and connected to myself… Yoga helps to align our body’s chakras and strengthen our inner confidence. Once you are emotionally strong, how people perceive you, does not affect your personality. Yoga is the need of the hour.”
* Bipasha Basu: She is a yoga freak, and has several yoga DVDs and videos to prove it. In fact, Bipasha along with husband and actor Karan Singh Grover, gives couple goals by doing couple yoga. She says “he is a true Yogi. My inspiration everyday”.
* Alia Bhatt: She is another celebrity who practices yoga regularly. It is believed that she practices ‘Ashtanga yoga’ at least two times in a week, and also credits yoga for her glowing skin and toned physique.
* Malaika Arora: She has been inspiring everyone for long to add yoga into their lifestyle — and her social media is a testimony to it. “Yoga is a way of life that motivates you, grounds you, tones you mentally and physically, makes you mindful and invokes a feeling of happiness in you,” said Malaika, who co-founded Diva Yoga, and has invested in yoga and wellness startup SARVA.
* Jacqueline Fernandez: She likes to call herself ‘Yogini’, and says yoga is an integral part of her life. The actress holds yoga sessions and uses her social media to share images doing yoga, especially pole yoga.
“In the past couple of years, yoga has slowly become an integral part of me, and I am so proud of how far I have come… It has been 10 years in Bollywood and million points to yoga, for being my ultimate stress-buster,” Jacqueline said.
* Kangana Ranaut: Yoga is the secret behind Kangana’s toned figure. The “Queen” star has been practicing yoga for a while now and expressed her love for the ancient Indian art in an interview to a magazine. She said: “Yoga is a gift and I actually think that I have survived due to it. Through meditation, pranayam and yoga postures, I could vent out a lot of restless energy.”
* Deepika Padukone: If you want to have a svelte figure like Deepika Padukone, then the formula is a mix of cardio, gym, dance and yoga.
* Sonam Kapoor: Her fitness mantras include yoga, work out and pilate. Opening up about her struggle to lose weight, Sonam had shared that yoga helped her achieve the goal.
“I pushed myself too hard at spin classes, did power yoga for hours at a stretch, and developed an unhealthy relationship with food. Some weeks, desperate to drop a couple of kilos, I would simply not eat,” she said.
* Mouni Roy: She became an Internet sensation — thanks to her yoga poses. Recently, she posted a series of yoga videos of her trying out various asanas of the fitness regime — setting fitness goals for many.
Other stars who practice yoga regularly include names like Lara Dutta and Bhagyashree.
Deepika Mehta, who has trained Alia, Jacqueline, Katrina Kaif, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Deepika, and is associated with Tata Sky’s value added service – Tata Sky Fitness, says yoga makes one’s quality of life better.
Mehta said: “In today’s world finding a mindful practice is very important for people because we have so much distraction, technology and stress. The technique of yoga gives you distance from the stress of your life and helps to calm your body and mind. Yoga is extremely important for a healthy life as it gives you a great sense of health and fitness.” (IANS)